Alabama tried it and failed

The US has used migrant farm workers for many many years. And no, not all of them are undocumented. Many are US citizens.

Is there really no way to continue to support family owned and operated farms and do we really want to give up and just hand our land over to big business?

I don't.

Please watch the video and think what this means you your fellow Americans.

:night:
And farms and companies can sponsor workers to come here and work so I can see more houses around here with 20 Mexicans living in a 2 bedroom shack up house. Just down the road from me. Right now there is a trend to hire employees through TEMP AGENCIES IN MEXICO via legal means. What's the dang problem with that.

What's the problem with that? Hiring farm workers from Mexico or other countries cost more because you have to feed and house them ------- meaning LESS profit. Plus you have to corral them so they don't ESCAPE.
What is the point in going to that route --------- when they can hire illegals that are ALREADY here. They don't have to feed and house them ------ plus from their earnings they can sustain themselves instead of depending from welfare.
What's the problem with that?
The problem is getting enough workers at a wage that will allow you to make a profit when you sell your crops. The department of labor puts the percent of illegal immigrant farm workers at 53%. Growers and labor unions put that number at 70%. Even a loss of 10% of their workforce will create serious problems.

American farmers are competing globally as well as nationally. Growers in other states, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South American are growing the same crops.

Illegal immigrants benefit the U.S. economy

Agree--------- But there are fruits and vegetables that only grows here in California and there are also fruits and vegetables that only grow in Colombia.

California must be doing something good-------- Six largest economy of the world.

What Would We Eat if It Weren’t for California?

Expensive and grainy. California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on). Some of this is due to climate and soil. No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California’s output per acre. Lemon yields in California, for example, are more than 50 percent higher than in Arizona. California spinach yield per acre is 60 percent higher than the national average. Without California, supply of all these products in the United States and abroad would dip, and in the first few years, a few might be nearly impossible to find. Orchard-based products in particular, such as nuts and some fruits, would take many years to spring back.

The US has used migrant farm workers for many many years. And no, not all of them are undocumented. Many are US citizens.

Is there really no way to continue to support family owned and operated farms and do we really want to give up and just hand our land over to big business?

I don't.

And farms and companies can sponsor workers to come here and work so I can see more houses around here with 20 Mexicans living in a 2 bedroom shack up house. Just down the road from me. Right now there is a trend to hire employees through TEMP AGENCIES IN MEXICO via legal means. What's the dang problem with that.

What's the problem with that? Hiring farm workers from Mexico or other countries cost more because you have to feed and house them ------- meaning LESS profit. Plus you have to corral them so they don't ESCAPE.
What is the point in going to that route --------- when they can hire illegals that are ALREADY here. They don't have to feed and house them ------ plus from their earnings they can sustain themselves instead of depending from welfare.
The problem is getting enough workers at a wage that will allow you to make a profit when you sell your crops. The department of labor puts the percent of illegal immigrant farm workers at 53%. Growers and labor unions put that number at 70%. Even a loss of 10% of their workforce will create serious problems.

American farmers are competing globally as well as nationally. Growers in other states, Canada, Mexico, and Central and South American are growing the same crops.

Illegal immigrants benefit the U.S. economy

Agree--------- But there are fruits and vegetables that only grows here in California and there are also fruits and vegetables that only grow in Colombia.

California must be doing something good-------- Six largest economy of the world.

What Would We Eat if It Weren’t for California?

Expensive and grainy. California produces a sizable majority of many American fruits, vegetables, and nuts: 99 percent of artichokes, 99 percent of walnuts, 97 percent of kiwis, 97 percent of plums, 95 percent of celery, 95 percent of garlic, 89 percent of cauliflower, 71 percent of spinach, and 69 percent of carrots (and the list goes on and on). Some of this is due to climate and soil. No other state, or even a combination of states, can match California’s output per acre. Lemon yields in California, for example, are more than 50 percent higher than in Arizona. California spinach yield per acre is 60 percent higher than the national average. Without California, supply of all these products in the United States and abroad would dip, and in the first few years, a few might be nearly impossible to find. Orchard-based products in particular, such as nuts and some fruits, would take many years to spring back.
Almost all of our major crops of fruits and vegetable are grown all over Central and South America and elsewhere. The cost of importing them sets a ceiling on what the US grower can pay for labor. What this means is if you have to pay Americans $20 or $25/hr to pick fruits and vegetable in 100+ temperatures instead migrant workers whose average pay is $12/hr in California but as low as the federal minimum wage elsewhere, the crops will rot in field because foreign producers will be selling at a lower price.

Last edited:

I don't.

Key word. ILLEGAL. Which part of that don't you understand?

My other point is that there are LEGAL ways to hire the farmers but the Gov't fails at approving the workers in a timely manner.

So, in a Nut shell, WE PUNISH those farmers who try to hire within the framework of the LAW. They pay the fees, submit the documents and then the 30 promise of the Gov't doesn't pan out. Their fruit rots.......and they are doing thing by the LAW.

Which part sounds right..........punishing those trying to stay legal or those who ignore the law and just hire illegals anyways..............failed system and failed Gov't that doesn't uniformly follow it's own laws.

I don't.

My other point is that there are LEGAL ways to hire the farmers but the Gov't fails at approving the workers in a timely manner.

So, in a Nut shell, WE PUNISH those farmers who try to hire within the framework of the LAW. They pay the fees, submit the documents and then the 30 promise of the Gov't doesn't pan out. Their fruit rots.......and they are doing thing by the LAW.

Which part sounds right..........punishing those trying to stay legal or those who ignore the law and just hire illegals anyways..............failed system and failed Gov't that doesn't uniformly follow it's own laws.

I was answering your question then you asked me ------- If I understand about illegals.
It's not about understanding illegals/legal. I'm simply talking about reality and facts.
Farmers and other enterprises that uses these illegals are simply using what is available in front of them.
ALL farmers let me repeat ------- ALL farmers will and follow the law if its possible but 1. they cannot find enough Americans workers. 2. hiring foreign workers cost more and risky. Period.

Here's a good example.
One kind of drought ends for California farms, but another — of immigrants to work in the fields — now looms

I don't.

I was answering your question then you asked me ------- If I understand about illegals.
It's not about understanding illegals/legal. I'm simply talking about reality and facts.
Farmers and other enterprises that uses these illegals are simply using what is available in front of them.
ALL farmers let me repeat ------- ALL farmers will and follow the law if its possible but 1. they cannot find enough Americans workers. 2. hiring foreign workers cost more and risky. Period.

Here's a good example.
One kind of drought ends for California farms, but another — of immigrants to work in the fields — now looms
I posted a thread showing 20 states having similar problems. And pointed out that those trying to do it legally aren't getting the workers they need, do to the Gov't not doing it's job. So the ones doing illegally get to do it cheaper do it for less money, and do it against the law.

For far too long we have ignored the law to a point where those that obey it get screwed. This is plain and simply wrong. And the Gov't and Congress need to fix this crap. Alabama isn't doing anything illegal..........they are pushing to do the process legally in a country of laws who ignore the laws if it suits them.. There is no defense for this incompetence.

I don't.

Get a job

No.

[emoji849]

Sent from my iPad using USMessageBoard.com

I don't.

Here's a good example.
I posted a thread showing 20 states having similar problems. And pointed out that those trying to do it legally aren't getting the workers they need, do to the Gov't not doing it's job. So the ones doing illegally get to do it cheaper do it for less money, and do it against the law.

For far too long we have ignored the law to a point where those that obey it get screwed. This is plain and simply wrong. And the Gov't and Congress need to fix this crap. Alabama isn't doing anything illegal..........they are pushing to do the process legally in a country of laws who ignore the laws if it suits them.. There is no defense for this incompetence.

This is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

Not only that, it's not just produce and just Mexican workers. There are many other countries and products involved.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this blind hatred is doing more harm to Americans than to other countries.

About a week ago, I spoke with a good friend who, along with some family members, came illegally from Mexico. I asked if two other family members were also planning to come her. He said no, because they can do much better there and not have to leave their home.

It's a shame the blind haters are so unwilling to look at thus issue in its entirety.

Here's a good example.

This is not as simple as you seem to think it is.

Not only that, it's not just produce and just Mexican workers. There are many other countries and products involved.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this blind hatred is doing more harm to Americans than to other countries.

About a week ago, I spoke with a good friend who, along with some family members, came illegally from Mexico. I asked if two other family members were also planning to come her. He said no, because they can do much better there and not have to leave their home.

It's a shame the blind haters are so unwilling to look at thus issue in its entirety.

ong with some family members, came illegally from Mexico

Well no surprise there..

I don't.

Here's a good example.

Pay them a fair share and you can find American workers

I don't.

Here's a good example.

Pay them a fair share and you can find American workers

What and how much is fare share? And how long do you think these people will last?
Hiring people like to you is a high flight risk. What happened if someone just walked out during planting or harvesting?
Remember whiteys will be treated differently. Probably wants a smoke breaks and shades, shoes and uniform so you don't ruin your Walmart shoes and shirts, insurance just incase you hurt your back. See the difference?

Last edited:

I don't.

Here's a good example.

Maybe set aside the hatred------- you will understand the facts and reality of life.

Forum List

Back