Ala Brian Williams, 9 Arguments of Libs

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Friday, July 01, 2005

Why Brian Williams you might ask? http://msnbc.msn.com/id/8045532/

And on this busy day I'm compelled to throw in a personal note of my own... it's about a question I asked Andrea Mitchell on Nightly News last night. Coming out of the story alleging that Iran's President-elect may have been among those who kept 52 Americans hostage for 444 days in Tehran, I asked Andrea the following question:

"What would it all matter if proven true? Someone brought up today: The first several U.S. presidents were certainly revolutionaries... and might have been called "terrorists" at the time by the BRITISH CROWN, after all..."​

Today, apparently, on some radio talk shows and blogs, my friends in the media have accused me of labeling George Washington a terrorist. They apparently missed my point:
That the BRITISH CROWN might have viewed American revolutionaries that way.
My question — and specifically the line, "what would it all matter..." was meant to address the popular support within Iran for those who acted against the U.S. and are now in positions of power. Those of you who are regular readers of our blog know we spoke about this very issue yesterday in our afternoon editorial meeting.

All I ask is that people re-read what was said on the air. I've talked to several viewers today, and one conversation I actually enjoyed was with a woman from Virginia, who said, "These days, you just can't use the word TERRORIST for anything but a TERRORIST." And I take this nice woman's point about the power of words in our current climate.

While I insist that a re-reading of my question will prove that in no way was I calling the framers "terrorists" (for starters, the word did not exist 229 years ago), I regret that anyone thought that after a life spent reading and loving American history, I had suddenly changed my mind about the founders of our nation.

http://www.proteinwisdom.com/index.php/weblog/entry/18608/#comments

9 OTHER analogies NBC'S Brian Williams would like us to consider in the name of showy, PC intellectualism*

1. Is cutting off the head of a civilian contractor on videotape really all that different from the Republican practice of cutting off the funding to social programs that benefit the poor?
2. The Iraqi freedom fighters routinely kill their enemies and dump their bodies into shallow graves—just as our very own freedom fighters once dumped tea into the Boston harbor!
3. Sure, hardcore Muslims beat women and engage in both honor killings and forcible female circumcision; but let’s not forget that women in the US make only 70 cents on the dollar compared (acontextually) to their male counterparts. So, y’know—who are we to judge?
4. Jihadists may drop stone walls on homosexuals, but rhetorically speaking, their anti-gay social conservative brethren here in the US continue to “stonewall” the civil rights of gays by irrationally fighting same-sex marriage.
5. If we wish to condemn Wahhabism, does it not make sense to first condemn Christianity, whose Crusaders—like the modern-day pan-Arabists—advocated conversion at the tip of the sword?
6. Why is it that those who are quick to condemn Palestinians for brainwashing children into hating Jews are the same people who defend a Pledge of Allegiance that brainwashes our own children into mindlessly serving Jesus?
7. Whenever we talk about “shadowy networks,” we’re always talking about Al Qaeda. But what about our own founders and their ties to the Freemasonry? How shadowy was that shit?
8. Just as Abraham Lincoln fought to keep the Union together, all Usama bin Laden is doing, when you get right down to it, is fighting to rejoin the fractured Arab world into one big happy caliphate.
9. Before we criticize Zarqawi for his heavyhanded tactics in trying to stave off US occupation, we would do well to remember the heavyhanded tactics Republicans are promising to use should the Democrats attempt to block the President’s extremist nominee for Supreme Court Justice​

When I hear the insurgents referred to as "freedom fighters" or whatever, it burns me up. You cannot compare what is going on in Iraq to our forefathers. We were fighting for true independence from an overseas power. The Baathists in Iraq are not fighting for independence, they are fighting to maintain the status quo. There is a huge difference. But then again, their comparisons to Vietnam make no sense either. The liberals grasp constantly hoping to catch something...

Forum List

Back