Alabama teacher salaries worth less than a decade ago

TheMoreYouKnow

Silver Member
Dec 14, 2017
The value of Alabama's teacher salaries has been eroding for many years and is now worth less than it was a decade ago, an AL.com analysis shows.

And while lawmakers agreed to fund a 2.5 percent pay raise next year, the looming question is whether it will be enough to stave off the growing angst over low pay and challenging working conditions of teachers in Alabama.

Amy Marlowe is the assistant chief of member advocacy and outreach for the Alabama Education Association. Marlowe said while teachers appreciate the small pay raise, she doesn't think it will be enough for teachers who are suffering from not only low wages but also low morale after many years of bludgeoning from lawmakers and the public.

"I think teachers are a sleeping giant right now," Marlowe said. If it had not been for assurances from lawmakers that there will be another raise next year, she said, "I think we would have had a hard time containing them."

Oh Boy, those tax breaks are really working in FilthyDonLand
! :113:

The worst of this is that these same teachers then pay for supplies for their classroom and/or their students.

The very same people who refuse to pay to educate their kids also expect the teachers to pay to educate their kids.

You know who you are and you know you vote for rabid RWs.

• Banned
Obviously Alabama chooses to use property taxes other than on education and healthcare. Not good.:114:

Schools are turning out functional illiterates. Why pay for that?

Guess I'll be called a "racist" for bringing this up, but Alabama is 25% black, which is twice the national average.

Alabama is also a non-union state, so teachers are paid on the basis of their performance. If like Miketx said, "schools are turning out functional illiterates", it's no mystery why Alabama teacher's salaries are so low.

Republicans think education makes you vote Democrat.

They are having none of it.

Schools are turning out functional illiterates. Why pay for that?

Now THAT is the dumbest thing I've read in a while.

Instead of improving education, just don't pay anything for it.

Its no wonder that other countries are leaving us in the dust.

Guess I'll be called a "racist" for bringing this up, but Alabama is 25% black, which is twice the national average.

Alabama is also a non-union state, so teachers are paid on the basis of their performance. If like Miketx said, "schools are turning out functional illiterates", it's no mystery why Alabama teacher's salaries are so low.

Not just racist but stupid as well.

It doesn't matter what color you are. The US does not educate our own people We do not invest in our own country. We send jobs to other countries and, thanks to brainless RWNJs (like trump) the only jobs we are not training for is sweeping the floor. Even burger flipping is too skilled for the likes of miketx and you.

Skilled and high tech jobs are going to other countries. This is why its so important that we keep guest workers out. The 1% owners (yep, that's right.) need uneducated idiots in places like Texass, Alabama to do the shit work that undocumented used to do.

The Department of Education should be abolished. Since it became a cabinet level position in the late 70's by Jimmy Carter (WORST PRESIDENT IN HISTORY EVEN INCLUDING OBAMA) the test scores of American school children have been falling. Originally it was opposed by the GOP but spineless Republicans and RINOs quickly turned and fell in step with the left and increased funding. The DoED should be abolished, public schools shut down, and all education should be done at the local community level. That's how to fix it.

Sent from my SM-S975L using Tapatalk

It doesn't matter what color you are. The US does not educate our own people We do not invest in our own country. We send jobs to other countries and, thanks to brainless RWNJs (like trump) the only jobs we are not training for is sweeping the floor. Even burger flipping is too skilled for the likes of miketx and you.

Skilled and high tech jobs are going to other countries. This is why its so important that we keep guest workers out. The 1% owners (yep, that's right.) need uneducated idiots in places like Texass, Alabama to do the shit work that undocumented used to do.

You're an idiot. Some people just cannot be educated, no matter what. There's nothing wrong the American educational system, except that it is being used to crank out more mindless left-wing drones such as yourself. We also do not send jobs to other countries, you can thank labor unions for that.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

You're an idiot. Some people just cannot be educated, no matter what. There's nothing wrong the American educational system, except that it is being used to crank out more mindless left-wing drones such as yourself. We also do not send jobs to other countries, you can thank labor unions for that.

"Some people".

One thing I've learned is that ^^RWNJ kkk, alt right, nazi fascists^^ cannot be educated.

We also do not send jobs to other countries, you can thank labor unions for that.

Yeah, because the last thing workers need is decent wages.

Want decent wages? Then do a good job.

That's the way it works. I'm sorry that "life ain't fair" but whomever told you otherwise, was just pissing on your leg.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.

Well. There it is.

The best of Texass wit.

Sheesh.

Apparetly, JGalt and you are correct that some of you simply cannot be educated but let's get back to tyhe topic.

Why should others pay to babysit your slack jawed knuckle draggers? Either pay to educate them or pay to home school aka babysit them.

IOW, stop demanding that blue states pay your way.

"Some people".

One thing I've learned is that ^^RWNJ kkk, alt right, nazi fascists^^ cannot be educated.

Actually, we refuse to be be "indoctrinated" into the fold of mindless Kool Aid-drinking morons such as yourself. That's because we've learned how to think for ourselves, as opposed to stupidly playing along with the great unwashed horde of useful idiots.

You should try it sometime. It's the closest thing to being a free person that you can achieve.

Forum List

Back