Alcohol vs. Anti-Depressants

mal

Diamond Member
Mar 16, 2009
Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde™
Alcohol vs. Anti-Depressants

I have Known More than a few People who are basically Hooked on Anti-Depressants who Used to Drink.

They can’t Seem to Function in Normal Society unless they Perceive EVERYTHING to be just Fine and Dandy, so they have Doctors who Feed them Pills in an Attempt to Defy the Realities of Life.

I would Assume that if they didn’t have the Pills, they would be Drinking as they were Before the Pills, if not Worse!

Not All of them were Problem Drinkers either, at least by an Objective Standard.

So, why does Society Smile on “Drug Addicts” on this Issue but it Shames the “Drunk”?

Again, I am NOT Talking about someone who Drinks so Much that they can’t Work the next Day or they Drink ALL Day and aren’t even Functional in Society.

I am Talking about someone who has some Drinks in the Evening to Wind Down… Which by the way, MANY on the Anti-Booze Side of things would say IS “Alcoholism”.

But then again, AA is for Quitters, so we Know where they Sit BEFORE we even find out where they Stand, don’t we.

I Honestly Believe that if you went in to them and said "I have (2) Glasses of Wine with Dinner every night", and you were Concerned that it Might be a Problem, that they would Lead you to Believe that you DO have a Problem…. But I Digress.

AA does Great Work for those who can Utilize their Brand of Assistance.

Reminds me of being at the Doctor with my Wife and Kids, Assisting her with the Kids for her Visit, and she was Telling our Doctor about my Parents just Passing…

As we left the Room, he Leaned in to me and in a Quiet Voice and said something along the Lines of, “If you need any Anti-Depressants or anything, just let me Know"...

I didn’t say a Word about my Parents Dying, my Wife was simply Illustrating the Stress in our Lives at the Time that might have been Contributing to her Chest Tightness. Her Issue Ended up being a Product of a Recent Pregnancy, and it Remedied itself.

I wasn’t even there for an Issue, nor was I Expressing Concern for ANY Condition of Mine, Mental or otherwise, yet I was the one Offered the Narcotics.

So I went Home and Had a Couple of Drinks with the Wife and Forgot about the whole it until just now.

Seriously though, what is it with the Pill Pushers?… Aside from the Obvious Padding of the Paycheck, of course...

And are Pills better for Dealing with the Realities of Life than Alcohol?

Copyright ©2010 - americanfreepress.org/tha malcontent

:)

peace...

I wasn’t even there for an Issue, nor was I Expressing Concern for ANY Condition of Mine, Mental or otherwise, yet I was the one Offered the Narcotics.

Were you offered "narcotics" or an anti-depressant?

There is a big difference.

Narcotics are for pain, not for depression or anxiety.

Antidepressants are for depression or anxiety and non-addicting.

Maybe you had been offered a benzodiazepine (which is not a narcotic, but can be addictive or abused). These meds can be sedating and are a good short-term med for severe anxiety, panic attacks, or grief reaction. They have a similar affect on the body as alcohol, but they are far safer to be used to treat anxiety.

Just some clarifications.

Were you offered "narcotics" or an anti-depressant?

There is a big difference.

Narcotics are for pain, not for depression or anxiety.

Antidepressants are for depression or anxiety and non-addicting.

Maybe you had been offered a benzodiazepine (which is not a narcotic, but can be addictive or abused). These meds can be sedating and are a good short-term med for severe anxiety, panic attacks, or grief reaction. They have a similar affect on the body as alcohol, but they are far safer to be used to treat anxiety.

Just some clarifications.

Don't Know... He Basically said what he Said, which Included the "or Anything" part, and of course I wasn't Interested nor was I Illustrating an Issue I was Having, so I don't Really Know what the Offer would have Produced...

The Idea that it was NOT my Appointment and that it was my Wife who was the Concern, is what Struck both of us after we Left.

And I don't Agree that Many of those Anti-Depressants aren't Addicting...

The People I Know who are on them have been for a LONG Time...

When they have Tried to Stop, they can't... Sounds like Addiction to me.

But I'm NOT a Doctor... I Hear you are though! ;)

peace...

I suppose you could say that they are addicting...

...just the same way that blood pressure meds are addicting: when people try to stop them, their blood pressure goes up.

...just the same way that blood pressure meds are addicting: when people try to stop them, their blood pressure goes up.

And I am NOT Questioning that there is a Need for them... It's the Same Need that Drives People to the Bottle...

In the End, it's a Matter of Degree... And Potential Risk.

Certainly Booze has it's Risks... Alcoholism is Real...

So are Drugs having Side Effects and Long-Term Effects that have yet to be Found in some of them.

Either way, there is a Stigma MORE on Booze than Anti-Depressants in my Experience, and it's Curious.

peace...

Simple. Xanax has a lot less calories than Merlot. I prefer the combo:

CafeMochaVodkaValiumLatte.jpg

JUST KIDDING!

And I am NOT Questioning that there is a Need for them... It's the Same Need that Drives People to the Bottle...

So are Drugs having Side Effects and Long-Term Effects that have yet to be Found in some of them.

Either way, there is a Stigma MORE on Booze than Anti-Depressants in my Experience, and it's Curious.

peace...

could be do to the fact that people on anti-depressants aren't obnoxiously loud, stumble all over and puke in you lap. :lol:

• Thanks
Reactions: mal
Xotoxi is a doctor? And did not inform you all that Alcohol is a DEPRESSANT? There is almost no point to taking anti depressants and then drinking a lot. Alcohol depresses you.

Any Doctor will tell you this and advice you to not drink or drink very little while on anti depressants.

Xotoxi is a doctor? And did not inform you all that Alcohol is a DEPRESSANT? There is almost no point to taking anti depressants and then drinking a lot. Alcohol depresses you.

Any Doctor will tell you this and advice you to not drink or drink very little while on anti depressants.

I wasn't asked for advice on whether he should or should not drink alcohol.

Only half of depressed individuals who take antidepressants actually get a mood lift. And now scientists think they know why: A study in mice found receptors on certain brain cells essentially block the effects of these medicines.

If the same holds true in humans, the other 50 percent of depressed patients may have more effective treatment options.
Why Antidepressants Don't Work for Half of Patients - Mental Health | Illness | Disorders - FOXNews.com

Well that's depressing.

I believe there's a great placebo effect with these drugs. Alcohol's effects are unpredictable. Some drunks can be really mean one day and huggy kissy the next.

Only half of depressed individuals who take antidepressants actually get a mood lift. And now scientists think they know why: A study in mice found receptors on certain brain cells essentially block the effects of these medicines.

Thats interesting stuff, but at this point, there is no test to determine which med will work on a patient. Therefore, we do trial an error.

For example, I will start out with an SSRI (Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil, Celexa, Lexapro). These are the meds that are mentioned in the studies above, as they work with serotonin.

If they are not effective, I will switch to a NDRI (Wellbutrin) which works on norepinephrine and dopamine. Or maybe a SNRI (Effexor, Cymbalta, Pristiq) which work on serotonin and norepinephrine.

Eventually, the right med at the right dose is usually helpful. Sometimes a combination of meds is needed.

Most importantly, counseling is very important. It allows the patient to find the cause of their depression and to cure it, while the meds work just as a bandaid - when they are removed, the depression usually comes back.

That's the problem with many of these meds when used by children xotoxi. I teach students who are on everything from Prozac to Ritalin and despite the fact that they spend 7 hours at school each day, no one ever asks (or even notifies) the teacher to see if they are working. If my kid was falling asleep every day during math, I might want to know. If he or she was extremely hyper right after lunch, I would want to know. It would make more sense for all the adults to monitor this stuff, don't you think? Obviously some parents might not want others to know, but for some who are more concerned with health than "privacy", it might be advisable for them to ask.

I don't Think Booze should be Ruled out, even with Depression...

peace...

I wasn't asked for advice on whether he should or should not drink alcohol.

I would NEVER Take Anti-Depressants...

I don't Like Drugs... Hate Taking Advil, but once and While...

peace...

That's the problem with many of these meds when used by children xotoxi. I teach students who are on everything from Prozac to Ritalin and despite the fact that they spend 7 hours at school each day, no one ever asks (or even notifies) the teacher to see if they are working. If my kid was falling asleep every day during math, I might want to know. If he or she was extremely hyper right after lunch, I would want to know. It would make more sense for all the adults to monitor this stuff, don't you think? Obviously some parents might not want others to know, but for some who are more concerned with health than "privacy", it might be advisable for them to ask.

I never use antidepressants in kids or anyone less than 18.

With regards to stimulants, it is very important for the medical provider to be in contact with the parents and the teachers and monitor closely for any side-effects and make sure that there is improvement in functioning.

peace...

could be do to the fact that people on anti-depressants aren't obnoxiously loud, stumble all over and puke in you lap. :lol:

:beer: :lol:
If you want my thoughts on this topic see the other board with the same thread. haha Deja Vu Mal.

peace...

If you want my thoughts on this topic see the other board with the same thread. haha Deja Vu Mal.

ahhhh the OTHER board :eusa_eh::lol:

peace...

I like Comparing Formats... ;)

peace...

Forum List

Back