Al Sharpton’s Rally Attracts....???

Well, doesn't it seem strange to you that in a city inhabited predominately by Blacks, on a day, 8/28, that commorated MLK's speech, that only 3,000 would respond to Sharpton's invitation to demonstrate?

It sounds more like the Black Civil Rights Leaders were "Furious," but the average black citizen of DC couldn't give a crap.
i saw reports yesterday that said "several hundred" were at the Sharpton rally

now today its suddenly 3000

btw, Becks rally was est at between 300k and 500k yesterday

Well, with the millions of black residents in the DC area, the difference between 3000 and "hundreds" becomes insignificant: The fact is that very few blacks gave a shit about 8/28, Beck, or Sharpton.
well. even if you give Al his "3000", there were still more at the Beck rally than at his

WAPO isn't citing numbers but did concede that Sharpton's rally was 'much smaller'. It is obvious from long shots of Becks crowds at least tens of thousands were there. They won't have a definitive count until they can use aerial photos to count the crowd.

From WAPO:

Sharpton drew a mostly black crowd of union members, church-goers, college students and civil rights activists. The Obama administration weighed in, too, with Education Secretary Arne Duncan speaking of education as the "civil rights issue of this generation."

The Beck crowd, meanwhile, was overwhelmingly white, and many in the crowd described themselves as conservatives with deep concern about the country's political leadership and its direction.

But the mood was peaceful and calm at both events, and by the time the Sharpton march arrived on the Mall, the crowd from Beck's rally had largely dispersed. Despite the potential for tension, the events appeared to produce none of the politically damaging imagery that emerged from some earlier tea party rallies.
washingtonpost.com

Bless their hearts, WAPO like all the MSM just can't help themselves. They conceded Sharpton's group was 'mostly black' but Beck's crowd was 'OVERWHELMINGLY WHITE'. Yet if you watch the live stream which I did, there were a LOT of black faces in the crowd behind the podium and more than a few in the crowd closest to the podium. You couldn't tell beyond that.

But that's what it has come down to. God forbid we should focus on the subject matter of the event. Nope. The important thing is to count the black and white faces.

How pathetic is that?

Well, with the millions of black residents in the DC area, the difference between 3000 and "hundreds" becomes insignificant: The fact is that very few blacks gave a shit about 8/28, Beck, or Sharpton.
well. even if you give Al his "3000", there were still more at the Beck rally than at his

Obviously.

The question is why?

WAPO isn't citing numbers but did concede that Sharpton's rally was 'much smaller'. It is obvious from long shots of Becks crowds at least tens of thousands were there. They won't have a definitive count until they can use aerial photos to count the crowd.

From WAPO:

Sharpton drew a mostly black crowd of union members, church-goers, college students and civil rights activists. The Obama administration weighed in, too, with Education Secretary Arne Duncan speaking of education as the "civil rights issue of this generation."

The Beck crowd, meanwhile, was overwhelmingly white, and many in the crowd described themselves as conservatives with deep concern about the country's political leadership and its direction.

But the mood was peaceful and calm at both events, and by the time the Sharpton march arrived on the Mall, the crowd from Beck's rally had largely dispersed. Despite the potential for tension, the events appeared to produce none of the politically damaging imagery that emerged from some earlier tea party rallies.
washingtonpost.com

Bless their hearts, WAPO like all the MSM just can't help themselves. They conceded Sharpton's group was 'mostly black' but Beck's crowd was 'OVERWHELMINGLY WHITE'. Yet if you watch the live stream which I did, there were a LOT of black faces in the crowd behind the podium and more than a few in the crowd closest to the podium. You couldn't tell beyond that.

But that's what it has come down to. God forbid we should focus on the subject matter of the event. Nope. The important thing is to count the black and white faces.

How pathetic is that?
i guess Kings dream of a color blind America hasnt quite got there yet

Obviously.

The question is why?
i dont have the answer to that one
but maybe Al is seen for the race baiter by more blacks than he used to be

How pathetic is that?

Well, first, almost no one seemed to care about whatever Sharpton was trying to demonstrate.

Second, focusing on the subject doesn't make whatever Sharpton was trying to demonstrate seem any more important.

From WAPO:

washingtonpost.com

How pathetic is that?

Not even close when every syllable, inflection, metaphor, illustration, or symbol expressed by anybody on the right is scoured for an excuse to brand it as RACIST!

Note that WAPO found something that looked almost credible to express as a theme of Sharpton's rally. But couldn't bring themselves to do that for Beck.

Also, I wonder if ya'll noticed the cute little dig they got in on the Tea Parties that were irrelevent to either gathering?

Sometimes the blatant partisanship and ideological bias in the media is so blatant, I just want to pound my head on the wall.

From WAPO:

washingtonpost.com

How pathetic is that?

Not even close when every syllable, inflection, metaphor, illustration, or symbol expressed by anybody on the right is scoured for an excuse to brand it as RACIST!

Note that WAPO found something that looked almost credible to express as a theme of Sharpton's rally. But couldn't bring themselves to do that for Beck.

Also, I wonder if ya'll noticed the cute little dig they got in on the Tea Parties that were irrelevent to either gathering?

Sometimes the blatant partisanship and ideological bias in the media is so blatant, I just want to pound my head on the wall.
i learned a long time ago to not trust ANY media to get the story right, especially not within 48 hours of it happening

After some searching....
It looks like more people were at the high school than the march.

Al Sharpton Leads Activists Near Tea Partiers - CBS News

Al Sharpton's 'Reclaim the Dream' march

CBS news:

image6814564g.jpg

I count 14 people, including Sharpton.

Maybe "the march" was too much for them in August (the heat)?

Well, doesn't it seem strange to you that in a city inhabited predominately by Blacks, on a day, 8/28, that commorated MLK's speech, that only 3,000 would respond to Sharpton's invitation to demonstrate?

It sounds more like the Black Civil Rights Leaders were "Furious," but the average black citizen of DC couldn't give a crap.

Were they allowed to celebrate where he ACTUALLY gave the speech? No!
Maybe Beck could have been a little more respectful. And before you say they should of gone to his rally. His rally wasn't about MLK, and how many people there think MLK Day shouldn't be a federal holiday, or that there should be black history month?

Maybe Beck could have been a little more respectful. And before you say they should of gone to his rally. His rally wasn't about MLK, and how many people there think MLK Day shouldn't be a federal holiday, or that there should be black history month?
it should be
but i would support it more if it was on Aug 28th

I'm finding a few media sources--VERY few media sources--that are portraying an overview of the Beck crowd:

web-191639.jpg

web-191638.jpg

web-191637.jpg

The crowd attending the "Restoring Honor" rally, organized by Glenn Beck, is seen from the top of the Washington Monument in Washington, on Saturday, Aug. 28, 2010. In the foreground is the National World War II Memorial and the Lincoln Memorial is at the top. (Associated Press)

Sharpton is estimating several thousand at his rally. Townhall, a decidedly rightwing publication, graciously reported a few hundred. WAPO didn't even do that retaining its journalistic credibility by concededing that Sharpton didn't get as many as Beck.

But where are the overview pictures for Sharpton? Didn't anybody get any?

Last edited:

wah, they were too stupid to book the Lincoln Memorial on that date if they wanted it until after they heard Beck already had. First come first serve Loose Ass, that is something you should know all about.

MLK's bday absolutely should be a federal holiday, black history month is a joke, but who cares?

So, unless the hundreds of thousands of blacks that inhabit Washington can commemorate the 47th anniversary of MLK's speech, in the exact spot that he gave the speech, then they don't wanna bother.

This seems a tad less than dedicated to the spirit of the occasion, but you could be right.

Forum List

Back