Alimony is sexist

Alimony is rarely awarded these days except in extreme cases.
Not true. Alimony is not handed out as much since there are more 2 working households than before, but if there are certain thresholds met alimony will be awarded.

Note:'alimony is spousal support. It is addition to child support (which is in theory for the children).

Threshold:
(1) Longevity of the marriage - typically the mark is 10'yrs.
(2) Children born to the marriage - typically this is a necessary to show one spouse didn't work in order to take care of the children.
(3) Financial Dependency: One spouse, typically the caregiver, is financially dependent on the spouse.
(4) Ability to earn and income: if a spouse worked for years and could theoretically enter the workforce and continue her life style then no alimony.
(5) Education: Sometimes temp alimony is provided to so one spouse can go back to school and get the skills needed to find a job.

If a spouse meets these thresholds, then they are good.

If there is a flat split with the properties one just not have to get extra unless of coarse there is a child, illness or profit is still being made.

right----generally speaking "alimony" is really 'child support' ----now

• Banned
Men can be awarded alimony so I'm not seeing how it is sexist.

Can. Rarely are. In practice, women are overwhelmingly given preference in the matter.

What you're saying is really no different then the fact that women can get paid just as much as men. If the pay gap is sexism, then alimony is sexism too.

Can. Rarely are. In practice, women are overwhelmingly given preference in the matter.

What you're saying is really no different then the fact that women can get paid just as much as men. If the pay gap is sexism, then alimony is sexism too.

women are not given PREFERENCE-------the math works out that way ----now-----
men earn more and men do not interrupt their careers for children

You're using sexist gender role prejudices to claim that alimony isn't sexist.

It has more to do with the wage gap between men and women and the fact that many women still interrupt their careers to care for children. When that equals out, so will alimony awards.

That wasn't prejudice, it was reality.

Lots of guys create their own monsters . "My wife will stay home and raise the kids!"

15 years later he wants to dump the fat wife for some hot chick . How is wife gonna earn a living ? She hasn't worked in 15 years !

You made her you own her .

Been decades since I worked in domestic relations matters, but it used to be that women had a lot of protections in the Courts ... stayed home, raised the kids, etc. and 25 years down the pike hubby wants to trade her for two 20-somethings. Yeah - she got alimony - good until such time as she remarried. NOW feminist movement did a lot to change that. Women are seldom awarded alimony longer than a couple years so they can get some job training skills or college ... AND women do now have to pay alimony to their ex if all the evidence proves he deserves it. Used to be unheard of for a man to collect alimony.

It has more to do with the wage gap between men and women and the fact that many women still interrupt their careers to care for children. When that equals out, so will alimony awards.

Sorry, but that's horseshit. Women don't interrupt their careers to care for children. They go on maternity leave. If they stop working, it's because they don't want to work. The whole idea that women can raise children on their own is all part of women's equality. If working women can raise children on their own, then there is no reason to pay a woman alimony because she decided spend her marriage by keeping her lazy ass at home and leeching off her husband.

That wasn't prejudice, it was reality.

Fine. Get your bitch ass back in the kitchen and make me some pie.

Lots of guys create their own monsters . "My wife will stay home and raise the kids!"

15 years later he wants to dump the fat wife for some hot chick . How is wife gonna earn a living ? She hasn't worked in 15 years !

You made her you own her .

Ah, yet. Women are victims. They're helpless and pathetic, and can't survive without someone paying their way. Thanks for confirming how sexist it is.

Been decades since I worked in domestic relations matters, but it used to be that women had a lot of protections in the Courts ... stayed home, raised the kids, etc. and 25 years down the pike hubby wants to trade her for two 20-somethings. Yeah - she got alimony - good until such time as she remarried. NOW feminist movement did a lot to change that. Women are seldom awarded alimony longer than a couple years so they can get some job training skills or college ... AND women do now have to pay alimony to their ex if all the evidence proves he deserves it. Used to be unheard of for a man to collect alimony.

It's still uncommon, and the deck is still stacked. And the double whammy is the continued preference toward women when it comes to custody. Women get awarded custody, then oh yeah! Now they have to "stay home" to take care of the kids, so on top of child support they need alimony too! If I were ever in a situation where I was facing a divorce, I would quit my job and take a sabbatical. What's 50% of kiss my ass?

Forum List

Back