Alabama, Mississippi?

Looks like we are definitely headed for a brokered convention. Mitt just can't run away with it.

McCain lost the Mississippi and Alabama Republican primaries, too.

Good thing he went on to win the presidency, or else a correlation might be inferred between a moderate losing here and losing the general election against Obama.

Last edited:
Brokered convention or DISCUSSION?

To that detail I am unfamiliar with the procedure. Does the Convention need to be publicly announced as brokered or open or can that be decided upon once they are there?

Just watch the first vote. If no one has a majority, it's brokered. I hope not, since that might bring in a last minute nonplayer, like Jeb or Christie. I would, however, enjoy seeing it go down to the wire, with all these goofballs spending their money bashing each other.

I don't think Jeb or Christie want any part of this election. They realize it's a losing battle; better to wait for 2016.

To that detail I am unfamiliar with the procedure. Does the Convention need to be publicly announced as brokered or open or can that be decided upon once they are there?

Just watch the first vote. If no one has a majority, it's brokered. I hope not, since that might bring in a last minute nonplayer, like Jeb or Christie. I would, however, enjoy seeing it go down to the wire, with all these goofballs spending their money bashing each other.

I don't think Jeb or Christie want any part of this election. They realize it's a losing battle; better to wait for 2016.

I used to think that Jindal, Jev, Rubio, Pawlenty, Christie, et. all sat out thinking Obama would be tougher to beat than they thought. I don't now. I think they all wanted to wait to see what an election post United would look like.

Romney isn't substantially richer in 2012 than he was in 2008. The big difference is that in 2008 thanks to a lot of restrictions United eliminated he literally couldn't spend money fast enough to beat McCain. In 2012 he's been crushing Newt and Santorum using a whole lot of crazy tools he has available post United.

To use an analogy: if campaign money is like bullets. In 2008 Romney had more than enough bullets to win, he just couldn't shoot fast enough. In 2012 he can chain link fire on automatic.

Romney wins tonight no matter what happens in Mississippi or Alabama. He will be taking home at least 30-35% of the delegates.

Here is the math. Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, California, New York, New Jersey, Utah- are winner take all states- he has huge leads in all of those states. Romney needs to win less than a third of the rest and he has enough to win the nomination. Sorry Romney haters...

Okay, guy, but you see, "It's the Math" isn't really a convincing slogan.

If those states weren't "winner take all", Romney wouldn't be anywhere near 1144 in June. And he still might not be.

The fact that the "Not Romneys" are still getting 50%+ of the vote at this point shows what a weak candidate Romney is.

Romney wins tonight no matter what happens in Mississippi or Alabama. He will be taking home at least 30-35% of the delegates.

Here is the math. Connecticut, Maryland, Delaware, California, New York, New Jersey, Utah- are winner take all states- he has huge leads in all of those states. Romney needs to win less than a third of the rest and he has enough to win the nomination. Sorry Romney haters...

Yes, Romney does well in the liberal states...he's right at home there.

Better get used to him, he's most likely going to be the next president.

Nope, sorry, man, you're delusional.

Couldn't beat McCain. Couldn't beat Ted the Drunk. Is having a hard time with Santorum, even with the GOP rigging the contests his way.

You work on the assumption that all of the folks voting for the "Not Romneys" are going to happily get on the bandwagon. A lot of us just won't.

And I have yet to hear a single person who supported Obama in 2008 tell me, "I can't wait to vote for Romney."

With 99 percent of the vote counted in Alabama, Santorum had 35 percent; Gingrich, 29 percent; Romney, 29 percent; and Ron Paul, 5 percent.
In Mississippi, with 99 percent of the vote counted, Santorum had 33 percent; Gingrich, 31 percent; Romney, 30 percent; and Paul, 4 percent.
Evangelical voters played an outsized role in both states.

The DEEP SOUTH evangelists have spoken.​

They've chosen an extremist Roman Cathloic from Pennsylvania.​

Those of us who are old enough to remember the pre-civil rights South must realize how bizarre that outcome really is.​

You kids might not understand why we are shocked, but there was a time when being Roman Catholic in the Deep South or being a YANKEE in the deep South meant you were a second class citizen.

Politics truly does make strange bedfellows, doesn't it?

With 99 percent of the vote counted in Alabama, Santorum had 35 percent; Gingrich, 29 percent; Romney, 29 percent; and Ron Paul, 5 percent.
In Mississippi, with 99 percent of the vote counted, Santorum had 33 percent; Gingrich, 31 percent; Romney, 30 percent; and Paul, 4 percent.

The DEEP SOUTH evangelists have spoken.

They've chosen an extremist Roman Cathloic from Pennsylvania.

Those of us who are old enough to remember the pre-civil rights South must realize how bizarre that out come really is.

You kids might understand why we are shocked, of course, but there was a time when being Roman Catholic in the Deep South or being a YANKEE in the deep South meant you were a second class citizen.

Policitc truly does make strange bedfellows, doesn't it?

The Republican Party used to be the "anti-Mormon" party. In 1956, it's platform was to end the "Twin relics of Barbarism, Polygamy and Slavery"

You kids might not understand why we are shocked, but there was a time when being Roman Catholic in the Deep South or being a YANKEE in the deep South meant you were a second class citizen.
Being LDS may have had some impact in Alabama & Mississippi; Romney took Hawaii & American Samoa. At the end of the night, who had more delegates? I have read there are 11 still to be decided, at this point Romney & Santorum were close to a tie in the four contests. Will Gingrich voters go for Santorum? Still not a big question until Newt decides to pack it in, if he does. But Newt's SOUTHERN STRATEGY has not worked.

The DEEP SOUTH evangelists have spoken.​

They've chosen an extremist Roman Cathloic from Pennsylvania.​

Those of us who are old enough to remember the pre-civil rights South must realize how bizarre that outcome really is.​

Politics truly does make strange bedfellows, doesn't it?

Congrats to Santorum and Obama. Win-win for both of them. :cool:

The radio stations I have been listening to this morning are all asking people if Palin should get in and many calling in are saying she has more guts than Romney and Santorum and that a state senator believes she has been working a behind the scenes strategy like she knew Romney would be a weak candidate.

Last edited:
Santorum plays well in the south and in swing states like Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Carolina's...possibly Florida.

The radio stations I have been listening to this morning are all asking people if Palin should get in and many calling in are saying she has more guts than Romney and Santorum and that a state senator believes she has been working a behind the scenes strategy like she knew Romney would be a weak candidate.

That's truly nuts. If the Reps want out of this dilemma of probably losing to somebody unpopular with so many people, they have to draft someone like Jeb Bush. NO, Jeb Bush, no other Rep has the name recognition or popularity with independents to have a chance.

Depending on how the south continues to go I forsee much discussion at the Convention in August.

no matter what happens now, i don't think romney can get to the number of delegates he needs to shut it down.

the republican party has a runaway "base".

i'm guessing the party 'leadership' (if there still is any) is knowing how dr frankenstein felt.

Last edited:

palin isn't getting in, palinista.

and the rightwingnuts say it's the left that's obsessed with her??? :rofl:

Santorum plays well in the south and in swing states like Colorado, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Carolina's...possibly Florida.

romney will win florida. you have all the retirees down there who don't give a rat's patoot about birth control but care about how their dollars are managed.

you also have a lower percentage of evangelicals there.

80% of republicans who voted for him in alabama were evangelicals... more than 70% in mississippi. you have a very different demographic in florida, imo.

also, the over $100,000 a year crowd and people with more than a high school education don't vote santorum. they go for newt or romney.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back