Alcindor/Kareem

michael-jordan-dunking.jpg

Wiki and I agree...

"Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr., April 16, 1947) is a retired American professional basketball player. He is the NBA's all-time leading scorer, with 38,387 points.

"During his career with the NBA's Milwaukee Bucks and Los Angeles Lakers from 1969 to 1989, Abdul-Jabbar won six NBA championships and a record six regular season MVP Awards. In college at UCLA, he played on three consecutive national championship teams, and his high school team won 71 consecutive games."

Kareem Abdul-Jabbar - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kareem lost most of his high school and college games because there was no shot clock at that time. His opponents would hold the ball long enough to get a lay-up or free throw. (Ask the nearest Trojan)

"Best" is hard to quantify, but it's far less debatable that Kareem was the most dominant player the game has yet seen in terms of producing wins and championships.

"At the time of his retirement, Abdul-Jabbar was the NBA's all-time leader in points scored, games played, minutes played, field goals made, field goal attempts, blocked shots, defensive rebounds, and personal fouls."

Wiki and I agree...

"Kareem Abdul-Jabbar (born Ferdinand Lewis Alcindor, Jr., April 16, 1947) is a retired American professional basketball player. He is the NBA's all-time leading scorer, with 38,387 points.

Basketball is for pusses these days. Back in Kareem's day it was a man's sport. Kareem thought you were disrespecting him, he'd jack you in the frickin' jaw. Kareem got respect from *EVERYBODY* ... and I'm talking some guys you might think are mighty bad dudes...

Guys like Moses Malone and Daryl Dawkins and Wilt Chamberlain. Bill Lambiere didn't fuck with Kareem. Charles Barkley fucked with everybody, especially Magic and Larry. He minded his manners when Kareem was on the floor.

You can talk statistics all you want, but the fact is that Kareem didn't really ever play in an offense that was focused on him, like Michael did. The reason the Bucks and the Lakers threw into Kareem was to open up the floor for the shooters and it is in that context that he scored the most points in NBA history.

I don't know what statistic there is for, opposing offenses dared not throw the ball inside when Kareem was on the court. But that's what happened. Wilt couldn't handle Kareem. He was the first to admit it.

With the current state of the league, there's almost no chance that anyone will ever perform the way that Kareem did. I would say those guys and that generation were the biggest batch of badasses I ever saw play any sport.

In short. Yes, Kareem.

When Kareem was still in high school Wilt was his biggest fan.
In the spring of 1965 Wilt created a mild uproar when he stated Kareem was good enough to go directly to the NBA from New York's Power Memorial. Luckily for UCLA and John Wooden, Kareem believed differently. In 1976 Kareem began practicing Yoga, and he credits that decision for much of his toughness and staying power. I imagine training with Bruce Lee also helped prepare Kareem for the badasses of his day.

'79-'80 NBA Finals. Game 6.

Magic Johnson registered the finest and most extraordinary performance by any player to ever take the hard court.

This date in sports history- March 21, 1970.

Curtis Rowe scores 19 points and Sidney Wicks adds 17 points and grabs 18 rebounds to lead UCLA to an 80-69 victory over Jacksonville for its 4th consecutive NCAA basketball championship. Jacksonville was the first team to average 100 points per game in a college basketballseason. Had two 7 footers - Artis Gilmore and Pembrooke Burrows III.

Jacksonville got off to a big early lead but UCLA with it's patent disipline didnt panic and came back.

I didnt think UCLA had a prayer in that game.

UCLA had a wizard who believed in prayer in that game.
The play I remember was when Sidney got caught up in the emotion and threw down a slam dunk, which, of course, the NCAA had banned after Kareem's first varsity season. I'm beginning to wonder if Kareem could dominate the NBA as a coach in the same way Wooden ruled college hoop?

UCLA had a wizard who believed in prayer in that game.
The play I remember was when Sidney got caught up in the emotion and threw down a slam dunk, which, of course, the NCAA had banned after Kareem's first varsity season. I'm beginning to wonder if Kareem could dominate the NBA as a coach in the same way Wooden ruled college hoop?

He's in his mid to late sixties, the game has passed him by with the ego's that need to be contained.

^ ^ ^ negged :D

You're right, I forgot about Jerry West...

He's actually the 4th best Laker. :)

Did HE have a patented- shot :confused: :eusa_whistle:

Hook shot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sky hook

The hook shot became a trademark of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the National Basketball Association's all-time leading scorer, who was proficient at the shot at a much greater distance from the basket than most players. The greater distance and resulting higher arc on the shot led to the name sky hook, which was coined during Abdul-Jabbar's tenure with the Milwaukee Bucks and came from the team's radio announcer, Eddie Doucette, who felt that "that hook was so high that it was coming out of the sky".[1] Blocking the 7-foot, 2-inch center's sky hook was a rare feat, accomplished by few players.

Magic Johnson used a similar shooting technique during the 1987 NBA Finals, which he called his "baby hook" in reference to teammate Abdul-Jabbar.[2]

^ ^ ^ negged :D

You're right, I forgot about Jerry West...

He's actually the 4th best Laker. :)

Did HE have a patented- shot :confused: :eusa_whistle:

Hook shot - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sky hook

The hook shot became a trademark of Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, the National Basketball Association's all-time leading scorer, who was proficient at the shot at a much greater distance from the basket than most players. The greater distance and resulting higher arc on the shot led to the name sky hook, which was coined during Abdul-Jabbar's tenure with the Milwaukee Bucks and came from the team's radio announcer, Eddie Doucette, who felt that "that hook was so high that it was coming out of the sky".[1] Blocking the 7-foot, 2-inch center's sky hook was a rare feat, accomplished by few players.

Magic Johnson used a similar shooting technique during the 1987 NBA Finals, which he called his "baby hook" in reference to teammate Abdul-Jabbar.[2]

Don't know, but that's him in the NBA logo silhouette. :eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back