Alert Status - Yellow

DavidS

Anti-Tea Party Member
Sep 7, 2008
New York, NY
Uh, folks in the Northeast? Do you like snow? We could have a White Thanksgiving of epic proportions with a low pressure system stalling for nearly 3 days off of the coast of Long Island starting Thanksgiving and ending Saturday or Sunday afterwards. As I've mentioned several times, weather models are very much like polls. This is an outlier but something to pay attention to if you begin to see a trend.

Long range, this looks like a NASTY, COLD winter. That map with the blue and green, the 0c line is 0 degrees celsius, which means anywhere above that line is at or below freezing. The darker the greens and blues, the more precip. That's Friday, 12/5/08, 1 week after this epic Thanksgiving Day blizzard.

Last edited:
index.php

Attachments

• $gfs_500_150s.gif
    $gfs_500_150s.gif
    40 KB · Views: 61
  • $gfs_500_168s.gif
    $gfs_500_168s.gif
    39.4 KB · Views: 66
  • $gfs_pcp_348s.gif
    $gfs_pcp_348s.gif
    34.2 KB · Views: 69
Last edited:
God, I hope not.

Particularly cold winter will sink me and one hell of a lot of folks in the Northeast, I think.

That is, unless the price of heating fuel continues to drop, of course, then most of us can squeek through another heating season.

What happened to Global Warming???

We're in the climate we're in right now because of La Nina. This year is just one year. You can't take one year as a trend. If the next decade is below average temperatures, then that's a trend.

Also something of note... if this winter is as cold as I think it's going to be, watch out come March, April and May in the midwest. It'll be one hell of a severe weather/tornado season.

We're in the climate we're in right now because of La Nina. This year is just one year. You can't take one year as a trend. If the next decade is below average temperatures, then that's a trend.

Like the two decades of cooling we had in the 60's and 70's, back when wackos convinced the world we'd have another ice age? Now we're going to all burn to death. It's all because of natural climate cycles. I'm not saying we don't help accelerate those cycles, but there's not much we can do to stop them, either.

But yeah, this winter is going to be cold. It was 16 degrees when I woke up this morning, and I live in Northwest Arkansas. Given, I do live up in the mountains, but still, it's cold for this time of year. It was the same a couple of years ago. I remember it was the week before Thanksgiving, and we got a nice little ice storm. I literally watched the temperature drop 10 degrees in less than 15 minutes sitting in my car, and it was raining/sleeting. The parking lot behind my apartment became a skating rink by morning.

Forum List

Back