Alberta Clipper Vs Keystone Xl

Mr. H.

Diamond Member
Aug 19, 2009
A warm place with no memory.
To help wrap our heads around the insanity behind Obama's deliberate stalling on the Keystone XL project, maybe it would help to take a look at another Canadian pipeline - The Alberta Clipper...

The Alberta Clipper moves about 500,000 barrels of tar sands crude into the United States each day. It was approved by the State Department in 2009 and a Presidential Permit was issued to Enbridge Energy for its construction.

The Alberta Clipper crosses the international border with Canada (as would KXL), traverses several States (as would KXL), and terminates at U.S. refineries (as would KXL).

Take a close look at a couple of the comments from the Department of State website posted August 20, 2009 regarding the Alberta Clipper...

The Department found that the addition of crude oil pipeline capacity between Canada and the United States will advance a number of strategic interests of the United States.

Approval of the permit sends a positive economic signal, in a difficult economic period, about the future reliability and availability of a portion of United States’ energy imports, and in the immediate term, this shovel-ready project will provide construction jobs for workers in the United States.

Back to the KXL... it has been through 5 (count 'em, five) environmental impact studies in as many years. It is of the same scope and purpose as the Alberta Clipper Pipeline, and it will reduce crude oil imports from OPEC and other nations who aren't as chummy with us as Canada (to say the least).

This project has evolved into a blatant "political football" with no end in sight.

Forget the jobs figures- they're all over the chart depending upon whom does the regurgitating.

We're talking hundreds of thousands of barrels of crude per day that would NOT be coming from countries such as Algeria, Angola, Ecuador, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Liberia, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela, etc. etc. etc. blah blah blah....

It's going on SIX YEARS!

What I never heard mentioned is the hundreds, maybe thousands of miles of pipelines crossing Nebraska already.

Not a peep
And there's the big stink about the Ogallala Aquifer.

Word up- Agriculture done raped that bitch long ago...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/opinion/polluting-the-ogallala-aquifer.html?_r=0

P.S. - I neglected to link quotes in the OP.

This is the Department of State page addressing the Alberta Clipper pipeline...

Permit for Alberta Clipper Pipeline Issued

My bad.

I shall now self-bitch-slap. It's a first, and you saw it here folks. :slap:

What I never heard mentioned is the hundreds, maybe thousands of miles of pipelines crossing Nebraska already.

Not a peep
You just peeped...
Here's a pic of the event..

images

Not a peep

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/12/01/opinion/polluting-the-ogallala-aquifer.html?_r=0

My bad.

I am sure there is lobbied interest in not building the XL pipeline..

Not a peep

My bad.

And it is obvious which is the stronger lobby... and the strongest vote.

Not a peep

My bad.

It's just moneyed interest between the big boyz...Hell it could even be the Koch's...

Not a peep

My bad.

It's just moneyed interest between the big boyz...Hell it could even be the Koch's...
Yet, as the State Department declared with the Alberta Clipper, these pipelines are about jobs national interest and secure sources of energy.

Because of Obama's delay, shipping crude by rail has increased exponentially in recent years. And this has severely hampered agriculture's ability to get THEIR product to market.

Not that I give a fuck about agriculture.

Forum List

Back