Alaska reelects 84 year old convicted felon

Yeah,I think the way they saw it was to keep the seat red, everyone knows he will prob get kicked out

if alaskans want to be represented by a corrupt politician, so be it. i think theyre idiots for doing so, but thats just my opinion.

if the indictment holds, he'll be kicked out of the senate anyways.

There are two points to be made here. First off, he may yet be aquitted on appeal. But that isn't the main reason many Alaskans chose to support him despite the felony conviction.

Alaska is a very red state. By electing Stevens over the Democrat, if his conviction is upheld and he must resign, then Gov. Palin will be the one to choose his replacement. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm pretty certain that would be the scenario. She obviously would choose a Republican.

So, even with his conviction, there was logical reasoning to vote for Stevens if you were a Republican.

There are two points to be made here. First off, he may yet be aquitted on appeal. But that isn't the main reason many Alaskans chose to support him despite the felony conviction.

Alaska is a very red state. By electing Stevens over the Democrat, if his conviction is upheld and he must resign, then Gov. Palin will be the one to choose his replacement. I'm not 100% positive on this, but I'm pretty certain that would be the scenario. She obviously would choose a Republican.

So, even with his conviction, there was logical reasoning to vote for Stevens if you were a Republican.

Correct, the Governor will appoint the next seat which will immediately be up for re-election. In this case, the replacement will only serve 2 years instead of the full 6 year term. But there is no law that a felony can't be a Senator. So I'm not entirely sure if he will get removed.

But besides that, I find it very uncomforting that people will vote for a convicted felony and corrupted official for political means. I hear a lot of people blaming politicians, and yet they get re-elected. Not sure what this says about Alaskan people or the public in general.

Last edited:

Yes, there was a resaon to vote for Stevens.

The way I understand it: Palin can assume Stevens' seat if she chooses. So if Stevens gets convicted (regardless of whether or not he ever spends a day behind bars) I think Palin will take his seat.

That lady is going to be POTUS, in due time.

Somehow I doubt that many voters actually thought it through like that. That requires a lot of critical thought, and logical reasoning. It's not often we see that in large voter bases.

It seems more partisan motivated to me. Almost like the thinking was "I'd rather vote for a republican felon, than a democrat".

I could be wrong though. I'd be very pleased to know that voters actually put that much thought into their vote, though.

Yes, there was a resaon to vote for Stevens.

The way I understand it: Palin can assume Stevens' seat if she chooses. So if Stevens gets convicted (regardless of whether or not he ever spends a day behind bars) I think Palin will take his seat.

That lady is going to be POTUS, in due time.

Palin scares the shit out of independent voters.

She will never be president.

Ok, either the Republican that said, "at least we don't re elect our crooks" comes forward to admit they are FULL OF SHIT or I just simply have to believe you will never be honest about anything EVER!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!! :lol:

Yeah ... Alaskans reelecting a convicted felon is going to be used as message board ammo for years to come.

Yeah ... Alaskans reelecting a convicted felon is going to be used as message board ammo for years to come.

I just remember an arrogant right winger saying that liberals re elect our criminals and they don't.

We don't hold on to things as long as the rightys do.

They still call us tax and spenders. Those were the dems of the 80's.

he was under investigation during the primary i believe. so people knew what was going on. (but my memory could be off here)

So was Jefferson in Loiusiana ,a democrat in the House. Not only did he get reelected Pelosi tried to make him head of a committee ahead of a more senior member she did not like.

Ok, either the Republican that said, "at least we don't re elect our crooks" comes forward to admit they are FULL OF SHIT or I just simply have to believe you will never be honest about anything EVER!!!!

I LOVE IT!!!! :lol:

He was not convicted in Alaska, he was convicted by a partisan court in DC. He still has appeals. Last I checked until those are done he does not in fact go to jail.

He was not convicted in Alaska, he was convicted by a partisan court in DC. He still has appeals. Last I checked until those are done he does not in fact go to jail.
correct
and if anyone thinks any republican can get a fair jury in DC they are kidding themselves

correct
and if anyone thinks any republican can get a fair jury in DC they are kidding themselves

And if any republicans thinks Ted Stevens will get a fair jury not in his favor in Alaska then they are smoking crack or using some of that meth from Alaska's many meth labs.

Forum List

Back