Alien Life? You better hope God exists!

I believe it will be about applying Google AI to finding planets. We will likely find that EVERY sun has multiple planets.

There is a fundamental problem when it comes to the possible existence of "Goldilocks" planets. Physicists say there is a small likelihood of any star having more than one habitable planet. To have two, they would have to be on identical orbital paths in transverse orbits around their sun at identical speeds, a very unlikely scenario. Otherwise, two such planets in the same general vicinity would eventually collide due to gravitational attraction or they would become binary planets, causing neither to be life-sustainable due to the wild swings in distance from their sun and volatility from the constant gravitational pull on each other.
The "Goldilocks" idea may need to be modified. It appears there is a real possibility of life arising on a moon of Jupiter or Saturn and both are outside of our "Goldilocks" zone. We may find that life is not only common but ubiquitous in the universe.

As to binary planets, their volatility may prove to be a boon to life not unlike our seasons, ice ages, storms, and periodic asteroid impacts.

People used to think some of those previously unproven things were the work of god, too, until proven otherwise.

Nothing has been proved otherwise. You mean, since we discovered how God did something? That doesn't disprove God did it.

The definition of science isn't "god did it unless we prove otherwise," which seems to be your position.

Nope, not my position and I never said anything remotely close. You seem to suffer from a comprehension problem. God did everything unless you can prove otherwise, that's a given. That's why I never understood why you think anyone is claiming that is science... It's an altruism, not science. It has no scientific explanatory value.

So who created the creator? Surely if a creator is needed for intelligent life to exist, then a creator is even more needed to create something as powerful and intelligent as "the creator."

"Created" is a word we apply to physical things in a physical universe. A Spiritual Creator doesn't require physical creation. Can you use this same reasoning and explain to me what created physical nature?
Why do you think physical nature was "created?" It may have always existed (and existed in such a way as to eventually bring about the existence of intelligent life). After all, you have no trouble believing in a "creator," saying it doesn't need to have been created (implying it has always existed), despite never having any evidence of it (visible with the naked eye or otherwise). Maybe nature always existed. That's far easier to believe since nature is proven to exist.

Well, I think physical nature was created because the universe is in motion and I believe in Newtonian physics. The universe had a beginning about 14.5 billion years ago, at best guess. BUT... For the sake of philosophy, if you want to believe the universe is eternal and has always existed, that's fine too... You've just defined Divinity.

And again, I'm not trying to claim some double standard with spiritual nature not having to be created. I explained that "create" is a word we use to define bringing into physical existence. Spiritual things do not require being brought into physical existence or they would be physical in nature and not spiritual.

As for evidence, I have plenty of evidence for spiritual nature but it's spiritual evidence and you don't accept it. This doesn't mean it doesn't exist or I don't have it. And things do not have to be "visible to the naked eye or otherwise" in order to exist. Go look into the sky on this bright clear day.... do you see the stars? They are there, you just can't see them. At the subatomic level, electrons appear and disappear or have presence in two places at the same time. There are many things in our physical universe that can't be seen but are still there.

I believe it will be about applying Google AI to finding planets. We will likely find that EVERY sun has multiple planets.

There is a fundamental problem when it comes to the possible existence of "Goldilocks" planets. Physicists say there is a small likelihood of any star having more than one habitable planet. To have two, they would have to be on identical orbital paths in transverse orbits around their sun at identical speeds, a very unlikely scenario. Otherwise, two such planets in the same general vicinity would eventually collide due to gravitational attraction or they would become binary planets, causing neither to be life-sustainable due to the wild swings in distance from their sun and volatility from the constant gravitational pull on each other.
The "Goldilocks" idea may need to be modified. It appears there is a real possibility of life arising on a moon of Jupiter or Saturn and both are outside of our "Goldilocks" zone. We may find that life is not only common but ubiquitous in the universe.

As to binary planets, their volatility may prove to be a boon to life not unlike our seasons, ice ages, storms, and periodic asteroid impacts.

Again, the distinction needs to be made between microbial or bacterial life and intelligent life. Sure, there is a possibility some form of microbial life could exist in the extremes of space, on a Jupiter moon, etc. However, you couldn't exist there and you'd never survive. The reason liquid water may exist on one of Jupiter's moons is because of the tremendous gravity of Jupiter working on the surface of the moon, creating enormous friction. Intelligent life forms could never survive those conditions. The same would apply to binary planets. The volatile conditions would be uninhabitable for anything resembling our species.

Again, the distinction needs to be made between microbial or bacterial life and intelligent life. Sure, there is a possibility some form of microbial life could exist in the extremes of space, on a Jupiter moon, etc. However, you couldn't exist there and you'd never survive. The reason liquid water may exist on one of Jupiter's moons is because of the tremendous gravity of Jupiter working on the surface of the moon, creating enormous friction. Intelligent life forms could never survive those conditions. The same would apply to binary planets. The volatile conditions would be uninhabitable for anything resembling our species.
Would an intelligent alien form of life have to resemble our species or evolve in conditions that would be favorable to human beings?

Hasn't exposure to extreme conditions on earth contributed to the development of our own intelligences?

Wouldn't life evolving in more volatile conditions than on our own planet tend to produce more advanced life forms with superior intelligences?

Last edited:
Would an intelligent alien form of life have to resemble our species or evolve in conditions that would be favorable to human beings?

Wouldn't life evolving in more volatile conditions than on our own planet tend to produce superior intelligences?

Well, now we're getting into the realm of science fiction. Anything is possible. So, no... an intelligent life form would not necessarily have to resemble our own but I would think the laws of physics would still need to apply. Complex and carbon-based cellular life as we know and understand it, could not endure temperature extremes fluctuating wildly between 600 degrees and -200 degrees. Perhaps a microbe or bacteria could endure but more complex life would never evolve... at least, that's my opinion.

Wouldn't life evolving in more volatile conditions than on our own planet tend to produce superior intelligences?

Well, now we're getting into the realm of science fiction. Anything is possible. So, no... an intelligent life form would not necessarily have to resemble our own but I would think the laws of physics would still need to apply. Complex and carbon-based cellular life as we know and understand it, could not endure temperature extremes fluctuating wildly between 600 degrees and -200 degrees. Perhaps a microbe or bacteria could endure but more complex life would never evolve... at least, that's my opinion.

complex carbon based cellular life forms evolved in the same oceans that would kill them if now submerged. Just because we can't survive in the ocean does that mean there is no intelligent life beneath the waves?

Extreme conditions of any planet with microbial life could as easily evolve complex life forms with physical bodies capable of surviving those conditions just like life that began in the oceans developed physical bodies adapted to the hostile conditions on dry land, intelligence the inevitable outcome.

Last edited:
complex carbon based cellular life forms evolved in the same oceans that would kill them if now submerged. Just because we can't survive in the ocean does that mean there is no intelligent life beneath the waves?

Extreme conditions of any planet with microbial life could as easily evolve complex life forms with physical bodies capable of surviving those conditions just like life that began in the oceans developed physical bodies adapted to the hostile conditions on dry land, intelligence the inevitable outcome.

Except, even with all the circumstances falling into place at just the right time and to the right degree, the evolution process produced a planet full of dinosaurs. If not for a fluke random asteroid impact that wiped out dinosaurs, humans wouldn't exist. Mammals would have never evolved if they survived extinction at all. A whole lot of circumstances had to happen in order for intelligent life as we know it to exist. Now that's not to say that some form of life could exist, I've admitted that in the OP. I am specifically talking about advanced intelligent civilizations, like humans. I don't believe the dinosaurs would have ever evolved into cognitive rationalizing entities capable of inventing science and technology.

This is much more complicated than assuming if microbial life could exist, then evolution happens and voila; intelligent life!

Except, even with all the circumstances falling into place at just the right time and to the right degree, the evolution process produced a planet full of dinosaurs. If not for a fluke random asteroid impact that wiped out dinosaurs, humans wouldn't exist. Mammals would have never evolved if they survived extinction at all. A whole lot of circumstances had to happen in order for intelligent life as we know it to exist. Now that's not to say that some form of life could exist, I've admitted that in the OP. I am specifically talking about advanced intelligent civilizations, like humans. I don't believe the dinosaurs would have ever evolved into cognitive rationalizing entities capable of inventing science and technology.

This is much more complicated than assuming if microbial life could exist, then evolution happens and voila; intelligent life!
If mammals never evolved beyond the level of a snack food for larger creatures and the extinction event never happened who are you to say that a predatory species of dinosaur with binocular vision and the semblance of a hand couldn't have evolved enough since then to surpass even our own level of intelligence?

Last edited:
If mammals never evolved beyond the level of a snack food for larger creatures and the extinction event never happened who are you to say that a predatory species of dinosaur with binocular vision and the semblance of a hand couldn't have evolved enough since then to surpass even our own level of intelligence?

Well.... Humans have existed around 150~200k years or so. Dinosaurs existed for over 40~50 million years. While I cannot say for certain they would have never developed or evolved (prove a negative) into advanced state of intelligence, the fact is, they didn't in 40~50 million years.

I constantly hear the speculations over the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe from people who completely dismiss any possibility of a Creator God. I find this extraordinary to say the least. I know this thread will spark a contentious debate but I believe it's one well worth exploring. This, of course, is simply a matter of philosophy, which is why I chose the Religion and Ethics forum instead of Science and Technology. We have no evidence life exists anywhere but planet Earth.

I would like to set aside the various arguments for religious philosophies and focus on the aspects of logic and reason in examining the question at hand. Does intelligent life exist elsewhere? The primary argument to conclude that it likely does, relies on the sheer number of stars and planets. Because there are trillions of stars and each one is likely to have a rocky planet in a zone compatible for conditions of life, some will assume the possibility is very likely. I would like to disabuse you of this notion.

First of all, we have to consider that intelligent life on this planet is the result of many circumstances over the course of 4.5 billion years, if we are to believe the modern scientific theories regarding evolution, etc. We'll stick with the current scientific parameters as opposed to quirky young earth creationist dogma, and let's see how this works out.

We don't know how life originated. Whatever happened was extremely unusual and rare because it doesn't seem to be happening anymore and there is no evidence of it happening anywhere else. But let's take for granted that some mysterious combinations in the forces of physics and nature combined at the perfect place and time to originate life on Earth. It seems reasonable to conclude the unique conditions of our planet may have contributed in some way, but they certainly contributed to the "evolution" of life once it had originated. Our wobbly orbit, caused by a careening body which formed our Moon, which fell into perfect geosynchronous orbit and caused tides and seasons to happen... all of which tremendously contribute to the sustainability of life and life cycles. The presence of abundant water in liquid form. A molten iron-nickel core which gives us a protective magnetic field. Atmospheric pressure which prevents our liquid source of water from evaporating into space. And dozens of other things which contribute to an environment conducive to life in general.

Logically, when we begin to narrow down the billions of possible planetary candidates which could even support life, the odds become exponentially less and less with each of these criteria applied. Okay, so maybe one in a billion planets could support life? That still means there is a good possibility it might exist elsewhere. But what form does it take? All we have to go by is what data we have here on Earth.

Nature, left to it's own evolution, produced a planet teaming with dinosaurs. Big giant lizards and flying reptiles... nothing approaching intelligent life. It took a rare cosmic event, supposedly an asteroid striking the planet and wiping out the dinosaurs but not wiping out all life forms. From there, the reemerging life spawned mammals which gave rise to primates and then humans. So now we have at least two distinct cosmic events of interaction, the moon collision and the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, which had to happen at a precise point in time for there to be any form of intelligent life on Earth. And that is if you don't count whatever cosmic phenomenon gave us all the water while no other planets around us seemed to get any.

Setting aside religion, at some point, don't you have to consider the number of miraculous events which had to happen as they did, for intelligent life to exist here? What would be the odds of those same events happening elsewhere? I believe it is all but impossible that another intelligent life form exists elsewhere unless there is a Creator. A force beyond the physical which intelligently set into motion the precise events and phenomenon which had to occur for intelligent life to emerge.

Do you realize that we barely have any idea of what exists in this galaxy never mind the remaining 99,999,999,999 of the estimated 100 billion galaxies?

To say we know for certain that there is no other life in the universe is beyond arrogance.

Well.... Humans have existed around 150~200k years or so. Dinosaurs existed for over 40~50 million years. While I cannot say for certain they would have never developed or evolved (prove a negative) into advanced state of intelligence, the fact is, they didn't in 40~50 million years.

If a species of dinosaur did evolve to the level of your idea of what constitutes intelligent life the evidence of it would have been wiped out.

Even so, mammals from which we evolved existed at the time of the dinosaurs so you need to adjust your speculations as to how long it took one species of mammal to develop our level of intelligence and mode of communication that might seem under evolved to higher intelligences with more sophisticated means of communication.

The conditions on earth that seem so warm and friendly to us who evolved here might be a noxious and hostile environment to an alien species that evolved in different conditions that might seem uninhabitable and hostile to us.

I constantly hear the speculations over the possibility of intelligent life elsewhere in our universe from people who completely dismiss any possibility of a Creator God. I find this extraordinary to say the least. I know this thread will spark a contentious debate but I believe it's one well worth exploring. This, of course, is simply a matter of philosophy, which is why I chose the Religion and Ethics forum instead of Science and Technology. We have no evidence life exists anywhere but planet Earth.

I would like to set aside the various arguments for religious philosophies and focus on the aspects of logic and reason in examining the question at hand. Does intelligent life exist elsewhere? The primary argument to conclude that it likely does, relies on the sheer number of stars and planets. Because there are trillions of stars and each one is likely to have a rocky planet in a zone compatible for conditions of life, some will assume the possibility is very likely. I would like to disabuse you of this notion.

First of all, we have to consider that intelligent life on this planet is the result of many circumstances over the course of 4.5 billion years, if we are to believe the modern scientific theories regarding evolution, etc. We'll stick with the current scientific parameters as opposed to quirky young earth creationist dogma, and let's see how this works out.

We don't know how life originated. Whatever happened was extremely unusual and rare because it doesn't seem to be happening anymore and there is no evidence of it happening anywhere else. But let's take for granted that some mysterious combinations in the forces of physics and nature combined at the perfect place and time to originate life on Earth. It seems reasonable to conclude the unique conditions of our planet may have contributed in some way, but they certainly contributed to the "evolution" of life once it had originated. Our wobbly orbit, caused by a careening body which formed our Moon, which fell into perfect geosynchronous orbit and caused tides and seasons to happen... all of which tremendously contribute to the sustainability of life and life cycles. The presence of abundant water in liquid form. A molten iron-nickel core which gives us a protective magnetic field. Atmospheric pressure which prevents our liquid source of water from evaporating into space. And dozens of other things which contribute to an environment conducive to life in general.

Logically, when we begin to narrow down the billions of possible planetary candidates which could even support life, the odds become exponentially less and less with each of these criteria applied. Okay, so maybe one in a billion planets could support life? That still means there is a good possibility it might exist elsewhere. But what form does it take? All we have to go by is what data we have here on Earth.

Nature, left to it's own evolution, produced a planet teaming with dinosaurs. Big giant lizards and flying reptiles... nothing approaching intelligent life. It took a rare cosmic event, supposedly an asteroid striking the planet and wiping out the dinosaurs but not wiping out all life forms. From there, the reemerging life spawned mammals which gave rise to primates and then humans. So now we have at least two distinct cosmic events of interaction, the moon collision and the asteroid that killed the dinosaurs, which had to happen at a precise point in time for there to be any form of intelligent life on Earth. And that is if you don't count whatever cosmic phenomenon gave us all the water while no other planets around us seemed to get any.

Setting aside religion, at some point, don't you have to consider the number of miraculous events which had to happen as they did, for intelligent life to exist here? What would be the odds of those same events happening elsewhere? I believe it is all but impossible that another intelligent life form exists elsewhere unless there is a Creator. A force beyond the physical which intelligently set into motion the precise events and phenomenon which had to occur for intelligent life to emerge.

Do you realize that we barely have any idea of what exists in this galaxy never mind the remaining 99,999,999,999 of the estimated 100 billion galaxies?

To say we know for certain that there is no other life in the universe is beyond arrogance.

Exactly. Not to mention that we don't even know what 96% of the matter in the universe even is.

There could easily be forms of intelligent life and realms of existence just as undetectable to our senses.

I'm sorry... I'm not seeing the post where I said we know for certain that there is no other life in the universe... care to point that post out to me, please? :dunno:

I'm sorry... I'm not seeing the post where I said we know for certain that there is no other life in the universe... care to point that post out to me, please? :dunno:

so saying,

Whatever happened was extremely unusual and rare because it doesn't seem to be happening anymore and there is no evidence of it happening anywhere else.

doesn't imply that you think we know life isn't evolving anywhere else?

If it doesn't then you might want to reword your argument.

We have no idea if it is extremely unusual or rare since we know next to nothing about 99.99999% of the universe.

even if life evolved in only one instance in every galaxy then that is about 100 billion times.

If a species of dinosaur did evolve to the level of your idea of what constitutes intelligent life the evidence of it would have been wiped out.

Even so, mammals from which we evolved existed at the time of the dinosaurs so you need to adjust your speculations as to how long it took one species of mammal to develop our level of intelligence and mode of communication that might seem under evolved to higher intelligences with more sophisticated means of communication.

The conditions on earth that seem so warm and friendly to us who evolved here might be a noxious and hostile environment to an alien species that evolved in different conditions that might seem uninhabitable and hostile to us.

Well... again, this is a philosophy thread. You are free to think whatever you please. I'm not here to argue that you are wrong or that I am absolutely right, just to lay out my point of view for consideration.

I don't think I need to adjust my "speculations" on how long it took humans to develop cognitive reasoning and advanced intelligence, the record speaks for itself. I mean, we're only a little over 100 years from harnessing electricity. Basically, everything we've done in the realm of advanced intelligence and technology has happened over the past few thousand years.

Look, all I am saying is based on what we know... what information we have available from the only place we know life exists. Just to assume that life is flourishing all over the universe when we haven't even answered the basic question of how life originated, is a bit of hubris, in my opinion. Yes, anything is possible. I just think that IF there is another human-like alien civilization out there, it's only there as a result of an incredible number of circumstances that defy the odds in a miraculous way. One that would almost certainly have to involve an intelligent Creator force to guide the events.

Well... again, this is a philosophy thread. You are free to think whatever you please. I'm not here to argue that you are wrong or that I am absolutely right, just to lay out my point of view for consideration.

I don't think I need to adjust my "speculations" on how long it took humans to develop cognitive reasoning and advanced intelligence, the record speaks for itself. I mean, we're only a little over 100 years from harnessing electricity. Basically, everything we've done in the realm of advanced intelligence and technology has happened over the past few thousand years.

Look, all I am saying is based on what we know... what information we have available from the only place we know life exists. Just to assume that life is flourishing all over the universe when we haven't even answered the basic question of how life originated, is a bit of hubris, in my opinion. Yes, anything is possible. I just think that IF there is another human-like alien civilization out there, it's only there as a result of an incredible number of circumstances that defy the odds in a miraculous way. One that would almost certainly have to involve an intelligent Creator force to guide the events.

What you see as hubris I see as a logical extrapolation from those same facts about this planet that is teeming with life forms that exist in the most unlikely of places. if you pick up a rock it is there, in the deepest caves it is there, over the water and under the water there is life, even at the bottom of the ocean and trapped in tiny bubbles in salt crystals in the middle of the desert.

Hubris to me is to expect intelligent life to only exist in some familiar human like form that we could communicate with given our limited perceptions and primitive senses. As it is we can't see what other species can see or hear what other species can hear or smell what other species can smell much less process all of that additional information.

To many species of creatures living under our noses their world, this same planet, to us is an alien world of which we know nothing..

Last edited:
Well, I think physical nature was created because the universe is in motion and I believe in Newtonian physics. The universe had a beginning about 14.5 billion years ago, at best guess. BUT... For the sake of philosophy, if you want to believe the universe is eternal and has always existed, that's fine too... You've just defined Divinity.

The universe had a beginning about 14.5 billion years ago ...

BB is cyclical, what you have described is when energy was converted to matter 14.5 billion years ago, the moment after singularity was accomplished and will cyclically convert back into energy when the matter is recompacted.

What you see as hubris I see as a logical extrapolation from those same facts about life on this planet that is teeming with life forms that exist in the most unlikely of places. if you pick up a rock it is there, in the deepest caves it is there, over the water and under the water there is life, even at the bottom of the ocean and trapped in tiny bubbles in salt crystals in the middle of the desert.

Hubris to me is to expect intelligent life to only exist in some familiar human like form.

Yes, our planet is teaming with life and it's flourishing in some very extreme environments. However.... Our planet also has a very unique collection of variables, many of which are the result of random cosmic events and circumstances. It's almost as if something intentionally set up an environment perfectly suited for life.

From the distinct wobbly rotation which gives us seasons to a perfectly-sized moon giving us tides that aren't too big or small to an atmosphere protected from cosmic rays and radiation because of a molten iron-nickel core to atmospheric pressure making it possible for water to remain stable within our ecosystem to a system of weather patterns with a process of evaporation and rainfall... on and on and on. There are literally hundreds of things which are in play on our planet to encourage, enable, assist and promote the propagation of living things. It is FAR more than simply having the ingredients... it's the whole entire system.

Is it possible intelligent civilizations exist elsewhere? Sure! But even on Earth, with all the assorted elements falling into perfect place for life to thrive, it still took a degree of simple luck... an asteroid wiping out dinosaurs and allowing mammals to evolve into humans. I look at all of this and find it so incredible and amazingly extraordinary to the point that I can't believe it's something common all over the universe. Not unless there is some power or force beyond our ability to comprehend, orchestrating the various events and establishing the needed variables.

Again, it's just my personal opinion but I believe it's well founded.

BB is cyclical, what you have described is when energy was converted to matter 14.5 billion years ago, the moment after singularity was accomplished and will cyclically convert back into energy when the matter is recompacted.

That is a theory from the 1800s which has pretty much been discarded since we discovered the universe is accelerating in expansion and not slowing down.

Matter cannot become recompacted unless physics is wrong. Heisenberg showed that fundamental physical elements refuse to be measured because nature itself doesn't know their location. It's called the Uncertainty Principle. IF nature doesn't know where all of her atoms are at any given time, how can they possibly recompact?

Now Breeze.... IF this were 1895, you would be considered a genius on the cutting edge of science with this theory. But science has advanced since then. Try reading a book!

That is a theory from the 1800s which has pretty much been discarded since we discovered the universe is accelerating in expansion and not slowing down.

Matter cannot become recompacted unless physics is wrong. Heisenberg showed that fundamental physical elements refuse to be measured because nature itself doesn't know their location. It's called the Uncertainty Principle. IF nature doesn't know where all of her atoms are at any given time, how can they possibly recompact?

Now Breeze.... IF this were 1895, you would be considered a genius on the cutting edge of science with this theory. But science has advanced since then. Try reading a book!

all matter from the point of singularity is propelled at a finite angle where the trajectory will return the matter without a change in direction to its origin at the same time to recompact covering back to energy till completion and the next moment of cyclical singularity. 1895 was only half the equation.

Forum List

Back