Alcohol vs. Weed

Neser Boha

upgrade your gray matter
Mar 4, 2009
Nordic Bayou
I decided to create this thread because I'm miffed at the Swedish attitude towards weed, considering what gargantuan amounts of alcohol is being consumed by people around here. It seems to be ok to get drunk almost anywhere, including family reunions and work-parties. Yet, after mentioning weed to even people of my age (mid-twenties) most of the time you get the deer-in-the-headlights look or some sort of a hurried ... 'I don't do drugs' retort. I've even heard from a few people that are regular marijuana users that pretty much everyone above the age of fourty equates marijuana to heroin, here in this open-minded liberal Sweden.

It's funny, dontcha think?

Here is a number of this years' dead from alcohol-consumption: 1,556,993 (the number is probably higher in reality as there are many developing countries that do not have the statistics-collecting capabilities of developed countries)

Got that from here: Alcohol Statistics - Worldometers

I wonder how many dead there are around the world from marijuana consumption ... I'd venture a guess ... directly caused by marijuana 0, major contributing factor ... probably a bunch of goddamn idiots that decided to drive while high and ran over a kid.

What do y'all think?
Got anything to add?

i worked er admitting....we would get drunks..saying...."i have been drunk for 3 weeks...i need help" never got a stoner...not once...sure you got them with...."i was climbing this tree and fell out" but never shaking like a dog malling peach pits....and begging for help....

I decided to create this thread because I'm miffed at the Swedish attitude towards weed, considering what gargantuan amounts of alcohol is being consumed by people around here. It seems to be ok to get drunk almost anywhere, including family reunions and work-parties. Yet, after mentioning weed to even people of my age (mid-twenties) most of the time you get the deer-in-the-headlights look or some sort of a hurried ... 'I don't do drugs' retort. I've even heard from a few people that are regular marijuana users that pretty much everyone above the age of fourty equates marijuana to heroin, here in this open-minded liberal Sweden.

Here is a number of this years' dead from alcohol-consumption: 1,556,993 (the number is probably higher in reality as there are many developing countries that do not have the statistics-collecting capabilities of developed countries)

I wonder how many dead there are around the world from marijuana consumption ... I'd venture a guess ... directly caused by marijuana 0, major contributing factor ... probably a bunch of goddamn idiots that decided to drive while high and ran over a kid.

What do y'all think?
Got anything to add?

I agree 100%... and the next time a drinker says 'I don't do drugs'...alcohol IS a drug in the sense that it is not only mind altering, it adversely affect reactions, perception, behavior and judgment...and alcohol withdrawal can even cause death in a human, heroine withdrawal can't...

But here's a thought to ponder...how many bar fights and brawls would there be if marijuana were legal and alcohol banned?

Ever see or hear of a person growing "weed" muscles...LOL

I'd be more interested in discussing Swedish Fish vs. Swedish Meatballs.

And what the deal with all the funny names at IKEA? Do I really want to purchase a sofa called Fuksplat?

I agree with you Neser but you state that the number of dead from pot use would probably be affected by those who drive while under the influence. Don't you think that the nearly 1.6 million dead from alcohol would also be heavily affected by DUI?

I've never smoked weed and I'm nearly 50. I will have an occassional drink and I love the feeling of being just drunk enough to feel the room spinning. But for me the smell of pot makes me sick, almost as sick as the smell of cigarette smoke.

That being said, I would be for changing the laws so that pot was treated like alcohol.

Immie

What do y'all think?
Got anything to add?

I agree 100%... and the next time a drinker says 'I don't do drugs'...alcohol IS a drug in the sense that it is not only mind altering, it adversely affect reactions, perception, behavior and judgment...and alcohol withdrawal can even cause death in a human, heroine withdrawal can't...

But here's a thought to ponder...how many bar fights and brawls would there be if marijuana were legal and alcohol banned?

I think we could even reduce the police forces were weed legal. ;)

I'll choose a bunch of stoners over a group of annoying drunkards to hang with anytime. Of course, the preferred company is neither ...

And what the deal with all the funny names at IKEA? Do I really want to purchase a sofa called Fuksplat?

Xotoxi ... why WOULDN'T you want to buy a sofa called Fuksplat :lol:

I agree with you Neser but you state that the number of dead from pot use would probably be affected by those who drive while under the influence. Don't you think that the nearly 1.6 million dead from alcohol would also be heavily affected by DUI?

I've never smoked weed and I'm nearly 50. I will have an occassional drink and I love the feeling of being just drunk enough to feel the room spinning. But for me the smell of pot makes me sick, almost as sick as the smell of cigarette smoke.

That being said, I would be for changing the laws so that pot was treated like alcohol.

Immie

I really like your attitude especially considering the fact that you never even smoked weed.

I don't think the 1.6 million dead did not include DUI cases ... in USA alone (in 2006) 22 000 people died due to alcohol abuse and that figure excludes such things as DUIs or accidents caused by alcohol consumption. Alcohol | Drug War Facts

Last edited:

What do y'all think?
Got anything to add?

I think we could even reduce the police forces were weed legal. ;)

I'll choose a bunch of stoners over a group of annoying drunkards to hang with anytime. Of course, the preferred company is neither ...

I'd like to see marijuana legalized. But that will probably never happen. But there is a dire need to reverse the draconian laws and legal practices that see marijuana users sent to jail or prison...

We can thank the corporate greed of William Randolph Hearst and the severely twisted and paranoid mind of Tricky Dick Nixon...the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970 placed marijuana in the Schedule I drug category along side heroin

i like the bed gutvik (goodfuck)

Gutvik.gif

makes a good ensemble with a kiddy chair called leksvik (suckfuck)

Immie

I really like your attitude especially considering the fact that you never even smoked weed.

I don't think the 1.6 million dead did not include DUI cases ... in USA alone (in 2006) 22 000 people died due to alcohol abuse and that figure excludes such things as DUIs or accidents caused by alcohol consumption. Alcohol | Drug War Facts

Okay, I didn't have time to fully analyze the link regarding the alcohol/drug war facts but my question to you (assuming you know the answer and if you don't it is okay. I'm not putting you on the spot here) is this: The 1.6 million figure is not from the same data field as the 22,000 figure, so does the 1.6 million figure include the 22,000 figure AND deaths by DUI?

The report you linked speaks of 22,000 deaths related to alcohol consumption sans accidents. I am assuming total deaths related to alcohol consumption including DUI deaths that are alcohol related would be much higher than the 22,000. Meaning that the data fields from the two reports you showed might not be the same.

Am I stating that well?

Immie

Immie

Okay, I didn't have time to fully analyze the link regarding the alcohol/drug war facts but my question to you (assuming you know the answer and if you don't it is okay. I'm not putting you on the spot here) is this: The 1.6 million figure is not from the same data field as the 22,000 figure, so does the 1.6 million figure include the 22,000 figure AND deaths by DUI?

The report you linked speaks of 22,000 deaths related to alcohol consumption sans accidents. I am assuming total deaths related to alcohol consumption including DUI deaths that are alcohol related would be much higher than the 22,000. Meaning that the data fields from the two reports you showed might not be the same.

Am I stating that well?

Immie

The initial figure I posted here is supposedly based on WHO figures ... however, when I went onto the WHO website, this is what I found ...

Worldwide alcohol causes 1.8 million deaths (3.2% of total) and 58.3 million (4% of total) of Disability-Adjusted Life Years (DALYs). Unintentional injuries alone account for about one third of the 1.8 million deaths, while neuro-psychiatric conditions account for close to 40% of the 58.3 million DALYs. The burden is not equally distributed among the countries, as is shown on the map below.

Here: http://www.who.int/substance_abuse/facts/alcohol/en/index.html

Gutvik.gif

In what language does 'vik' mean 'fuck'? In swedish 'vik' means 'bay'.

Gutvik.gif

In what language does 'vik' mean 'fuck'? In swedish 'vik' means 'bay'.

in german, if you pronounce the v like an f, not the swedish or norwegian way. gutvik is pronounced güdwik, but i won't have to tell you that, haha.

Oh, the german 'fick'. :) It's been too long since I had a german fick-buddy :D It should have occurred to me tho ...

I think that if you mix them both and listen to Steve Miller band it will make you cream in your panties.

According to this table, marijuana is safer than aspirin and sex. ;)
The table does not list how commonly the use of aspirin occurs relative to the use of marijuana. Further, looking at the site it is clearly supportive of legalizing marijuana so they are only going to give credence to the facts which support their cause. Look at note 8 - all they have to do to claim there are no marijuana deaths is internally decide that all such reports are not credible.

It is known that marijuana impedes brain function.
It is known that the impairment lasts longer than the gross (easily observed/noted) effects.
It is known that marijuana, like alcohol and tobacco, has an adverse effect on fetuses.

Those facts combine to make me recommend that individuals not use marijuana, tobacco or alcohol except in medicinal amounts by a doctor's recommendation.
However, given the ludicrous ineffectiveness of the 'War on Drugs' I would not object to legalizing and regulating marijuana.

Forum List

Back