Al-Qaeda claim acts in Spain

jon_forward

Nov 18, 2003
nashville.tn
Purported Qaeda Letter Claims Spain Bombings-Paper
31 minutes ago Add Top Stories - Reuters to My Yahoo!

DUBAI (Reuters) - A letter purporting to come from Osama bin Laden (news - web sites)'s al Qaeda network claimed responsibility for train bombings in Spain on Thursday, calling them strikes against "crusaders," a London-based Arabic newspaper said.

Reuters Photo

The Spanish government has said Basque separatists were the main suspect in the bombings of four trains early on Thursday that killed 190 people.

But the country's interior minister held open the possibility of a militant Islamist link on Thursday evening when he told a newspaper conference that a suspect van had been found containing detonators and an Arabic-language tape. He said, however, militant Basque separatists remained chief suspects.

The London-based al-Quds al-Arabi newspaper faxed to Reuters' Dubai bureau a copy of a letter purporting to come from the "Abu Hafs al-Masri Brigades." The group aligns itself to al Qaeda, blamed by Washington for September 2001 attacks on the United States.

"We have succeeded in infiltrating the heart of crusader Europe and struck one of the bases of the crusader alliance," said the letter which called the attacks "Operation Death Trains."

There was no way of authenticating the letter.

The newspaper received similar letters from the same brigade claiming responsibility on behalf of al Qaeda for a November bombing of two synagogues in Turkey and the August bombing of the U.N. headquarters in Baghdad.

Spain backed the United States in its invasion of Iraq (news - web sites), drawing the opprobrium of militant Islamist groups.

must be trying to get as many licks in as they can before OBL is caught,tried,convicted and desposed of....sorry bastards

If I were the terrorists, I'd better PRAY GWB doesn't win this ellection...if they bombed Spain because Spain stood up for Freedom, alongside the USA, I can guarantee GWB puts on his "ass-kickin' boots"

It looks at this point like both are a possibility. Al Qaeda could easily claim responsibility for something it didn't do --- just for the free terror. I would like to know for sure. In support of al Qaeda did it, read the following:

Bush Thanks Aznar for Spain's Support against Iraq, Terrorism

Joint press availability following May 7 White House meeting

In a joint press availability at the White House May 7, President Bush thanked Spanish President of the Government Jose Maria Aznar for his country's support in the war in Iraq and against terrorism, and for sending medical and engineering units to assist the Iraqi people.

Bush also announced that he is suspending the Iraq Sanctions Act, which restricts the export of certain equipment necessary for Iraq's reconstruction, and directing Treasury Secretary John Snow to relax administrative sanctions on American companies and citizens conducting business in Iraq that contributes to humanitarian relief and reconstruction.

He said the United States, Great Britain and Spain "soon" will introduce a new U.N. Security Council resolution to lift the sanctions imposed by the United Nations.

Spain and the United States, Bush said, will continue as strong allies across the globe in the war against terror and are committed to expanding trade and to addressing global poverty and HIV/AIDS.

Bush said the United States is taking steps to cut off financing for the Batasuna organization, because of its ties to the Basque terrorist group ETA.

He praised Aznar as an important friend of America, calling him a man of principle and courage. He thanked Aznar for providing diplomatic support before the Iraq war and for allowing U.S. planes to fly over Spanish airspace and use Spanish air bases.

Bush expressed regret over the deaths of two Spanish journalists in Iraq, one of whom died when U.S. forces fired on a Baghdad hotel where foreign reporters were working.

Aznar thanked President Bush for inviting him to the White House and said he and Bush share "deep convictions" against terrorism.

"When you give your word and you keep it, that gives rise to trust. And that actually is what serious countries and serious governments must do," Aznar said.

Bush and Aznar were to dine together at the White House after the press availability.

This proves the foolishness of entanglement with Israel's puppet, aka the United States. The only one now wishing a war with the Islamic world is the Jewish world. Let them fight it out if they must, but leave this country --- and Europe --- out of it.

Its no too far of a stretch for Al Qaeda to be involved as I think i've seen somewhere some documented evidence of ties to the Basque seperatists there.

AQ is more than likely responsable for this attack, mabey now some in Europe will now realize what a threat AQ really is, even inside Europe. I'm looking a France and Germany in paticular.

France seems to continuously wear blinders when it comes to terrorism. Until someone blows something up in downtown Paris, I think they will turn their head.

I have seen no connection between ETA and al Qaeda.

France, too, is more than aware of the threat presented by terrorists, as they too have introduced draconian measures to increase the capabilities of their police and security forces, not unlike the Patriot Act of the US.

If there is an al Qaeda connection, I should think it will lead Spaniards to question more profoundly their government's willingness to stick them in a war which the vast majority of Spaniards were against.

Originally posted by Bry
I have seen no connection between ETA and al Qaeda.

France, too, is more than aware of the threat presented by terrorists, as they too have introduced draconian measures to increase the capabilities of their police and security forces, not unlike the Patriot Act of the US.

If there is an al Qaeda connection, I should think it will lead Spaniards to question more profoundly their government's willingness to stick them in a war which the vast majority of Spaniards were against.

As a liberal, you should understand all too well that sometimes the populace are sheep, needing to be herded by the enlightened leadership.:D

Forum List

Back