Alabama Storms took my Mother and Aunt - Updated

Mini 14

Jun 6, 2010
I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

Sometimes God's love hurts deeply, but that's how I know it is true love.

I have not been posting lately, and may not again soon, but I wanted to pass along some sad news for those who can see through my acerbic board persona to the human being living inside (maybe just strollingbones, uscitizen, madeline, and a couple of others?)

The Southernmost storm that ripped through Lake Martin, Eclectic, and Dadeville, Alabama on Wednesday night took direct aim at the family cabin on Lake Martin. I was on the road about 3 hours away when I saw the storm building on radar at around 8:30. I called my mother and her sister (both in their 70's) to inform them they needed to get in the center of the house until the storm had passed. I told them I loved them, and to call me as soon as the storm had passed.

We recovered mom's body around 3am Thursday morning, and finally located my aunt's body beneath the rubble of what once was the 100 year old cabin around 10 the next day. Everything was a total loss, but I find solace in the fact that they went out together, in the place they loved most, in an instant with no suffering.

God has surrounded me with friends and family, and I am confident the two 70 year-old women are 6 again, and playing in the yard in heaven....maybe flirting with their husbands again, and smiling down on all of us, waiting patiently to see us again.

I have relatives down there too. I haven't heard from them yet.

I'm sorry for your loss.

Just remember one thing, God does not have dominion over the Earth.

o mini...there is no good age to become an orphan...i am so sorry for the death of your family members....the board thought we had all made it thru yesterday....now we know we didnt all make it...thank you for taking the time to tell us...

the headline with the death count is no longer a cold and impersonal number...again i am so sorry

Mini 14, I am so very sorry for your loss, my condolences. There is so little to say other than you and yours will be in my prayers. I wish you peace.

Sorry for your loss.

Mini

I am so sorry for your loss. You watch the news on TV and see smashed homes and stores and piles of rubble. You lose track of the fact that this is peoples lives and that those structures were occupied. My thoughts are with you and all the people of Alabama who were affected

Prayers to you and your family.

No other words right now hon,,,,we are here for you if you need us.

Sorry to hear of the loss of your family members...

... from the footage shown on Tv there are many in the South who are going through the experience of loss of loved ones...

... this has been a terrible event and more than a few towns will be many years in recovery.
:(

Forum List

Back