Alcohol and marijuana study findings

editec

Mr. Forgot-it-All
Jun 5, 2008
Maine
The clinical evidence just keeps mounting up, folks.

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]San Diego, CA:[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Compounds in cannabis may offset some of the adverse effects of alcohol on the adolescent brain, according to clinical trial data published online by The Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.[/FONT][/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Investigators at the University of California at San Diego assessed the cognitive performance of 130 adolescents (65 with histories of heavy marijuana use, and 65 non-marijuana-using controls), ranging in age from 15.7 to 19.1 years. Authors reported that the use of marijuana appeared to moderate the adverse effects of alcohol on verbal learning and memory.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Researchers determined, "Regression models revealed that greater alcohol hangover symptoms predicted worse verbal learning and memory scores for non-marijuana users, but alcohol hangover symptoms were not linked to performance among marijuana users."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They concluded: "Results confirm previous studies linking adolescent heavy drinking to reduced verbal learning and memory performance. However, this relationship is not seen in adolescents with similar levels of alcohol involvement who also are heavy users of marijuana."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]A previous study published in 2009 reported that binge drinkers who also used cannabis experienced significantly less white matter damage to the brain as compared to subjects who consumed alcohol alone.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"Binge drinkers who also use marijuana did not show as consistent a divergence from non-users as did the binge drink-only group," investigators concluded. "[It is] possible that marijuana may have some neuroprotective properties in mitigating alcohol-related oxidative stress or excitotoxic cell death." [/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Commenting on the findings, NORML Deputy Director Paul Armentano said, "Alcohol and cannabis appear to have contrasting effects on the human brain," he said. "Ethanol is clearly toxic to healthy and developing cells whereas moderate doses of cannabinoids appear to be relatively non-toxic and possibly even neuroprotective."[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]For more information, please contact Paul Armentano, NORML Deputy Director, at: [email protected]. Full text of the study, "Learning and memory performances in adolescent users of alcohol and marijuana: interactive effects," appears in The Journal of Studies on Alcohol and Drugs.[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Peer reviewed scientific studies continue to support the argument that the prohibition of Marijuana is unjustifiable from a medical standpoint.

The complete failure of the War on Drugs to eradicate drug use, and the disasterous consequences to society as a whole that stem from this war on our civil rights, likewise argue that this prohibition is foolish and misguided.

It falls to the American people to take lead in ending this pernicious and (I think) evil policy.

If the people lead the leaders will eventually follow.

Last edited:
It's really too bad that we've WASTED all this time with a WAR on it,

rather than STUDYING it.

Once the research starts, I believe we're going to find a LOT of beneficial uses for it.

The Controlled Substances Act (CSA) was enacted into law by the Congress of the United States as Title II of the Comprehensive Drug Abuse Prevention and Control Act of 1970.

Schedule I controlled substances

(1) Schedule I.—

(A) The drug or other substance has a high potential for abuse.

(B) The drug or other substance has no currently accepted medical use in treatment in the United States.

(C) There is a lack of accepted safety for use of the drug or other substance under medical supervision."

Drugs in this schedule include:
Marijuana.
Heroin

Nixon Tapes Reveal Twisted Roots Of Marijuana Prohibition

White House Conversations Reveal Prejudices, Culture War Behind Nixon's Drug War

Highlights of Nixon comments on marijuana:

* Jews and marijuana: "I see another thing in the news summary this morning about it. That's a funny thing, every one of the bastards that are out for legalizing marijuana is Jewish. What the Christ is the matter with the Jews, Bob, what is the matter with them? I suppose it's because most of them are psychiatrists . . ."

* Marijuana and the culture wars: "You see, homosexuality, dope, immorality in general. These are the enemies of strong societies. That's why the Communists and the left-wingers are pushing the stuff, they're trying to destroy us."

* Marijuana compared to alcohol: marijuana consumers smoke "to get high" while "a person drinks to have fun." Nixon also saw marijuana leading to loss of motivation and discipline but claimed: "At least with liquor I don't lose motivation."

* Marijuana and political dissent: ". . . radical demonstrators that were here . . . two weeks ago . . . They're all on drugs, virtually all."

* Drug education: "Enforce the law, you’ve got to scare them."

US_incarceration_timeline.gif

Let me get this straight, If you get drunk and stoned at the same time you're OK...

Is that what I'm reading here?

Because we spent some pretty fucked up nights in the early 70's and we weren't exactly OK....

Forum List

Back