al Sadr At It Again

Annie

Diamond Member
Nov 22, 2003
Time to kill him:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/ap/20040705/ap_on_re_mi_ea/iraq&cid=540&ncid=716

Iraq Militant Cleric Vows to Keep Fighting

22 minutes ago

By FISNIK ABRASHI, Associated Press Writer

BAGHDAD, Iraq - The militant Shiite cleric whose uprising last April left hundreds dead pledged Sunday to resist "oppression and occupation" and calling the new interim Iraqi government "illegitimate."

Muqtada al-Sadr made the declaration in a statement distributed by his office in the Shiite holy city of Najaf, where his al-Mahdi militia battled American troops until a cease-fire last month.

"We pledge to the Iraqi people and the world to continue resisting oppression and occupation to our last drop of blood," al-Sadr said. "Resistance is a legitimate right and not a crime to be punished."

Previously, Al-Sadr had made conciliatory statements to the new government of Prime Minister Iyad Allawi, a fellow Shiite, and members of his movement had suggested they might transform the al-Mahdi Army into a political party. Also, Al-Mahdi fighters accepted cease-fires in most Shiite areas after suffering huge losses at the hands of the Americans.

However, in his statement Sunday, the young cleric said, "There is no truce with the occupier and those who cooperate with it."

"We announce that the current government is illegitimate and illegal," al-Sadr said. "It's generally following the occupation. We demand complete sovereignty and independence by holding honest elections."

On June 12, al-Sadr issued a statement saying he was ready for a dialogue with the new government if it worked to end the U.S. military presence.

Islamic clerics, middle east dictators, and royal families will never allow democracy to develop in Iraq. These people know that once democracy takes hold anywhere in the region, their days in power are numbered.

Don't hold your breath on anything positive coming out of Iraq. We should have gone in, killed as many terrorists and their leaders as quickly as we could and then pulled the hell out. Let them worry about rebuilding their damn infrastructure. These people do not appreciate our efforts or the lives that have been sacrificed and they certainly can't hate us any more than they already do.

I wish that we could come to accept them as they really are - a collection of zealots, racists and sociopaths. As long as we view them through lenses filtered by our conception of how we would LIKE them to be, we will never develop a policy to deal effectively with these idiots. They will never respect us. So let them fear us instead.

the funny thing is, with allawi (sp?) in charge of iraq, it wouldn't be a surprise for sadr to end up dead sooner than later... this new PM makes things happen.

Originally posted by NATO AIR
the funny thing is, with allawi (sp?) in charge of iraq, it wouldn't be a surprise for sadr to end up dead sooner than later... this new PM makes things happen.

I'm tending towards your belief. I think Sadr must die, the sooner the better. It looks like they are going to try the amnesty deal, I hope it works.

I don't know what form of gov't Iraq will end up with, but it will have to be a bit better than Saddam. Iran for all the Mullahs and all, still doesn't whack away at citizens walking down the street.

Forum List

Back