All 41 GOP Senators Promise To Delay Financial Reform

Given that 40%+ of voters self-identify as Conservatives, with another 40% as moderate, the GOP opposition to the growth of Big Government is going to serve them much better than Obamanomics will the Dems.

i'd agree with you if the GOP's record wasn't in such stark opposition to its rhetoric.

It's a matter of scale and the time horizon. The GOP spending binge over the past few years is appalling - but it pales in comparison to the Dems' more recent conflagration.

The GOP taking a stand against ObamaCare, the Stimulus, Cap & Trade, etc. provides a better case for voters than to continue with the Obama Big Government programs.
Pffffft!

They'd be all for that crap if the goober writing and supporting the bills had an (R) by their name.

Forgotten NCLB, Medicare D and the amnesty bill so soon?

Given that 40%+ of voters self-identify as Conservatives, with another 40% as moderate, the GOP opposition to the growth of Big Government is going to serve them much better than Obamanomics will the Dems.

Yes, if the stop the Party of No chatter.

Yes, if they come up with a reputable leader.

Yes, if they come up with a solid economic plan that resonates with the voters.

Yes, if they can sell that plan in a calm, solid voice.

If they don't, no, they will get their butts kicked again.

i'd agree with you if the GOP's record wasn't in such stark opposition to its rhetoric.

It's a matter of scale and the time horizon. The GOP spending binge over the past few years is appalling - but it pales in comparison to the Dems' more recent conflagration.

The GOP taking a stand against ObamaCare, the Stimulus, Cap & Trade, etc. provides a better case for voters than to continue with the Obama Big Government programs.

And not all GOP candidates will be incumbents. Those running against sitting Dems will have a "fresh start" appeal as well.

I'm not saying this is going to be easy for the GOP, but they do have an opportunity to regain seats in both Houses do to the way the Dems have way overplayed their hand.

Not along their current path, they don't.

Pffffft!

They'd be all for that crap if the goober writing and supporting the bills had an (R) by their name.

Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out the relative aspect between the current GOP and Dems in Congress.

The big question is: Is the public more angry about what happened under Bush's watch or about what has happened since Obama took office?

It's not giving the Bush era a pass to point out that tripling the deficit is not an improvement. Nor is expanding government from 20% of GDP to 30%+ of GDP an improvement. Nor is defacto nationalizing 1/6 of the economy. Nor is 15M unemployed...

The latter metric is the most important influence upon 2010, imo.

And not all GOP candidates will be incumbents. Those running against sitting Dems will have a "fresh start" appeal as well.

I'm not saying this is going to be easy for the GOP, but they do have an opportunity to regain seats in both Houses do to the way the Dems have way overplayed their hand.

the GOP needs to do a much better job of publicizing what their solutions are for the problems we face. just saying no won't cut it, imo, although in some cases (e.g. cap & trade) the dems have provided a solution looking for a problem. i agree with the gist of your post, though. if scott brown can win here, the reps should be able to cut into the dem majority significantly if they act intelligently.

The Dems' desperate attacks on the Tea Part Movement indicate that they recognize their vulnerability. Agreed that the GOP need to act intelligently and articulate solutions. The do have some (i.e., the health care reforms the offered up during Obama's Kabuki Summit, which the One ignored).

Pffffft!

Absolutely not. I'm just pointing out the relative aspect between the current GOP and Dems in Congress.

The big question is: Is the public more angry about what happened under Bush's watch or about what has happened since Obama took office?

It's not giving the Bush era a pass to point out that tripling the deficit is not an improvement. Nor is expanding government from 20% of GDP to 30%+ of GDP an improvement. Nor is defacto nationalizing 1/6 of the economy. Nor is 15M unemployed...

I remember capitulation of 1995 all too well.

The GOP has to both shut up and put up before I'll ever vote for one of those sham artists again.

Pffffft!

The GOP has to both shut up and put up before I'll ever vote for one of those sham artists again.

what if it meant the Left had to live with Palin as President for four years?

Yeah the ex Bushies and their Tea Party "movement" are of great concern, almost as much concern as they are a source of ammusement.

Same crowd different name.

The Dems' attacks are not desperate, despite your hope; yes, the GOP needs to act intelligently; no, the GOP health care reforms were far too late and much too less to run on.

Nope...I want results, not amusement.

That would mean that the USA is doomed if we cannot come up with anyone better than Palin from either party.

Pffffft!

We can argue economics until the cows come home, but I agree that the GOP needs a reasonable, conservative program, then have the nerve to stick to it.

Sen. Richard Shelby, the top Republican on the Senate Banking, Housing and Urban Affairs Committee, predicted all 41 Republican senators would vote to delay...a deal.

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell said he didn't expect the bill...would go forward. "We want to make sure that they don't have...financial services... health care," McConnell said on " Fox News Sunday."
-latimes.com

Why did the GOP want Americans to go without Health Care Reform, and why do they now want America to go backwards without any financial reform for a better American economy?

They want power. Power over ideology and over duty, honor, and country. :evil:

If it doesn't address Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac it's a worthless peice of crap. They are the duds that started the recent meltdown with Barney Frank and Chris Dodd in charge of the over-seeing. It was the 1991 COMMUNITY REINVESTMENT ACT that started this whole snow ball a-rollin, forcing banks to MAKE HIGH RISK MORTGAGE LOANS or be red- lined for future growth and development.:cuckoo::cuckoo:

That's the horn of the dilemma, isn't it? To boycott the GOP and cede the country to the Obama led Dems - or to hold one's nose and try to find some members of the former for which one can vote in good conscience. I'm not convinced they have learned their lesson. If anything, they are a good object lesson that Power Corrupts. But I'd rather maintain some hope - the alternative is too depressing.

That's the horn of the dilemma, isn't it? To boycott the GOP and cede the country to the Obama led Dems - or to hold one's nose and try to find some members of the former for which one can vote in good conscience. I'm not convinced they have learned their lesson. If anything, they are a good object lesson that Power Corrupts. But I'd rather maintain some hope - the alternative is too depressing.
Don't care...We'll end up in the same place either way.

I'd just as soon cut to the chase and be done with it.

Don't care...We'll end up in the same place either way.

I'd just as soon cut to the chase and be done with it.

I don't want to live as a statist slave. :(

Forum List

Back