Algae based ehtanol investments

How could this possibly happen ? Private industry developing alternative energy sources ? Did they get big oil's permission ?:eek:

Thank goodness we are at a point where alt energy sources can be sought and implemented. It's time for Exxon & Co. to exit the monopoly.

Ethanol is a fine alternative to Foreign oil as long as you are not using oil to produce it, However it is not such a fine alternative to oil when it comes to CO2 emissions which leads me to ask why Kirk is pushing it so hard. Isn't he worried about the Ice Caps anymore?

Last edited:
It's my understanding ethanol can be made from several sources, none of which are oil. I'm not a scientist though so my access is limited pretty much to articles written for laymen.

Ethanol is a fine alternative to Foreign oil as long as you are not using oil to produce it, However it is not such a fine alternative to oil when it comes to CO2 emissions which leads me to ask why Kirk is pushing it so hard. Isn't he worried about the Ice Caps anymore?

You asked me this question before, and I told you, algae love CO2. In fact one of the ways discussed to grow algae was to use the CO2 from coal and oil power plants to force feed the algae CO2.

You asked me this question before, and I told you, algae love CO2. In fact one of the ways discussed to grow algae was to use the CO2 from coal and oil power plants to force feed the algae CO2.

That does not change the fact that when you burn the Ethanol in your car. It still lets off CO2. Nor does it change the fact that Oil is used in the poduction of Ethanol.

How much will it cost to trap CO2 from power plants and feed it to the algea anyways??

That said, I will admit Algea Based Ethanol is a damn site better than Corn based.

Last edited:
That does not change the fact that when you burn the Ethanol in your car. It still lets off CO2. Nor does it change the fact that Oil is used in the poduction of Ethanol.

How much will it cost to trap CO2 from power plants and feed it to the algea anyways??

That said, I will admit Algea Based Ethanol is a damn site better than Corn based.

The CO2 that the algae absorbs cancels out the CO2 added from burning ethanol in cars. See?

Offshore deposits of iron shavings (deposit meaning the sprinkling of iron over the water from airplanes) give rise to massive algae blooms. In the open water, there is not enough iron to sustain blooms, but with our help we can produce tremendous carbon sinks.

The fear is that we could do substantial damage to the biodiversity if these blooms are not carefully controlled. Marine biologists are still unsure of the future of this practice, because we need to observe a long term impact before we start creating new ecosystems in the open ocean.

Forum List

Back