Al Sharpton vs. Rush Limbaugh (and free speech)

chanel

Silver Member
Jun 8, 2009
People's Republic of NJ
What Rush Limbaugh and others have done I believe has pushed the envelope beyond free speech.

We all have the right to free speech, we all have the right -- including those on the right-wing -- to express ourselves. But if there are standards on decency that the government gives and enforces for regulated licenses for television and radio, then included in that ought to be those that make references explicitly or implicitly based on race, gender and sexual orientation.

And we intend to follow that up with public hearings and bring some of those in front of a public hearing to explain how they justify the use of federally regulated airwaves to offend people based on who they are -- not using free speech based on what their opinions may be.

The American Spectator : AmSpecBlog : Al Sharpton Helping FCC Design Rush Limbaugh 'Free Speech' Show Trials

Public hearings on "offending people" in the media? There goes comedy.

Oh brother. :eek:

News flash, Al -- there is no right to not be offended. You don't like it? Change the station. You can only decide what you will see and hear. You don't get to make that decision for others.

My money is on Rush and free speech. Sharpton is still pissed over the "magic negro" comments.

In on first page of the second epic thread of the day!

Fascists and Totalitarian types always say something like this eventually: "I believe in the 1st Amendment and the Right of Free Speech but..."

[youtube]NfxVkLhlu5s[/youtube]

Barack the Magic Negro lives in D.C.
The L.A. Times, they called him that
'Cause he's not authentic like me.
Yeah, the guy from the L.A. paper
Said he makes guilty whites feel good
They'll vote for him, and not for me
'Cause he's not from the hood.
See, real black men, like Snoop Dog,
Or me, or Farrakhan
Have talked the talk, and walked the walk.
Not come in late and won!

[refrain]

Oh, Barack the Magic Negro, lives in D.C.
'Cause he's black, but not authentically.

Oh, Barack the Magic Negro, lives in D.C.
'Cause he's black, but not authentically.
Some say Barack's "articulate"
And bright and new and "clean."
The media sure loves this guy,
A white interloper's dream!
But, when you vote for president,
Watch out, and don't be fooled!
Don't vote the Magic Negro in -
'Cause â€" 'cause I won't have nothing after all these years of sacrifice
And I won't get justice. This is about justice. This isn't about me, it's about justice.
It's about buffet. I don't have no buffet and there won't be any church contributions,

Last edited:
What Rush Limbaugh and others have done I believe has pushed the envelope beyond free speech.

We all have the right to free speech, we all have the right -- including those on the right-wing -- to express ourselves. But if there are standards on decency that the government gives and enforces for regulated licenses for television and radio, then included in that ought to be those that make references explicitly or implicitly based on race, gender and sexual orientation.

And we intend to follow that up with public hearings and bring some of those in front of a public hearing to explain how they justify the use of federally regulated airwaves to offend people based on who they are -- not using free speech based on what their opinions may be.

The American Spectator : AmSpecBlog : Al Sharpton Helping FCC Design Rush Limbaugh 'Free Speech' Show Trials

Public hearings on "offending people" in the media? There goes comedy.

Oh brother. :eek:

Yeah..really..

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtiZdrJvZt4[/ame]

Forum List

Back