Political Junky

Gold Member
May 27, 2009
Alberto Gonzales: My Reputation has Suffered - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

August 10, 2009 11:11 AM
Alberto Gonzales: My Reputation has Suffered
Font size Print Share 77 comments Posted by Prerana Swami

(CBS)
Former attorney general Alberto Gonzales says that there is "no question" that his reputation has taken a turn for the worse after undergoing an investigation into his role in the firings of nine federal prosecutors.

Still, he says that being the attorney general was a "remarkable privilege" and that he stands by his service.

In an interview with the New York Times, Gonzales says that it "sometimes makes him angry" that his character has been damaged by his work at the White House.

Law firms haven't been offering him jobs, Gonzales said, although there has been some interest.

"In a tough economic climate, I can understand why a company or a firm would want to make sure that the investigations are complete and there is no finding of wrongdoing before they make a hiring decision," Gonzales said.

Gonzales also says that he hasn't been in contact with former President George W. Bush since he left office.

"I do, of course, think about our time together," Gonzales said. "But listen, I know that he has a life to live. I've got challenges and my life to live as well."

The former attorney general will begin teaching political science at Texas Tech University this fall, a decision which has some professors protesting against his hiring.

New Topics

Forum List

Back