Alcohol vs. Anti-Depressants

Discussion in 'Health and Lifestyle' started by mal, Feb 10, 2010.

1. mal

mal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,955
    Alcohol vs. Anti-Depressants

I have Known More than a few People who are basically Hooked on Anti-Depressants who Used to Drink.

They can’t Seem to Function in Normal Society unless they Perceive EVERYTHING to be just Fine and Dandy, so they have Doctors who Feed them Pills in an Attempt to Defy the Realities of Life.

I would Assume that if they didn’t have the Pills, they would be Drinking as they were Before the Pills, if not Worse!

Not All of them were Problem Drinkers either, at least by an Objective Standard.

So, why does Society Smile on “Drug Addicts” on this Issue but it Shames the “Drunk”?

Again, I am NOT Talking about someone who Drinks so Much that they can’t Work the next Day or they Drink ALL Day and aren’t even Functional in Society.

I am Talking about someone who has some Drinks in the Evening to Wind Down… Which by the way, MANY on the Anti-Booze Side of things would say IS “Alcoholism”.

But then again, AA is for Quitters, so we Know where they Sit BEFORE we even find out where they Stand, don’t we.

I Honestly Believe that if you went in to them and said "I have (2) Glasses of Wine with Dinner every night", and you were Concerned that it Might be a Problem, that they would Lead you to Believe that you DO have a Problem…. But I Digress.

AA does Great Work for those who can Utilize their Brand of Assistance.

Reminds me of being at the Doctor with my Wife and Kids, Assisting her with the Kids for her Visit, and she was Telling our Doctor about my Parents just Passing…

As we left the Room, he Leaned in to me and in a Quiet Voice and said something along the Lines of, “If you need any Anti-Depressants or anything, just let me Know"...

I didn’t say a Word about my Parents Dying, my Wife was simply Illustrating the Stress in our Lives at the Time that might have been Contributing to her Chest Tightness. Her Issue Ended up being a Product of a Recent Pregnancy, and it Remedied itself.

I wasn’t even there for an Issue, nor was I Expressing Concern for ANY Condition of Mine, Mental or otherwise, yet I was the one Offered the Narcotics.

So I went Home and Had a Couple of Drinks with the Wife and Forgot about the whole it until just now.

Seriously though, what is it with the Pill Pushers?… Aside from the Obvious Padding of the Paycheck, of course...

And are Pills better for Dealing with the Realities of Life than Alcohol?

Copyright ©2010 - americanfreepress.org/tha malcontent

:)

peace...

2. xotoxi

xotoxi BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,157
    Were you offered "narcotics" or an anti-depressant?

There is a big difference.

Narcotics are for pain, not for depression or anxiety.

Antidepressants are for depression or anxiety and non-addicting.

Maybe you had been offered a benzodiazepine (which is not a narcotic, but can be addictive or abused). These meds can be sedating and are a good short-term med for severe anxiety, panic attacks, or grief reaction. They have a similar affect on the body as alcohol, but they are far safer to be used to treat anxiety.

Just some clarifications.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. mal

mal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,955
    Don't Know... He Basically said what he Said, which Included the "or Anything" part, and of course I wasn't Interested nor was I Illustrating an Issue I was Having, so I don't Really Know what the Offer would have Produced...

The Idea that it was NOT my Appointment and that it was my Wife who was the Concern, is what Struck both of us after we Left.

And I don't Agree that Many of those Anti-Depressants aren't Addicting...

The People I Know who are on them have been for a LONG Time...

When they have Tried to Stop, they can't... Sounds like Addiction to me.

But I'm NOT a Doctor... I Hear you are though! ;)

peace...

4. xotoxi

xotoxi BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,157
    I suppose you could say that they are addicting...

...just the same way that blood pressure meds are addicting: when people try to stop them, their blood pressure goes up.

5. mal

mal Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,955
    And I am NOT Questioning that there is a Need for them... It's the Same Need that Drives People to the Bottle...

In the End, it's a Matter of Degree... And Potential Risk.

Certainly Booze has it's Risks... Alcoholism is Real...

So are Drugs having Side Effects and Long-Term Effects that have yet to be Found in some of them.

Either way, there is a Stigma MORE on Booze than Anti-Depressants in my Experience, and it's Curious.

peace...

6. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    Simple. Xanax has a lot less calories than Merlot. I prefer the combo:

[​IMG]

JUST KIDDING!

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,695
    could be do to the fact that people on anti-depressants aren't obnoxiously loud, stumble all over and puke in you lap. :lol:

8. RetiredGySgt

RetiredGySgt Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,902
    Xotoxi is a doctor? And did not inform you all that Alcohol is a DEPRESSANT? There is almost no point to taking anti depressants and then drinking a lot. Alcohol depresses you.

Any Doctor will tell you this and advice you to not drink or drink very little while on anti depressants.

9. xotoxi

xotoxi BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,157
    I wasn't asked for advice on whether he should or should not drink alcohol.

10. chanel

chanel Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,746
    Why Antidepressants Don't Work for Half of Patients - Mental Health | Illness | Disorders - FOXNews.com

Well that's depressing.

I believe there's a great placebo effect with these drugs. Alcohol's effects are unpredictable. Some drunks can be really mean one day and huggy kissy the next.