Alabama chief justice faces ethics charges

jimnyc

Aug 28, 2003
New York
MONTGOMERY, Alabama (CNN) -- At a trial that could result in his ouster, Alabama Chief Justice Roy Moore told an ethics board Wednesday his state oath of office required him to defy a federal judge's order to move his stone Ten Commandments monument from the state judicial building.

"I would do everything I've done again," Moore told the Alabama Court of the Judiciary. "I stand by what I've done."

The judicial ethics panel, which will decide Moore's fate, said it would reconvene at 11 a.m. Thursday (12 p.m. EST) to issue a decision.

Alabama Attorney General Bill Pryor has asked the Court of the Judiciary to remove Moore from office for his defiance. The nine-member court, which includes judges, lawyers and non-lawyers, also could reprimand Moore, continue his suspension or clear him.

http://www.cnn.com/2003/LAW/11/12/moore.tencommandments/index.html

Yes, very sad indeed.

Meanwhile there are corrupt judges gaining power and the one who stands up for the law and the beliefs they were founded upon gets removed.

They should make miniature versions and prop them up everywhere the eye can see in Alabama.

Removal may have been a bit much. While I opposed his actions, I must admit I most likely would have done the same, civil disobedience and all that. Tho he was in a special position of upholding the laws rather than merely an ordinary citizen which may have had influence on the response to his refusal to obey the edict of the higher court. I would think a censure of some sort would have been more appropriate than removal from my view from outside the conflict.

Forum List

Back