ALL-FEMALE engineer team designed the Miami bridge that collapsed last week

While my degree is in chemical, not civil engineering I take enough cross-discipline continuing education to probably qualify more than you to have an opinion on this.

What i am trying to say is the lack of installation of the stays, if they were non-structural, has nothing to do with the collapse.

Edit:

From wikipedia:

Florida International University pedestrian bridge collapse - Wikipedia

Thanks for the info. That gives more detail than I had seen before. I was under the impression that the collapsed section was the entire bridge, and there was a support structure designed for midway of that span. 174 Ft is certainly long enough to require cable support, depending on the design. We can offer conjecture all we want, but as I said before, we will eventually know the whole story. It's important for them to determine the exact cause of the collapse, and to distribute that information as widely as possible to prevent future tragedies.

174 ft for a truss bridge is well within the structural loading capabilities, of steel. Here they used concrete in a novel way, and who know if this contributed to the problem.

One obvious fuck-up was allowing traffic to continue during a tensioning activity. This is something they should have done at night with the road closed,

I'm confident that the design was vetted to several times the expected maximum stress. They usually don't just throw up a structure and hope it will work. I'm guessing some questionable installation procedures. Of course, until the investigation is complete, anything you or I might think is just conjecture.

The Kansas City Hyatt collapse was caused by an improper installation, but THAT was caused by a designed installation that was nearly impossible to do.

The only real evidence we have so far is:

1. The span fell from one side, which dragged down the rest of structure
2. There were noticeable cracks in the area of the failure.
3. The installer was performing tensioning when the failure started
4. During the tensioning, traffic was not prevented from driving under the installed span.

What we don't know about the above is:

1. What type of cracks were they (surface or structural)
2. Where in the tensioning process they were
Tensioner rod blew out while being tightened is what I heard....Broke near the crane where the workers were on top.

The question is was that enough to cause the collapse without other factors, i.e. bad design, bad materials, improper installation procedure, etc.

Most failures are not single point, they are cascade failures where multiple things have to go wrong to cause an given end result.

Thanks for the info. That gives more detail than I had seen before. I was under the impression that the collapsed section was the entire bridge, and there was a support structure designed for midway of that span. 174 Ft is certainly long enough to require cable support, depending on the design. We can offer conjecture all we want, but as I said before, we will eventually know the whole story. It's important for them to determine the exact cause of the collapse, and to distribute that information as widely as possible to prevent future tragedies.

174 ft for a truss bridge is well within the structural loading capabilities, of steel. Here they used concrete in a novel way, and who know if this contributed to the problem.

One obvious fuck-up was allowing traffic to continue during a tensioning activity. This is something they should have done at night with the road closed,

I'm confident that the design was vetted to several times the expected maximum stress. They usually don't just throw up a structure and hope it will work. I'm guessing some questionable installation procedures. Of course, until the investigation is complete, anything you or I might think is just conjecture.

The Kansas City Hyatt collapse was caused by an improper installation, but THAT was caused by a designed installation that was nearly impossible to do.

4. During the tensioning, traffic was not prevented from driving under the installed span.

Tensioner rod blew out while being tightened is what I heard....Broke near the crane where the workers were on top.

The question is was that enough to cause the collapse without other factors, i.e. bad design, bad materials, improper installation procedure, etc.

Most failures are not single point, they are cascade failures where multiple things have to go wrong to cause an given end result.
a video i saw stated there was a last minute change to the installation plan because of the space required on one side of the street. The load vehicles were supposed to be positioned in exact, preconsidered locations to move and place the bridge. One vehicle had to be re-positioned.

a video i saw stated there was a last minute change to the installation plan because of the space required on one side of the street. The load vehicles were supposed to be positioned in exact, preconsidered locations to move and place the bridge. One vehicle had to be re-positioned.

That may be a big thing, if it turns out to be a factor.

We'll never know what happened. Everything is being covered up to protect this all-bimbo team that designed the bridge.

We'll never know what happened. Everything is being covered up to protect this all-bimbo team that designed the bridge.

You may never know, but I suspect there are a lot of things you will never know.

Maybe someone should start another thread on this so we don't have to deal with bottom feeders like shootspeeders.

It's pretty much everyone else's fault except the designers, because we're girls! Yay us!

Now if white men designed the bridge all you self-loathing fools would know exactly whose fault it was.

Is there anything women excel at?
Pregnancy, mothering, care-giving, and maybe some verbal-oriented occupations. Let's end government-coerced sexual preferences for women and see where the chips fall.

Yup - women have people skills!! HAHAHA. They make good social workers and english teachers.

All useful occupations like scientist, businessman, and engineer are 80% male and would be 95% without affirmative action.
Last I checked, nurses were 85% female.

Last edited:
Yet another affirmative action fail. These brainless bimbos couldn't design a hockey puck but they got a "minority" contract even though they're not even a minority!!

Diversity Fail? All-Women Engineering Team Blamed for Collapse of Miami Pedestrian Bridge

march 18 2018 The all-women engineering team that designed the ill-fated pedestrian foot bridge at Miami’s Florida International University were highly touted for their advances in a field that is typically dominated by men.

But critics are pointing the finger of blame at the female engineers for design flaws that may have brought the bridge down.

Munilla Construction Management (MCM), the South Miami-based firm that designed the FIU foot bridge, has been sued multiple times for unsafe practices in the past.

MCM was awarded the $14.2 million minority contract to design and build the cable-stayed bridge. The company is well-connected in Miami politics and it promotes inclusion and diversity in the workforce.

The lead engineer on the foot bridge project is a female, Leonor Flores, who is a graduate of FIU. Flores led a team of all-women engineers and designers who oversaw the crews that built the prefabricated “instant bridge” by the side of the road using FIU’s own accelerated construction techniques.

Studies all over the world have shown that boys and men are twice as good at math as girls and women. The gender disparity in mathematics scores explains why there are far fewer women engineers than men in the world.
Sweetheart, lets make this more clear.....all white engineering team.....I see one black chic and she was proboally the flag person....just another example of white people and privlege

Yet another affirmative action fail. These brainless bimbos couldn't design a hockey puck but they got a "minority" contract even though they're not even a minority!!

Diversity Fail? All-Women Engineering Team Blamed for Collapse of Miami Pedestrian Bridge

march 18 2018 The all-women engineering team that designed the ill-fated pedestrian foot bridge at Miami’s Florida International University were highly touted for their advances in a field that is typically dominated by men.

But critics are pointing the finger of blame at the female engineers for design flaws that may have brought the bridge down.

Munilla Construction Management (MCM), the South Miami-based firm that designed the FIU foot bridge, has been sued multiple times for unsafe practices in the past.

MCM was awarded the $14.2 million minority contract to design and build the cable-stayed bridge. The company is well-connected in Miami politics and it promotes inclusion and diversity in the workforce.

The lead engineer on the foot bridge project is a female, Leonor Flores, who is a graduate of FIU. Flores led a team of all-women engineers and designers who oversaw the crews that built the prefabricated “instant bridge” by the side of the road using FIU’s own accelerated construction techniques.

Studies all over the world have shown that boys and men are twice as good at math as girls and women. The gender disparity in mathematics scores explains why there are far fewer women engineers than men in the world.

I surmize that further investigation will reveal they were politically connected and poorly qualified

I surmize that further investigation will reveal they were politically connected and poorly qualified
Further investigation, including reading the thread, will show you that the outfit wasn't an "ALL-FEMALE engineer team". This is an old story already debunked. Please, try and keep up! :rolleyes:

Forum List

Back