Alabama Storms took my Mother and Aunt - Updated

A week or so later and we are at complete peace with Mom and Aunt Alice. I have no idea how, but I spoke at their service and got everyone to laugh, only choking up when I told everyone how proud I am to be a part of that family. It was a truly beautiful service, and I know they were laughing right along with us.

Now all that is left is choking the life out of a couple of lawyers over the next year or so :)

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts, prayers, and rep :) Please accept my preemptive apology if I do not send a thank you for the rep, but there were a lot of points given and I've got to meet another lawyer every 15 minutes (I think that was in the Will?)

We are truly fine, though we miss them terribly. For the Christians, we are reminded that God is great every day. For those who are not "religious," whatever power that rules, or "the spirit world" is a richer entity now, because we know they are still with us. We, and they, are at peace.

PLEASE continue to pray and send support to the people in North Alabama and elsewhere. They are continuing to recover, and can use all the help they can get. The outpouring has been monumental and huge, but the area was completely devastated. Tuscaloosa was hit so hard that the University of Alabama cancelled all classes, exams, and graduation for the remainder of the year as so many students were lost or left with nowhere to live. They will recover, and the Tide will Roll again, but Tuscaloosa and Birmingham need all the help we can send.

Thanks to you all!

after all this has settled down.....come on up and go fishing....

You may regret saying that :)

you are welcome anytime....

let us not forget that the south is trying to recover and needs help with that recovery.....
let us hope the floods are not as bad as predicted

mostly let us realize that we are all in this together...f4 and 5's dont care about race, class, education or anything other petty thing....its death moving....same came be said with walls of water....no distinction in the killing

When I die give what's left of me away to children and old men that wait to die.
And if you cry,
cry for your brother walking the street beside you.
And when you need me, put your arms around anyone
and give them what you need to give me.

I want to leave you something,
something better than words or sounds.
Look for me in the people I've known or loved,
and if you cannot give me away
at least let me live in your eyes and not in your mind.

You can love me best by letting hands touch hands,
and by letting go of children that need to be free.
Love doesn't die, people do.
So when all that's left of me is love,
give me away.

Deepest condolences to you, your family, and all their friends and loved ones, Mini, for the loss of your mother and your aunt.

I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

Sometimes God's love hurts deeply, but that's how I know it is true love.

That's terrible news. My deepest condolences.

I am so sorry.

When I die give what's left of me away to children and old men that wait to die.
And if you cry,
cry for your brother walking the street beside you.
And when you need me, put your arms around anyone
and give them what you need to give me.

I want to leave you something,
something better than words or sounds.
Look for me in the people I've known or loved,
and if you cannot give me away
at least let me live in your eyes and not in your mind.

You can love me best by letting hands touch hands,
and by letting go of children that need to be free.
Love doesn't die, people do.
So when all that's left of me is love,
give me away.

That's really nice... Did you write that?

Welcome back Mini and I sincerely hope all is well with your family. Those tornado's affected thousands of lives but your post made it clear how personal these tragedies can be

Not knowing sucks worse than knowing.

Yes, it certainly does, Gunny. Is there someone you're looking for? Maybe I can do some legwork for you or a friend? Just say the word and I'll do all I can, or call the folks who know how :)

Mini, I just noticed this thread. I am so very sorry to hear of your loss. We have family in Alabama as well, but fortunately, all are OK (unlike so many there). Our thoughts and prayers continue to go out to all affected, and especially to you and your family, and all others who lost loved ones on that tragic day. May God continue to bless and strengthen you and yours in this difficult time.

I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

Sometimes God's love hurts deeply, but that's how I know it is true love.
You have my deepest condolences. I pray that God is able to salvage some good out of such a heart wrenching tragedy.

Just seeing this. awww mini I always felt a bond with you, b/c of us being around the same area, and being big bama fans.

I don't know what to say. There is still so much devastation.

I am just so sorry for your loss. :(:(

I'm so sorry as well.
I live in Tennessee, and the area I live in, was hit the hardest, but I was very lucky.
I only lost a couple of trees and the power was down for a couple of hours---the worst tornadoes were just 6 miles down the highway from me~
Scary stuff!!
We lost 34 people here, but I know Alabama was the worst hit.
I am again so sorry......you will be in my thoughts and prayers!

Hello again everyone! We're still doing fine, and have now turned our attention to helping those who are still trying to recover. For those that don't know, the storms in Alabama on the 27th took my Mother and Aunt, and though we miss them terribly, we are at peace with their passing (my Mother was a true "party on wheels" and we were very close. That has helped ease the loss a lot).

Many wonderful things have come out of the disaster, most notably, the outpouring of support an aid from all of our neighbors and friends. I wanted to share this story about my Mother's Driver's License, and the woman who found it 124 miles away, as the "tone" of it is the most accurate of where we all are in the days since the storms.

We are fine, honestly (GREAT friends who rallied immediately) but there are so many here who are still trying to recover. If you pray, pray for them. If you don't pray, think of them. And if you can help them, please do. Good people, (popular opinion not withstanding, most of us in Alabama actually CAN read!) who still need help and encouragement. Tuscaloosa and Hackleburg are still devastated, and we are heading to Eclectic later this morning to help some folks sift through what is left of their homes.

Article on my Mom's drivers license:
http://www.times-herald.com/local/Storm-carried-ID-100-plus-miles

And an article from my best friend on the night the storms hit:
http://www.earlb.com/blog/2011/05/alabama-tornado-disaster-hits-close-home/

I don't post these to seek sympathy, (as I've said, we really are doing well, and in a much better position than most, thanks to our friends), but to show the level of destruction, the outpouring of support and encouragement, and the "random acts of kindness" that we've all seen since the storms. Don't worry about us, we really are fine...PLEASE spend that energy on those who are still digging out.

Once the lawyers, accountants, and insurance companies have spit me out, I'll be back to talk about politics, and be the general jackass that I am on the Internet. Sorry about that, Gunny :)

Last edited:
Neither link works, Mini.
I am so glad to hear you are doing better. My thoughts and prayers to your friends, neighbors and all those who suffered during this time.

Well, maybe I'm not doing as well as I thought? :)

Thanks Grace! They should work now :)

Well, maybe I'm not doing as well as I thought? :)

Thanks Grace! They should work now :)

What a great article about your mom, Mini. I'm so glad the license was found and someone took the time to give it back to you.

That's great news that things are steadily going in the right direction, I wish you all the best!
What a pleasant story about the license, made me smile.....there are many good things that still happen :)

Forum List

Back