alan grayson threatens lawsuit on citizenship grounds if ted cruz is the gop nominee

Harvard Law Review
On the Meaning of “Natural Born Citizen”

[SNIP]There are plenty of serious issues to debate in the upcoming presidential election cycle. The less time spent dealing with specious objections to candidate eligibility, the better. Fortunately, the Constitution is refreshingly clear on these eligibility issues. To serve, an individual must be at least thirty-five years old and a “natural born Citizen.” Thirty-four and a half is not enough and, for better or worse, a naturalized citizen cannot serve. But as Congress has recognized since the Founding, a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent is generally a U.S. citizen from birth with no need for naturalization. And the phrase “natural born Citizen” in the Constitution encompasses all such citizens from birth. Thus, an individual born to a U.S. citizen parent — whether in California or Canada or the Canal Zone — is a U.S. citizen from birth and is fully eligible to serve as President if the people so choose.[/SNIP]

quoting the above," the Constitution is refreshingly clear on these eligibility issues"....that is a dead giveaway that they are full of shit....for a few lines later they say CONGRESS has recognized................well why would Congress do such a thing in their scenario if the Constitution was "refreshingly clear"

the only clear way to read this is that natural born citizen has its common sense meaning and that Cruz is definitely NOT a natural born citizen.

What they are referring to regarding Congress are rules promulgated in an early Congress under the title rules of naturalization. Which shows that what children born to US citizens overseas are, are naturalized at birth.

If YOU have such a HARD ON for this topic, and since you believe everyone has standing, why don't YOU appeal his nominee status.... Nothing stopping you, is there?

I would imagine it would be quite expensive dont you? I will be rooting on Grayson however......he is doing the right thing

What?! But . . . but . . . I thought you were so outraged by it, and declaiming how no one but you cares about the Constitution, they just want to get what they want. You've been ranting and lecturing on and on about how catastrophic it is that he's "not a natural-born citizen! He shouldn't be allowed to run! AAAAAAAGH!!!"

NOW you tell us that you'll let him run and even win and hold office, rather than put your money where your mouth is. If it costs you some bucks, suddenly your principles are like, "Never mind. I hope someone else handles it."

I'm shocked and disillusioned. :eek-52:

i know, the birther thing again, doesn't seem to want to go away.

anyway republicans want sick people to die quickly. grayson is back. he is the dizzying hugo chavez of our American congress.

Alan Grayson Threatens Lawsuit on Citizenship Grounds if Ted Cruz Is the GOP Nominee - Breitbart

if you google die quickly, you get this:

COLMES: Well, his mother was born here, so I guess like Obama, though it’s interesting to me the people who had a problem with Obama, though it’s interesting to me that the people who had a problem with Obama’s birth certificate don’t have a problem with Ted Cruz who literally was born in another country and renounced his Canadian citizenry.

GRAYSON: I don’t know … the Constitution says natural-born Americans, so now we’re counting Canadians as natural born Americans? How does that work? I’m waiting for the moment that he gets the nomination and then I will file that beautiful lawsuit saying that he’s unqualified for the job because he’s ineligible.

COLMES: So you’re saying should he get the nomination, Alan Grayson will file a lawsuit against his candidacy.

GRAYSON: Absolutely! Call me crazy but I think the president of America should be an American.

COLMES: Now I wonder, does he qualify because of having an American mother can considered an American citizen and in fact he renounced his Canadian citizenship to be an American citizen, but you’re talking about American birth, but I believe if that’s one of you parents —

GRAYSON: Look, even the anchor babies are actually born here. He doesn’t even meet that qualification.

COLMES: Right. And although I don’t like the term anchor babies, it’s been embraced by people like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz — not Ted Cruz — Marco Rubio who may in fact be one, as I understand.

GRAYSON: Oh, it’s shocking. In Cruz’s case, it is obvious what happened. The Canadians got pissed off at us for acid rain, so they gave us Ted Cruz.

grayson is not considered to be one of the high intellectuals of the DC congress...
alan colmes is just plain creepy.

By the way the title of this thread is misleading, Grayson wouldnt be challenging on citizenship grounds hed be challenging on not a natural born citizen grounds.

Cruz, in addition to being a shill for Goldman-Sachs, is not eligible to be president.

i know, the birther thing again, doesn't seem to want to go away.

anyway republicans want sick people to die quickly. grayson is back. he is the dizzying hugo chavez of our American congress.

Alan Grayson Threatens Lawsuit on Citizenship Grounds if Ted Cruz Is the GOP Nominee - Breitbart

if you google die quickly, you get this:

COLMES: Well, his mother was born here, so I guess like Obama, though it’s interesting to me the people who had a problem with Obama, though it’s interesting to me that the people who had a problem with Obama’s birth certificate don’t have a problem with Ted Cruz who literally was born in another country and renounced his Canadian citizenry.

GRAYSON: I don’t know … the Constitution says natural-born Americans, so now we’re counting Canadians as natural born Americans? How does that work? I’m waiting for the moment that he gets the nomination and then I will file that beautiful lawsuit saying that he’s unqualified for the job because he’s ineligible.

COLMES: So you’re saying should he get the nomination, Alan Grayson will file a lawsuit against his candidacy.

GRAYSON: Absolutely! Call me crazy but I think the president of America should be an American.

COLMES: Now I wonder, does he qualify because of having an American mother can considered an American citizen and in fact he renounced his Canadian citizenship to be an American citizen, but you’re talking about American birth, but I believe if that’s one of you parents —

GRAYSON: Look, even the anchor babies are actually born here. He doesn’t even meet that qualification.

COLMES: Right. And although I don’t like the term anchor babies, it’s been embraced by people like Donald Trump and Ted Cruz — not Ted Cruz — Marco Rubio who may in fact be one, as I understand.

GRAYSON: Oh, it’s shocking. In Cruz’s case, it is obvious what happened. The Canadians got pissed off at us for acid rain, so they gave us Ted Cruz.

grayson is not considered to be one of the high intellectuals of the DC congress...
alan colmes is just plain creepy.

By the way the title of this thread is misleading, Grayson wouldnt be challenging on citizenship grounds hed be challenging on not a natural born citizen grounds.

Cruz, in addition to being a shill for Goldman-Sachs, is not eligible to be president.

And if you say it enough times, and spread some pixie dust, maybe your wish will come true.

I wonder why this one does not bother Mr. Grayson?

What you showed does bother Grayson. Just not in the same way it bothers you.

Besides that, he has you to go after Obama. He will probably stick to going after Canadian Ted.

You really dont need a Democrat like Grayson to fight your battles. Right?

Harvard Law Review

[SNIP]There are plenty of serious issues to debate in the upcoming presidential election cycle. The less time spent dealing with specious objections to candidate eligibility, the better. Fortunately, the Constitution is refreshingly clear on these eligibility issues. To serve, an individual must be at least thirty-five years old and a “natural born Citizen.” Thirty-four and a half is not enough and, for better or worse, a naturalized citizen cannot serve. But as Congress has recognized since the Founding, a person born abroad to a U.S. citizen parent is generally a U.S. citizen from birth with no need for naturalization. And the phrase “natural born Citizen” in the Constitution encompasses all such citizens from birth. Thus, an individual born to a U.S. citizen parent — whether in California or Canada or the Canal Zone — is a U.S. citizen from birth and is fully eligible to serve as President if the people so choose.[/SNIP]

Only an idiot Birther- like Trump

Thinks otherwise.

You really do have to question the intelligence of Iowans if they choose Cruz.......

what a hypocrite he is, I'd bet he was one questioning Obamas birth...and yet he acknowledges he was born in Canada.

and so he gets some liberal pals at Harvard to put out a statement that he is eligible....isn't Harvard where Obama ran the law review journal?

Then the Washington post?...conveniently puts out a cartoon that has the predictable effect of rallying people to Cruz.....he is an establishment shill.

Look, as much as I want Ted Cruz to run, the US Constitution says that the President must be born in the US. Otherwise, we could have an American mother giving birth to a Iranian child in Iran, and claiming "the boy is an American" just because she is/was. This could get way out of hand. Ted Cruz must step down. Our Constitution is dissolving way too fast as it is. Exponentially. If we as a nation don't follow the bedrock of our own laws, they will relax so much that we will hit a tipping point into uncontrollable anarchy. One exception leads to another, then another, then another. And before you know it, you have the Supreme Court declaring that children no longer enjoy rights to a mother and father in marriage...

...oh...wait...that already happened. Ted Cruz needs to pull out if he was born in Canada.

The video 'banned by Obama', making generic birther accusations?

Probably because the birther conspiracy is a fact free speculation fest based on desperate, willful ignorance of the mountains of evidence that utterly obliterates it. The pseudo-legal equivalent to the Flat Earth conspiracy.

Look, as much as I want Ted Cruz to run, the US Constitution says that the President must be born in the US.

Can you quote the constitution saying that? Because I've read the constitution several times. And I've never seen that passage.

Probably because the birther conspiracy is a fact free speculation fest based on desperate, willful ignorance of the mountains of evidence that utterly obliterates it. The pseudo-legal equivalent to the Flat Earth conspiracy.

You telling me the earth isn't flat? Holy crap! I best run get my beagle into the house.

You telling me the earth isn't flat? Holy crap! I best run get my beagle into the house.

I can factually debunk the Flat Earth conspiracy for you....without a beagle. I was bored one afternoon and actually took the time to come up with verifiable reasons why it doesn't work. I mean, beyond the obvious, like pictures of the earth from space.

I can factually debunk the Flat Earth conspiracy for you....without a beagle. I was bored one afternoon and actually took the time to come up with verifiable reasons why it doesn't work. I mean, beyond the obvious, like pictures of the earth from space.

Well good for you. Maybe you'll get a good grade in science class this six weeks.

Well good for you. Maybe you'll get a good grade in science class this six weeks.

Its not as obvious as you think. One of the reasons I enjoy popping conspiracies is because it requires that you get into the why and how of what you accept without question. Like, say, a round earth.

There's a reason why we recognize there's a round earth. But until I researched it, I didn't know what it was. Same thing with a heliocentric solar system.

Its not as obvious as you think. One of the reasons I enjoy popping conspiracies is because it requires that you get into the why and how of what you accept without question. Like, say, a round earth.

There's a reason why we recognize there's a round earth. But until I researched it, I didn't know what it was. Same thing with a heliocentric solar system.

Well good for you. I'm happy you are happy.

Wait, I've chatted with you before. Your tell is this 'good for you' schtick.

When you have anything relevant to add to the discussion, feel free to join us.

Wait, I've chatted with you before. Your tell is this 'good for you' schtick.

When you have anything relevant to add to the discussion, feel free to join us.

We first need to have a real discussion. I don't care to discuss a scientific fact that was known back in Biblical days.

now I see Chuck Todd of NBC is spreading dis-info......saying only a past president has standing in court on this....What?

and he offers no support for the statement except maybe for vague "legal scholars" or some such BS.....The office of president affects everyone in this country...........every citizen should have standing.

Forum List

Back