Alarmist Posters @ USMB and HL Mencken

Procrustes Stretched

And you say, "Oh my God, am I here all alone?"
Dec 1, 2008
Positively 4th Street
Alarmist Posters @ USMB and HL Mencken

Libertarians here and elsewhere claim to admire Henry and claim him as one of their own. What they lack is amusing. Mencken spoke about "the race of viewers-with-alarm" and this was in the context of laughing at world.

"We live in a land of abounding quackeries, and if we do not learn how to laugh we succumb to the melancholy disease which afflicts the race of viewers-with-alarm... In no other country known to me is life as safe and agreeable, taking one day with another, as it is in These States. Even in a great Depression few if any starve, and even in a great war the number who suffer by it is vastly surpassed by the number who fatten on it and enjoy it. Thus my view of my country is predominantly tolerant and amiable. I do not believe in democracy, but I am perfectly willing to admit that it provides the only really amusing form of government ever endured by mankind."

How many of the alarmist rants of today's libertarians get it?:eusa_clap:

hlmu.png

Libertarianism today suffers from the melancholy disease and alarmist imbecilities

Last edited:
Poor Oddball, he takes a defense of somebody as a proof of blind support.

Used to be fun flaming progressives...but that was when they were accusing Bush of the things people now accuse Obama of doing

people like you? dystopian alarmists with the wrong-headed notion that people were made to serve principles and not the other way around,

aren't you the Oddball Dude who it is rumored begged to be a mod on more than one site?

:laugh2:

Forum List

Back