algore harmed the nation by contesting 2000 election

This thread would have made sense - 12 years ago.

Gore was a poor candidate, no two ways about it. But then so were a bunch of others during the past 50 years - Dukakis, Dewey, Dole....

Gore was a good candidate, and I believe Gore would have been a fine president - maybe even great. He was stiff and woody during the campaign, which didn't help him. The biggest problem was the Monica tension between him and Clinton. I'm a big Clinton fan, but the Monica mess cost Gore the presidency - even more so than Jeb Bush, Katherine Harris, and the SCOTUS. Anyway, some dumbass was "awarded" the presidency.

I also believe that Dole would have been a fine president - but he also campaigned poorly. Came across as angry and mean.

If Al Gore had won his home state of Tennessee, he would have been President. Contesting the election focused on alleged corruption in 4 of the most Democrat Counties in Florida was a waste of taxpayers' money. Also, making sure that the Military vote among troops out if SENTCOM in Tampa did not do him any favors from a karma perspective

Lakhota -

I repsect Gore as an intelligent man and no doubt very principled, but he had this air of being landed gentry that I think most of us found off-putting.

He always looked like someone who would be more at home lecturing at MIT or hosting gala events in the Hamptons than doing the things normal American people do everyday.

He lacked that common touch of talking to people across class divides that I think all good politicians need these days.

I don't think Monicagate cost Gore - I think Gore's inability to talk to ordinary people cost Gore.

I don't want a folksy beer-drinking buddy in the White House - I want a smart president who can govern. Gore was that kind of guy. Gore had the brains and loads of experience - having served in the House, Senate, and 8 years as VP.

But you see, that's the thing. Most people want a president they can relate to. After all, the guy is going to be in our living rooms every night for the next 4-8 years.

The one thing that impressed me when I saw "A Inconveinent Truth" was that we never saw THAT Al Gore during the 2000 campaign, and if we had, he'd have won. That Al Gore was more like a human being.

The one that ran in 2000 was more like a programmed robot. He even let consultants pick out his clothes for him.

The good news for Democrats is that this year, the Republicans have nominated a Robot.

Gore saved the country by graciously conceding

If he had acted like a Republican he would have stretched it out for nine months like Republicans did with Al Franken

If he had acted like a Republican he would have stretched it out for nine months like Republicans did with Al Franken

For some strange reason the 'nuts go on and on about 2000, as if bitching for the sake of bitching is an addiction with them.

As I used to tell them years ago on this Bush/Gore thing...

...You won. Get over it.

For some strange reason the 'nuts go on and on about 2000, as if bitching for the sake of bitching is an addiction with them.

...You won. Get over it.

I think to be fair, if Democrats were really offended by the 2000 result, their best remedy was to suggest amending the constitution to eliminate the electoral college so something like that never happens again.

But they really weren't up for that fight.

Uncertanty of 2000 election tanked thestocke markets big- time

AL GORES FAULT

"Always be a good loser - be a good loser always".

Bob Robertson - sportscaster

That is absolutely true. But I always say that Republicans are bad sports. They cheated Al Gore, everybody knows he won Florida, and were furious about the wins of President Clinton and President Obama. Look how they have been treated by the GOP. They are the worst losers I have ever seen. All of the voter fraud they claim in this election is just a tactic to prevent democrats from voting. You really make a fool of yourself for trying to blame Al Gore for the 2000 disaster.

...You won. Get over it.

I think to be fair, if Democrats were really offended by the 2000 result, their best remedy was to suggest amending the constitution to eliminate the electoral college so something like that never happens again.

That effort would be a waste of time. 3/4's of the states needed to pass it? No chance.

...You won. Get over it.

That effort would be a waste of time. 3/4's of the states needed to pass it? No chance.

It is impossible to amend the Constitution with today's political climate

...You won. Get over it.

I think that when you have 40 states that are going to be meaningless because the candidates don't spend any time there after the primaries, yes, you are going to see a lot of states that are willing to ratify such an amendment.

When you get right down to it, the electoral college is an indefensible system. It's just that neither party wants to upset the apple cart or deal with the long term changes that getting rid of it would entail.

Uncertanty of 2000 election tanked thestocke markets big- time

AL GORES FAULT

You're lying.

1. The Florida recount was mandatory. Nothing to do with Gore. That lasted a week or so.

2. The Gore legal contesting lasted 1 month, the SP500 fell 10 points. In effect, nothing.

3. Bush was declared the winner on Dec. 12th. THEN the SP500 fell 110 points in the next 6 days. AFTER the uncertainty was gone.

Go look it up.

I think that when you have 40 states that are going to be meaningless because the candidates don't spend any time there after the primaries, yes, you are going to see a lot of states that are willing to ratify such an amendment.

When you get right down to it, the electoral college is an indefensible system. It's just that neither party wants to upset the apple cart or deal with the long term changes that getting rid of it would entail.

The small states get 'bonus' electoral votes relative to their size. They'd have to vote them away to go to the popular vote.

The close election was set up by the who gives a shit disclouse about Bushs ancient Dui in the 70s.

Forum List

Back