Al-Qaeda execute hostage in Niger.

tigerbob

Increasingly jaded.
Oct 27, 2007
Michigan
Al-Qaeda are still up to their old tricks. Nationals of Britain, Switzerland and Germany were kidnapped in January and it now appears that the Brit has been executed. It doesn't specify what has happened to the Swiss and German hostages, but the article does say...

BBC, June 3, 2009

Other European countries are understood to have paid ransoms to secure their hostages' release, but the British government has a blanket policy against such methods, he added.

BBC NEWS | UK | Al-Qaeda 'kills British hostage'

I can understand the Swiss position potentially as they remain neutral about everything, but what do people feel about paying ransoms? Is there ever a reason to do so? Is Britain's "blanket policy against such methods" wise, given the fact that it doesn't seem to deter anyone? Is there a difference between paying a financial ransom and giving in to demands to release someone (as in this case)?

I can understand the Swiss position potentially as they remain neutral about everything, but what do people feel about paying ransoms? Is there ever a reason to do so? Is Britain's "blanket policy against such methods" wise, given the fact that it doesn't seem to deter anyone? Is there a difference between paying a financial ransom and giving in to demands to release someone (as in this case)?

As you know, TB, Britain has a policy of not paying ransoms, and there was never any prospect of releasing Abu Qatada, who is recognised as al-Qaeda's spiritual leader in Europe. I don't believe there can or should be any alternative to such a firm policy. Once you start paying ransoms or releasing prisoners on the basis of kidnappings and the threat of execution, you provide incentive for every extremist nutter to play that game.

As you know, TB, Britain has a policy of not paying ransoms, and there was never any prospect of releasing Abu Qatada, who is recognised as al-Qaeda's spiritual leader in Europe. I don't believe there can or should be any alternative to such a firm policy. Once you start paying ransoms or releasing prisoners on the basis of kidnappings and the threat of execution, you provide incentive for every extremist nutter to play that game.

I completely agree and, irrespective of the result of particular case, I continue to believe that giving in even once to terrorist demands is the thin end of the wedge.

But I was just wondering why other countries like Germany (I assume, since the article mentions other countries paying up and one of the hostages was a German national) cave in to this sort of thing and whether it has ever show to be creating anything but further problems later down the line. I thought Germany had broadly the same position as the UK.

BTW, I think it's absolutely disgraceful that this Qatada thing hasn't been sorted yet. It's been going on for what, seven, eight years now? The sooner the Human Rights Act is thrown out the better. The only people it seems to protect are the inhuman.

But I was just wondering why other countries like Germany (I assume, since the article mentions other countries paying up and one of the hostages was a German national) cave in to this sort of thing and whether it has ever show to be creating anything but further problems later down the line. I thought Germany had broadly the same position as the UK.

It's what happens when you get bleeding heart liberalists pushing the agenda.

BTW, I think it's absolutely disgraceful that this Qatada thing hasn't been sorted yet. It's been going on for what, seven, eight years now? The sooner the Human Rights Act is thrown out the better. The only people it seems to protect are the inhuman.

Couldn't agree more! Our legal system has been tainted by EU social engineering. Twenty years ago, this piece of excrement would have been extradited to Jordan without appeal, regardless of whether he faced execution on his return. The bloody inmates have taken charge of the asylum!

Last edited:
Ugh, this is another one of the few topics floating around in my head that I consider myself to be "fence sittin" now. I used to be die-hard "DO NOT pay ransoms! EVER!" but since having a child, I'm kind of "if-y" on the subject.

If I was in the hostage situation myself, as a single dude, I think that I would still be die-hard "Dont pay!" and would be utterly ashamed if my government did pay a ransom for me. Reasoning being (as already pointed out) that it'll just lead to more kidnapping/hostage for ransom situations for fellow countrymen in the future.

Being in my situation now, as a parent, I would still be ashamed to have a ransom payed for me, but life is good with a infant child, and I couldnt think of anything better than to be out of the situation and holding my boy again. I was 21 when my father passed, and that was hard enough, I couldnt even begin to imagine a life without a single memory of him. I wouldnt want that for my child.

At this remove, I would say that countries should not pay any sort of ransom for hostages. Doing so would only further encourage hostage-taking.

Tank and William Joyce must have done a doubletake when they read the title of this thread:

"Al-Qaeda execute a hostile ******."

Al-Qaeda are still up to their old tricks. Nationals of Britain, Switzerland and Germany were kidnapped in January and it now appears that the Brit has been executed. It doesn't specify what has happened to the Swiss and German hostages, but the article does say...

BBC, June 3, 2009

Other European countries are understood to have paid ransoms to secure their hostages' release, but the British government has a blanket policy against such methods, he added.

The Swiss and the German women were released in April. No news about the Swiss man.

2 Canadians were released, too. in April.

bootneck said:
tigerbob said:

nice empty rhetoric there, bootneck. which liberalist pushed this agenda?

BBC, June 3, 2009

The Swiss and the German women were released in April. No news about the Swiss man.

2 Canadians were released, too. in April.

bootneck said:
tigerbob said:

nice empty rhetoric there, bootneck. which liberalist pushed this agenda?

Nearly as empty as yours then L.K!

The same bleeding heart liberalists who abolished capital punishment.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who introduced laws preventing us from returning terrorists to their country of origin if they face trial and execution.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who would change aspects of our culture lest it offend minorities.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who use political correctness to supress freedom of speech.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who have created a justice system where punishment no longer fits the crime.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who introduce human rights legislation that benefits the criminal rather than the victim.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who want to deny children the joys of competition by ending competitive sports in lower schools.
The same bleeding heart liberalists who removed the tools of discipline from school teaching staff.

Need I go on.

yes, please.

i'd like another helping of empty bullshit rhetoric straight from your gut, George Best!

If you have nothing intelligent or useful to add to the thread, why bother posting?

A handful of posts and your sounding like a troll already.

yes, please.

i'd like another helping of empty bullshit rhetoric straight from your gut, George Best!

If you have nothing intelligent or useful to add to the thread, why bother posting?

That's your interpretation.

I provided information about 4 hostages.

Then i called you out. You haven't answered so far which is in fact the kind of answer i expected. Thanks.

yes, please.

That's your interpretation.

I provided information about 4 hostages.

Then i called you out. You haven't answered so far which is in fact the kind of answer i expected. Thanks.

You asked the question. I answered it. What's up? Don't understand it?

Forum List

Back