Alcoholism

I have been witness to more Nicotine addiction, both smoking and vaping than alcoholism. Although I did lose a friend to alcoholism and prescription drug abuse who was driven to suicide because of it.

It's not drinking or drugs that is the problem. It is the life pressures that people use alcohol and drugs in which to escape.

nicotine itself isn't much worse than caffeine. It's all the added shit and combustion by products that kill you

I think cigs kill due to the temp of the smoke burning tissue on the way in.Gotta snort Bacardi 151 daily to salve the burnz :alcoholic:

Both my parents were addicts and yet I have no trouble with booze or drugs.

It takes a long time to get addicted to anything

Becoming an alcoholic takes commitment

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Were you a drug baby or did the addiction come later on down the road?

This is FAS
Fetal alcohol syndrome - Symptoms and causes
Basics about FASDs

You can have a mom that sporadically drank or drank and didn't know they were pregnant and the screening at the time of birth comes out fine and FAS is not diagnosed. At least not right off the bat.

It doesn't take that long to get addicted to heroin, meth, crack, fentanyl. At all. And if you have a newborn that is going through withdrawals from name your drug they are born addicts.

It's a higher risk. You can have five siblings born to drug addicts and 3 of them have substance abuse issues of their own and two don't have any issues. Why? Dunno. I like to call it......don't need to be hit by a mac truck to know it hurts theory.
dsir,
There is clear evidence with addiction and physiological changes in the brain's pleasure centers.

Still, the only real "cure" is to modify behaviors.

Which is why addiction is not a disease

You can cure it by simply abstaining from the substance you are addicted to.

So if I lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol he will be cured

If I lock a guy with cancer in a room the mere act of locking him in a room will not cure his cancer

Cancer is a disease alcoholism isn't
It's not that simple. Cancer and addiction are both diseases.

If you lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol, sure he may be cured in mild cases. However, in more serious cases he may die from acute alcohol withdrawal.

Addiction is not a disease. Addiction is the result of repeated use of a substance or drug which causes biochemical and physical changes in the body and that physical dependence takes time to manifest. It takes a protracted period of very heavy drinking to become addicted to alcohol.

A person can get cancer regardless of their behavior one cannot become an addict without engaging in the behaviors that cause addiction
You sure are a hard learner. A disease is a disease, regardless of the cause.

I don't believe that Alcoholism, or any other drug addiction is a "disease". That is a way of removing accountability from individuals. It is often a lack of coping skills, and just an escape for people with weak character using it as an excuse to not deal with reality.

Were you a drug baby or did the addiction come later on down the road?

This is FAS
Fetal alcohol syndrome - Symptoms and causes
Basics about FASDs

You can have a mom that sporadically drank or drank and didn't know they were pregnant and the screening at the time of birth comes out fine and FAS is not diagnosed. At least not right off the bat.

It doesn't take that long to get addicted to heroin, meth, crack, fentanyl. At all. And if you have a newborn that is going through withdrawals from name your drug they are born addicts.

It's a higher risk. You can have five siblings born to drug addicts and 3 of them have substance abuse issues of their own and two don't have any issues. Why? Dunno. I like to call it......don't need to be hit by a mac truck to know it hurts theory.
dsir,
There is clear evidence with addiction and physiological changes in the brain's pleasure centers.

So if I lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol he will be cured

If I lock a guy with cancer in a room the mere act of locking him in a room will not cure his cancer

If you lock an alcoholic in a room where it is impossible for him to get alcohol, sure he may be cured in mild cases. However, in more serious cases he may die from acute alcohol withdrawal.

Addiction is not a disease. Addiction is the result of repeated use of a substance or drug which causes biochemical and physical changes in the body and that physical dependence takes time to manifest. It takes a protracted period of very heavy drinking to become addicted to alcohol.

A person can get cancer regardless of their behavior one cannot become an addict without engaging in the behaviors that cause addiction
Addiction is not a disease

dsir,

Addiction is not a disease.
disease (dĭ-zēz´) a definite pathological process having a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. It may affect the whole body or any of its parts, and its etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown.

Dorlands Medical Dictionary:disease

You are a hard learner because you simply cannot admit to yourself when you are clearly wrong. That's why you did so poorly in school, dumbass.

disease (dĭ-zēz´) a definite pathological process having a characteristic set of signs and symptoms. It may affect the whole body or any of its parts, and its etiology, pathology, and prognosis may be known or unknown.

You are a hard learner because you simply cannot admit to yourself when you are clearly wrong. That's why you did so poorly in school, dumbass.
What is the definition of addiction?

addiction

Definition
Addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one substance or process

Where in that definition does it say addiction is a disease?

now compare that to the definition of cancer from the same source

cancer

Cancer is not just one disease, but a large group of almost 100 diseases. Its two main characteristics are uncontrolled growth of the cells in the human body and the ability of these cells to migrate from the original site and spread to distant sites. If the spread is not controlled, cancer can result in death.

addiction

Definition
Addiction is a persistent, compulsive dependence on a behavior or substance. The term has been partially replaced by the word dependence for substance abuse. Addiction has been extended, however, to include mood-altering behaviors or activities. Some researchers speak of two types of addictions: substance addictions (for example, alcoholism, drug abuse, and smoking); and process addictions (for example, gambling, spending, shopping, eating, and sexual activity). There is a growing recognition that many addicts, such as polydrug abusers, are addicted to more than one substance or process

What disqualifies it from being a disease, Mr. hard learner?

addiction

Definition

What disqualifies it from being a disease, Mr. hard learner?

What in the definition says addiction is a disease? Surely if addiction was a disease it would say that in the definition.

The definition of cancer clearly states it is not just one but a collection of diseases.

New Topics

Forum List

Back