Algebra Needed

OldLady

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2015
Simple Interest formula:
A = P x (1+rt) Total amount = principal x (1 + percent of interest x length of time of loan)
Okay, I get that.

George is going to borrow $500 at 10% APR simple interest. He wants his total interest payment to be at most $100. What length of time can he take out the loan if that is the most he wants to pay on interest?

I couldn't do this 'cause me and algebra do not get along. Can anyone show me how to do it?

Simple Interest formula:
A = P x (1+rt) Total amount = principal x (1 + percent of interest x length of time of loan)
Okay, I get that.

George is going to borrow $500 at 10% APR simple interest. He wants his total interest payment to be at most $100. What length of time can he take out the loan if that is the most he wants to pay on interest?

I couldn't do this 'cause me and algebra do not get along. Can anyone show me how to do it?
Six months. Depends if there are document fees

You need people for that...i am not one of those people
You're right--I do need people. No math people around here on Fridays. Ran into this problem with a student last night, and I tried and tried to isolate t, but I couldn't do it.

Simple Interest formula:
Okay, I get that.

Moon, how did you do it? I need to show the student, too.

43.2 months

Monthly Payments

$ 13.62

Total Principal Paid$500
Total Interest Paid$99.31

Simple Interest formula:
Okay, I get that.

I’ve dealt with a lot of loans.

Simple Interest formula:
Okay, I get that.

You made it up, right?

Simple Interest formula:
Okay, I get that.

You made it up, right?
Yep, After being an electronic tech I stay away from algebra...

Simple Interest formula:
Okay, I get that.

You made it up, right?
Yep, After being an electronic tech I stay away from algebra...
I'm not trying to insult you--do you not know how you got the answer, if that is the answer? What did you add/subtract/multiply/divide or pray over in order to get that answer?

I used simpler numbers in my example here than in the problem I was trying to figure out. I came up with 2 years, too, just common sense, knowing 10% of 500 is $50. But that made it too easy--I'm not sure what I did to know that. Okay. I'm going to try the formula Tresha gave me with the real numbers.

You must also know that P+I=A.

A=500(1+0.1x). so
P+I=500(1+0.1x)
500+100=500+50x
600=500+50x
100=50x
2=x

2 years (if it's *annual*). If they ask how many months, convert to 24.
Great I plugged in my numbers and came up with 28. I suppose it could be 2.3 years, but I didn't do any converting, so it shouldn't have come out months.
I give up on this formula.

Forum List

Back