Albright thought she was third in line for Presidency!

CrimsonWhite

*****istrator Emeritus
Mar 13, 2006
Guntucky
I don't have a link yet but Madeine Albright just told Stephen Colbert that she was third in line for the Presidency when in office. I'm actually watching it right now and am appalled at her arrogance. Shouldn't people be given a Constitutional litmus test before being allowed into the Cabinet? I will post a link as soon as I find one.

Current line of succession
Vice-President
Speaker of the House of Representatives
President Pro Tempore of the Senate
Secretary of State
Secretary of the Treasury
Secretary of Defense
Attorney General
Secretary of the Interior
Secretary of Agriculture
Secretary of Commerce
Secretary of Labor
Secretary of Health and Human Services
Secretary of Housing and Urban Development
Secretary of Transportation
Secretary of Energy
Secretary of Education
Secretary of Veterans Affairs
Secretary of Homeland Security (not yet set by law)

onthefence said:
I don't have a link yet but Madeine Albright just told Stephen Colbert that she was third in line for the Presidency when in office. I'm actually watching it right now and am appalled at her arrogance. Shouldn't people be given a Constitutional litmus test before being allowed into the Cabinet? I will post a link as soon as I find one.

Aw, c'mon, you're being a tad harsh ain't ya? She was only out by two places...

Dr Grump said:
Aw, c'mon, you're being a tad harsh ain't ya? She was only out by two places...

I don't think I'm being harsh at all. This person was in charge of all foreign diplomacy. She was the voice of our nation to others around the world. The least she could do is know the Constitution.

onthefence said:
I don't think I'm being harsh at all. This person was in charge of all foreign diplomacy. She was the voice of our nation to others around the world. The least she could do is know the Constitution.

What has the Constitution have to do with foreign diplomacy? I thought she did an OK job. Colin Powell was better....one of the few saving graces of the Bush presidency....

Dr Grump said:
What has the Constitution have to do with foreign diplomacy? I thought she did an OK job. Colin Powell was better....one of the few saving graces of the Bush presidency....

This has nothing to do with how she did the job. She is still a huge voice in the world community. You don't think those that represent us to the world should at least know the Constitution? The Constitution is the foundation of everything that our nation represents. Those that represent us to the world should know what represents us.

onthefence said:
This has nothing to do with how she did the job. She is still a huge voice in the world community. You don't think those that represent us to the world should at least know the Constitution? The Constitution is the foundation of everything that our nation represents. Those that represent us to the world should know what represents us.

A bit of an over-reaction, no? Right now I'm way more concerned that the PRESIDENT doesn't know the Constitution and NEVER knew anything about other countries. And Albright DID do a good job and if she misspoke, she misspoke.... Personally, I was way more embarrassed that Condi was shoe shopping in NYC and going to Broadway shows in the midst of the Katrina debacle. How's that for what our nation represents?

BTW, I forgot about the President pro tempore, myself. Seems it's Ted Stevens, the lovely man with the Bridge to No Where. lol... :halo:

jillian said:
A bit of an over-reaction, no? Right now I'm way more concerned that the PRESIDENT doesn't know the Constitution and NEVER knew anything about other countries. And Albright DID do a good job and if she misspoke, she misspoke.... Personally, I was way more embarrassed that Condi was shoe shopping in NYC and going to Broadway shows in the midst of the Katrina debacle. How's that for what our nation represents?

BTW, I forgot about the President pro tempore, myself. Seems it's Ted Stevens, the lovely man with the Bridge to No Where. lol... :halo:

Just out of curiousity, what should the Secretary of State have been doing during a domestic natural disaster?

5stringJeff said:
Just out of curiousity, what should the Secretary of State have been doing during a domestic natural disaster?

Fair question. I think it's more a matter of perception. It looked incredibly insensitive. And the issue raised in the initial post is that it was embarrassing for Albright to make the mistake she did. I think, under the circumstances, I was way more embarrassed by the appearance raised by the Secretary of State being out partying when something so horrible was going on. Since embarrassment is subjective, was just saying how I feel about it.

But I don't want to hijack this thread. I just think Albright's error wasn't a biggie in the greater scheme of things.

But I don't want to hijack this thread. I just think Albright's error wasn't a biggie in the greater scheme of things.

Of course it was. Can you imagine if a plane went down with the President on board and the Vice President was at that very moment walking in front of a big bus? There'd be Madeleine duking it out with the Speaker of the House AND a few of the others who also thought they were in line for the top job. It would be unseemly.

On the other hand if she was the only one left standing....

jillian said:
Fair question. I think it's more a matter of perception. It looked incredibly insensitive. And the issue raised in the initial post is that it was embarrassing for Albright to make the mistake she did. I think, under the circumstances, I was way more embarrassed by the appearance raised by the Secretary of State being out partying when something so horrible was going on. Since embarrassment is subjective, was just saying how I feel about it.

I reject your reality and replace it with my own! :D

Just kidding... I understand where you're coming from. But I disagree. I think not knowing the chain of succession is somewhat serious - especially for someone in the chain.

5stringJeff said:
I reject your reality and replace it with my own! :D

Just kidding... I understand where you're coming from. But I disagree. I think not knowing the chain of succession is somewhat serious - especially for someone in the chain.

I agree - I was of course kidding (man, the visioning I had to do to get that little bit written was disgusting, reminded me of WTF?WrestlingFederation), but I agree with you, if there's a misunderstanding of succession (hopefully it's never likely to be invoked) it could be very, very difficult.

Diuretic said:
Of course it was. Can you imagine if a plane went down with the President on board and the Vice President was at that very moment walking in front of a big bus? There'd be Madeleine duking it out with the Speaker of the House AND a few of the others who also thought they were in line for the top job. It would be unseemly.

On the other hand if she was the only one left standing....

Well, being out of power for the last six years, doesn't make that much difference now. ;)

jillian said:
Well, being out of power for the last six years, doesn't make that much difference now. ;)

I liked her - and not just because of her political persuasion. She has a brilliant mind. Which makes this kerfuffle all the more surprising............I still think I could beat her in an arm wrestle for the top job though....hah she's lucky I wasn't born an American!

Hey I'm kidding! Of course she'd beat me in an arm wrestle! Sheesh! You think I'd hurt a lovely lady like her?

jillian said:

ah look the lib gives a pass to the dumb old hag....and justifies it by bashing the president of her country and others.....nice stuff

manu1959 said:
ah look the lib gives a pass to the dumb old hag....and justifies it by bashing the president of her country and others.....nice stuff

manu - not often I get down here but since you want to hop into the gutter, let's roll in the mud.

That "dumb old hag" is one smart woman. Regardless of party affiliation she deserves respect as a former Secretary of State of your country. If you have an argument that is in any way connected to the thread I would be stunned to read it.

Diuretic said:
manu - not often I get down here but since you want to hop into the gutter, let's roll in the mud.

That "dumb old hag" is one smart woman. Regardless of party affiliation she deserves respect as a former Secretary of State of your country. If you have an argument that is in any way connected to the thread I would be stunned to read it.

Don't you know? She was appointed by Bill Clinton, so she must be evil. :cof:

jillian said:
Don't you know? She was appointed by Bill Clinton, so she must be evil. :cof:

Bill clinton - the last President of the United States who could travel to virtually any country and be mobbed with people being nice to him? That Bill Clinton? Nice bloke. Came here (as an ex-Pres) and was hugely popular.

Ah, them was the days.

America, what have you done?

Diuretic said:
Bill clinton - the last President of the United States who could travel to virtually any country and be mobbed with people being nice to him? That Bill Clinton? Nice bloke. Came here (as an ex-Pres) and was hugely popular.

Ah, them was the days.

America, what have you done?

Heh! Don't look to me. Wasn't my fault! :rotflmao:

Forum List

Back