Alabama (officially) picks up where it left off

Modbert

Daydream Believer
Sep 2, 2008
Alabama (officially) picks up where it left off - Dr. Saturday - NCAAF - Yahoo! Sports

Venerable and relevant though it may be in the actual BCS process, the preseason Coaches' poll is ultimately no more informed than any of the many, many other polls out there this summer. There's persuasive evidence, in fact, that the coaches are considerably less plugged into the national landscape than writers and pundits who have the time and inclination to actually care about more than one team on any given weekend. But in 2010, it doesn't take an obsessed, objective stat head to come up with Alabama as the preseason chalk: Just like everybody else, the initial Coaches' poll is tapping the Tide to pick up where it left off last year, at No. 1.

The "mid-major" conferences garnered significantly more preseason respect last year than ever before with a record four teams – Boise State, TCU, Utah and BYU – in the top initial top 25 (all four of which finished there, too, for the second year in a row).

In the conference standings, the SEC has the most teams in the entire poll with six (Alabama, Florida, LSU, Arkansas, Georgia and Auburn), but the wealth is pretty evenly distributed:

I'm sure this will make you happier Crimson. :lol:

This makes me smile, but I'm not holding my breath for a repeat. BAMA has a long road ahead. We lost some experience on defense. We play 6 SEC teams coming off of bye weeks and the SEC ain't easy to play in anyway. Arkansas could actually win the west, because I see us losing to them on the road. We will lose at least 2 games this year. We will have a good year, but we won't repeat.

This makes me smile, but I'm not holding my breath for a repeat. BAMA has a long road ahead. We lost some experience on defense. We play 6 SEC teams coming off of bye weeks and the SEC ain't easy to play in anyway. Arkansas could actually win the west, because I see us losing to them on the road. We will lose at least 2 games this year. We will have a good year, but we won't repeat.

You are probably right, but it is a nice thought. I was hearing today that we have a chance to quickly rebuild the D from the 3 big ones we lost..in our first 3 games before we hit the SEC.
Repeats are hard...just ask Florida..but if anyone can pull it off it would be Saban.

You are probably right, but it is a nice thought. I was hearing today that we have a chance to quickly rebuild the D from the 3 big ones we lost..in our first 3 games before we hit the SEC.
Repeats are hard...just ask Florida..but if anyone can pull it off it would be Saban.

We are going to be fine on defense. We just are not going to dominate.

We are going to be fine on defense. We just are not going to dominate.

I wanna though!! :lol:

You know...if it weren't for the offense..we would have lost a couple last year...Auburn and Tennessee...

As a Razorback I can say I always appreciate your fans. They're not prone to acting like the white trash down at LSU or Mississippi State. I'm also to the point I don't care who wins as long as it's not FLORIDUH or LSU.

Arkansas could actually win the west.

As much as I would love for this to happen, we don't match up. Your offense is too much for our defense, and I doubt our offense is enough to overpower your defense. It will be a great game, though. If we DID win, well...I'd be riding a high for the rest of the season. Honestly, Alabama is the only game I'm marking down as a definite loss. There are other possibilities, but I'm predicting 10-2 for us this year. Anything less than 9-3 is unacceptable.

As much as I would love for this to happen, we don't match up. Your offense is too much for our defense, and I doubt our offense is enough to overpower your defense. It will be a great game, though. If we DID win, well...I'd be riding a high for the rest of the season. Honestly, Alabama is the only game I'm marking down as a definite loss. There are other possibilities, but I'm predicting 10-2 for us this year. Anything less than 9-3 is unacceptable.

I know BAMA is going to be formidable and if we lose a game early, we could still get back to the top, but we are vulnerable. Arkansas and LSU on the road scare the hell out of me. We play LSU on the road with LSU coming off of a bye week, late in the season. That could spell disaster for us.

The game I'm looking forward to is week 2. Penn State at home. Joe Pa at Bryant-Denny and I am going to miss it.

I know BAMA is going to be formidable and if we lose a game early, we could still get back to the top, but we are vulnerable. Arkansas and LSU on the road scare the hell out of me. We play LSU on the road with LSU coming off of a bye week, late in the season. That could spell disaster for us.

The game I'm looking forward to is week 2. Penn State at home. Joe Pa at Bryant-Denny and I am going to miss it.

I'd be disappointed if you guys lost that one, for two reasons:

1. SEC teams are only allowed to lose to other SEC teams, unless they are Vanderbilt and then they typically lose to everyone.

2. I want you guys to be #1 when we play you. We almost knocked off #1 Florida last year (and we should have...fucking refs). This year, we want a crack at #1 Alabama. :)

LSU doesn't scare me at all. Miles is an imbecile. He only won championships because of Saban's recruits. He has proven himself inadequate in a number of ways. Plus, they don't have very many noteworthy returning players. I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 4th in the West (Alabama, Arkansas, Auburn, LSU, Miss State, Ole Miss).

FloriDUH is a curse. But so is Georgia. We could be up 60 zip on FloriDUH and still find a way to lose. We left points all over that field last year refs or not.

We could be up 60 zip on FloriDUH and still find a way to lose. We left points all over that field last year refs or not.

Yeah, I agree. But still, it's one thing to lose because you simply didn't play well enough. It's another to lose because the refs don't know how to do their fucking jobs fairly. Last year, it was a case of both.

I think people will be surprised by how good we/arkansas will be this year. It seems since we joined the sec that the home team wins most of the time in the ark/bama series. We play UGA in athens before you guys come to town and I think we may lose that game and come back even more focused for the bama game. I think if both teams are undefeated come gameday then espn gameday may be in fayetteville for the game.

I think if both teams are undefeated come gameday then espn gameday may be in fayetteville for the game.

Definitely. Which is great, because the one game I'll have time to go to this year is the one that is going to be the biggest headache to get to/from. If both teams go in undefeated, this game will have major national championship implications. ESPN will definitely be here.

I think if both teams are undefeated come gameday then espn gameday may be in fayetteville for the game.

Definitely. Which is great, because the one game I'll have time to go to this year is the one that is going to be the biggest headache to get to/from. If both teams go in undefeated, this game will have major national championship implications. ESPN will definitely be here.

Agreed but since I brought it up then I have jinxed us. I think we are going to have a very hard time in athens. That is probably going to be one of the toughest games of the year.

Forum List

Back