Alcohol 'more dangerous than crack, heroin and Ecstasy'

It's not fact... it is a result of a study. One study. Key word: "claims".... the study claims. It does not confirm or establish... it 'claims'. This is the problem with science... the scientific results are misrepresented by those with an agenda.

LOL, the problem with science is ...misrepresented by those with an agenda.; If there is an agenda, it is not science.
That said, in the overall picture, I agree alcohol is the greatest social problem, by far.
Alcohol abuse is a major factor in DUI's, Domestic Violence, Assaults and Battery's, vandalism, homelessness, emergency room visits, work accidents and accidents in the home (falls, etc), child neglect and abuse, abscenteeism from work and chronic illness associated with alcoholism, poor nutrition, liver cancer, heart disease and diabetes. As well as rants by some moderators on this very message board.

If you read the actual study, instead of the gibbering crap in the Mail, that is exactly what the scientists said. Alcohol does more harm than drugs to society. Drugs, however, are harmful to individuals.

Nutt told the Lancet a new classification system ‘would depend on what set of harms “to self or others” you are trying to reduce’.
‘But if you take overall harm, then alcohol, heroin and crack are clearly more harmful than all others, so perhaps drugs with a score of 40 or more could be class A; 39 to 20 class B; 19-10 class C and 10 or under class D,’ he added.
This reclassification would result in tobacco being labelled a class B drug alongside cocaine.
Cannabis would also just make class B, rather than class C. Ecstasy and LSD would end up in the lowest drug category

seems reasonable

The only way I could ever see alcohol being any deadlier than crack, heroin, or ecstasy is because it is so much easier to get a hold of than many of those drugs. I guess my only question for this "Nutt" is by what scale he used? Was he comparing drinking an entire bottle of Jack Daniels to the equivalent(price) of ecstasy or heroin?

did you read the article or you just wanted to do the rightwingnut thing and make fun of someone's name?

from the article:

And while the most dangerous drugs to individual users were judged to be heroin, crack and then crystal meth, alcohol was deemed most harmful to society, followed by heroin and then crack.

Read more: Professor David Nutt: Alcohol 'more harmful than heroin, crack and Ecstasy' | Mail Online

booze can kill, people just turn a blind eye to it. Simpletons are scared by reefer madness and other anti drug propaganda.

Booze can kill and I don't see many people denying this. What I'd deny until I'm blue in the face is that Alcohol is more Dangerous to the Individual than Crack or Heroin.

It's nothing to do with reefer madness. It's just reality.

Other than constipation, heroin is rather benign to the human body. Not so with alcohol, which has a deleterious effect on the body and the mind; and crack, which depletes brain chemestry and is very very very highly addictive and leads to serious depression in a short period of time.
Alcohol is the most prevalent and reaches across socio-economic lines, it therefore impacts all strata of society and societies across all borders.

• Thanks
Reactions: del
did you read the article or you just wanted to do the rightwingnut thing and make fun of someone's name?

Really?!? Are you saying making fun of someone's name is solely a characteristic of rightwingers... Really?!? Guess I learn something new everyday :lol:

As for reading the article... Being on a time constraint and not having a chance to fully read the piece is the reason I wrote what I did in the form of a question.

Forum List

Back