Alcohol Ban Raises Specter of Problems for Qatar's Hosting of 2022 World Cup

High_Gravity

Belligerent Drunk
Nov 19, 2010
Richmond VA
No booze? gonna be the most boring world cup in history, you have to get the booze and the topless Brazilian girls.

Alcohol Ban Raises Specter of Problems for Qatar's Hosting of 2022 World Cup

A ban on alcohol on Qatar's man-made The Pearl Qatar island -- coupled with the naming of a large mosque after the founder of a puritan strand of Islam and online protests against various state-owned companies -- highlights domestic opposition to some of the Gulf state's more forward looking policies as well as freedoms for soccer fans it is expected to host during the 2022 World Cup.

Qatari officials have said that the 500,000 soccer fans expected to descend on their country during the World Cup will be allowed to consume alcohol in designated zones. Alcohol is currently served exclusively in hotels and sold in a Qatar Airways-owned shop only to expatriates who hold a license.

The banning of alcohol on the island, whose restaurants are popular with Qatar's growing expatriate community, was introduced in advance of the Al Kass International Cup, a ten-day Under-17 soccer tournament, involving top world clubs such as Paris Saint-Germain, Brazil's Vasco De Gama (Brazil), Juventus, Ajax, FC Barcelona, Japan's Kashima Antlers and Egypt's, Al Ahly. It also came as senior international figures gathered in Doha at Qatar's invitation to brainstorm over the role of sports in society and what governments, NGO's and the private sector should do to promote sports.

Business at restaurants on the Pearl has dropped as much as 50 percent as a result of the ban. "Obviously the business has dropped; by half... for some restaurants, probably even more," said Sumeet Jinghan, country manager of Foodmark, whose brands include Carluccio's, The Meat Company and Mango Tree.

Mr. Jinghan said Foodmark had suspended plans to open two more restaurants and a club on the Pearl, home to an estimated 41,000 residents, until it became clear whether the ban was permanent or not.

The ban did not immediately affect the Al Kass tournament which attracted primarily only local spectators.

The competition offers Aspire Qatar, the Gulf state's youth team, whose players include young Qataris as well as youths from Africa, Asia and Latin America selected in a yearly talent search from among some 500,000 aspiring soccer playing kids to compete against some of the world's best teams.

The tournament is one initiative in Qatar's emphasis on sports as a cornerstone of its foreign policy, development and effort to shape the energy-rich nation's national identity at a time that youth-driven popular revolts have toppled the leaders of Tunisia, Egypt and Libya and pushed embattled autocrats in Syria and Yemen to the brink. Qatar's Al Jazeera television network has played an important role in the revolts with Syrian President Bashar al-Assad accusing it of instigating and encouraging the protests against his regime.

"Our goal is to create a dialogue that resonates with and talks to the youth. This is an opportunity to inspire and engage young people.... Sports are at the heart of Qatar's development... Sports like education and arts are part of our national identity," said Noora Al Mannai, CEO of Qatar's bid to win the right to host the 2020 Olympic Games. Ms. Al Mannai said "empowering young people" was one reason for the bid alongside Qatar's efforts to mediate conflicts and reduce regional obesity and diabetes levels.

If sports are for Qatar's leaders a key tool in forging national identity, banning alcohol is its equivalent for more conservative and nationalist forces in the Gulf state.

"I don't see a reason to have alcohol. It impacts very negatively on locals. Locals are not happy with it," The Wall Street Journal quoted Qatari writer Abdul Aziz Al Mahmoud as saying.

Conservative Qataris worry that an increasing number of their compatriots, often dressed in full-length robes, the Gulf's national dress, drink publicly in hotels and bars. "It is a taboo in Qatar to see somebody wearing the national dress and drinking," said Hassan Al Ibrahim, a Qatari commentator, according to the Journal.

James Dorsey: Alcohol Ban Raises Specter of Problems for Qatar's Hosting of 2022 World Cup

The only enjoyable part of Soccer (Futbol) is getting drunk. I played one year of Soccer when I was a kid and was in Japan when the J-League started. I watched quite a few of the yawn fests. Beer is mandatory. Hallucinogenics would be even better.

The only enjoyable part of Soccer (Futbol) is getting drunk. I played one year of Soccer when I was a kid and was in Japan when the J-League started. I watched quite a few of the yawn fests. Beer is mandatory. Hallucinogenics would be even better.

I like drinking during any sporting events, I think it goes hand in hand. Not to mention they are going to keep the Brazilian ladies all covered up too, this is going to be one boring World Cup.:(

We can forget seeing ladies like these at the Qatar world cup.

sexy-brazilian-soccer-fan.jpg

football-brazil-l.jpg

brazilian-womens-soccer-team2.jpg

Maybe a protest will help.

Doubt it, the Qataris are lucky to have alcohol in that country at all with the Saudis right next door and they are not going to want and test their luck, any protests done outside the country on this will fall on deaf ears, the Qataris won't give a fuck.

Beer 'must be sold' at Brazil World Cup, says Fifa
Beer must be sold at all venues hosting matches in the 2014 World Cup in Brazil, football's world governing body, Fifa, has insisted.

Fifa General Secretary Jerome Valcke said the right to sell beer must be enshrined in a World Cup law the Brazilian Congress is considering.

Alcoholic drinks are currently banned at Brazilian stadiums and the country's health minister has urged Congress to maintain the ban in the new law.

Brewer Budweiser is a big Fifa sponsor.
BBC News - Beer 'must be sold' at Brazil World Cup, says Fifa

prhobition-we-want-beer-parade.jpg

Forum List

Back