Alice Walker: Obama Like MLK

Very simple, move to step two which is any reasonable person's next step in considering who to vote for: review their policies.

Supporting Hillary is the white feminist thing to do.

Supporting Barack is the people of color thing to do.

I will continue to try and believe that you are just sarcastic.

Supporting McCain is the White Male Club thing to do?

From a realistic pov, does McCain, or any other republican, represent their interests? Or those of women, for that matter?

So why would you expect blacks to vote for a repub?

My next door neighbor is black and votes repub, mainly because she is disgusted with how the dem party speaks down to them.

And I know Jews who vote against their self-interest, too. But not real common given the numbers of republican blacks, is it?

You're definitely right that it's not real common among blacks to vote repub. I'm not so sure about self interests though since dems count on black votes. The lady that I mentioned came up from a very poor family, paid her way through school, became very successful, donates to several charities. Her main concern with the dems is that of when the black becomes successful he/she is somewhat ostracized for speaking out against social programs and how they can have adverse affects.

And I know Jews who vote against their self-interest, too. But not real common given the numbers of republican blacks, is it?

Right, look in the mirror. Isn't voting for a liberal candidate who is not interested in the support and protection of Israel a vote against their self-interest?

Exactly what is the Jewish "self-interest" in today's world?

Racism? I guess race (at least among Dimwits) trumps gender (as with Hillary) and everything else of importance...

From a realistic pov, does McCain, or any other republican, represent their interests? Or those of women, for that matter?

So why would you expect blacks to vote for a repub?

I would not.

But I would also ask why it's legitimate for blacks to have black-specific interests that justify their voting in one direction, but not whites.

"Very simple, move to step two which is any reasonable person's next step in considering who to vote for: review their policies."

i have, and the biggest difference between them is STILL one of race, age and gender ::eusa_think:

I would not.

But I would also ask why it's legitimate for blacks to have black-specific interests that justify their voting in one direction, but not whites.

Because republicans have a history of keeping blacks from voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_caging#Examples_of_proven_or_alleged_political_caging

From the Washington Post: "In 1981, the Republican National Committee sent letters to predominantly black neighborhoods in New Jersey, and when 45,000 letters were returned as undeliverable, the committee compiled a challenge list to remove those voters from the rolls. The RNC sent off-duty law enforcement officials to the polls and hung posters in heavily black neighborhoods warning that violating election laws is a crime." Republicans however, denied that black voters were the target. An attorney for the RNC, Bobby Burchfield, stated that "troubling reports" of fictitious names such as Mary Poppins were appearing on Ohio's rolls and that is what prompted the challenges.

The Washington Post[11]: "In 1986, the RNC tried to have 31,000 voters, most of them black, removed from the rolls in Louisiana when a party mailer was returned. The consent decrees that resulted prohibited the party from engaging in anti-fraud initiatives that target minorities or conduct mail campaigns to 'compile voter challenge lists.'" The Republican National Committee reportedly stopped the practice following the consent decree in the 1986 case, but allegations of RNC-conducted voter caging arose once again in the 2004 elections.

Because republicans have a history of keeping blacks from voting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vote_caging#Examples_of_proven_or_alleged_political_caging

From the Washington Post: "In 1981, the Republican National Committee sent letters to predominantly black neighborhoods in New Jersey, and when 45,000 letters were returned as undeliverable, the committee compiled a challenge list to remove those voters from the rolls. The RNC sent off-duty law enforcement officials to the polls and hung posters in heavily black neighborhoods warning that violating election laws is a crime." Republicans however, denied that black voters were the target. An attorney for the RNC, Bobby Burchfield, stated that "troubling reports" of fictitious names such as Mary Poppins were appearing on Ohio's rolls and that is what prompted the challenges.

The Washington Post[11]: "In 1986, the RNC tried to have 31,000 voters, most of them black, removed from the rolls in Louisiana when a party mailer was returned. The consent decrees that resulted prohibited the party from engaging in anti-fraud initiatives that target minorities or conduct mail campaigns to 'compile voter challenge lists.'" The Republican National Committee reportedly stopped the practice following the consent decree in the 1986 case, but allegations of RNC-conducted voter caging arose once again in the 2004 elections.

I'm not racists, but I wonder if most blacks know that the Democrats were the dominant party in the South...the part of the country that enslaved them. I've always been curious about that....

Forum List

Back