Alabama Storms took my Mother and Aunt - Updated

Oh Mini. Your updates and the news stories are such poignant and bittersweet testimonies to the faith, resilence, and confidence of you, your friends, neighbors, and people in general. Such tragedy does indeed usually bring out the best in humankind and kindness and goodness will win out. Your witness is an inspiration to us all.

I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

Sometimes God's love hurts deeply, but that's how I know it is true love.

So sad.
My sincere sympathy.

Try to remember all the good times and take comfort in them.

I've never spoken to you but my heart aches deeply for your loss. I too lost my mother but this isn't about me. May God bless and heal your shattered heart.. may he comfort you in the dark days ahead.. I bought several books on a daughter losing a mother and I also joined a Yahoo grief list.. Be good to yourself.. cry, talk about her when you can.. and know, there are so many people praying for you, who care. Again, I am so so sorry.

-Kat

OMG,,, That is truly tragic, I'm soooooo sorry for your loss. Many prayers go out to you from me!!

I'm fairly new here Mini, but...

May God bless you and keep you.
The stories are phenomenal...tragic and uplifting.
I hope that time will bring cherished memories to take the place
of your present sorrow.

Forum List

Back