Al Gore: Votes, not science, led me to back corn ethanol

Ame®icano;3006524 said:
Sooo, science backed up corn-based ethanol was about votes, science backed up global warming was about money (and Oscar), is there any science left for Gore?

Is there a science devoted to the study of fleecing gullible people out of their money in the name of "saving the planet"?

He supported 'first generation' ethanol for votes. Now he supports 2nd generation ethanol for:

...Gore now says he supports second-generation ethanol to avoid using food, instead using wood, waste fiber, and grass. But the same Slate report shows that these technologies actually perform worse than corn for ethanol:

David Pimentel, a professor of ecology at Cornell University who has been studying grain alcohol for 20 years, and Tad Patzek, an engineering professor at the University of California, Berkeley, co-wrote a recent report that estimates that making ethanol from corn requires 29 percent more fossil energy than the ethanol fuel itself actually contains.

The two scientists calculated all the fuel inputs for ethanol production—from the diesel fuel for the tractor planting the corn, to the fertilizer put in the field, to the energy needed at the processing plant—and found that ethanol is a net energy-loser. According to their calculations, ethanol contains about 76,000 BTUs per gallon, but producing that ethanol from corn takes about 98,000 BTUs. For comparison, a gallon of gasoline contains about 116,000 BTUs per gallon. But making that gallon of gas—from drilling the well, to transportation, through refining—requires around 22,000 BTUs.

In addition to their findings on corn, they determined that making ethanol from switch grass requires 50 percent more fossil energy than the ethanol yields, wood biomass 57 percent more, and sunflowers 118 percent more. The best yield comes from soybeans, but they, too, are a net loser, requiring 27 percent more fossil energy than the biodiesel fuel produced. In other words, more ethanol production will increase America’s total energy consumption, not decrease it.
Ethanol production won’t dent the US demand for fuel. At best, it nibbles around the edges. But, given Gore’s track record on his endorsements, perhaps he’s looking for another area for investment in Al Gore Inc.

Update: On that note, here’s this from commenter Selias:

Google avaiation biofuels and algae. Then Google Al Gore’s investment into biofuel companies like Abengoa.​

Then read this article last week in The Hill, written by none other than Abengoa VP, Christopher G. Standlee:​

America needs new investment: In the next generation of biofuels

Then ponder the Federal lands and wetlands bonanza buy-ups in recent years, even pointed out by our very own Michelle Malkin.

Why would the progressive Federal gov’t need so much land? With quotes like this:

The Department of Energy says algae grown on a 15,000-square-mile area, about the size of Maryland, could theoretically meet the nation’s oil needs.

…it’s easy to put this puzzle together.​

It’s all about Al Gore Inc.

So have you bought your carbon credits today?
Mortal fool! You shall bring down the wrath of The Goracle upon your head!

goraclecopyna4.jpg

Boy oh boy I am really glad there aren't alot of conservatives involved in science...or technology (There are a few..)

Nothing would ever get done.

you better explain this mister...

Because in order to do science..or technology..you need cognition..and to be open minded. I like to go back to the Demmings cycle to explain how new technology gets implemented.

Plan - Put together a plan.
Do - Implement the plan.
Check - Check for issues.
Act - Act on the issues.

Conservatives would fail on the check part. As in "oh my..there were issues..we've totally failed". Or they wouldn't admit to issues.

Part of implementing something new is to expect that it is not going to be perfect. That there may be unintended consequences..and that you may have to make corrections.

geez sallow, just when i think i have you figured out...
some of the greatest long range research is done under corporate umbrellas. some of the great inventions in mankind have been brought forth by "conservatives"
don't confuse advancement of science with big government. this is right out of "atlas shrugged"

Many's the time that politicians' antics have droven me to resorting to corn alcohol.
jim-beam-black-label.jpg

Ame®icano;3006524 said:
Sooo, science backed up corn-based ethanol was about votes, science backed up global warming was about money (and Oscar), is there any science left for Gore?

Is there a science devoted to the study of fleecing gullible people out of their money in the name of "saving the planet"?

That's not science, that's art.

"The art of the con."

Artists get grants from the government.

Ame®icano;3006524 said:

"The art of the con."

Only the insiders.

The rest of them are subject to market forces.

in his movie "incontinent truth". why did he save the animated frog but not the animated polar bear ? that part was so sad, Polary, swimming off into the distance, there we all sat, knowing that he was swimming to a premature demise. and al gore, that big fat fracus, did nothing.....Nothing !!!

in his movie "incontinent truth". why did he save the animated frog but not the animated polar bear ? that part was so sad, Polary, swimming off into the distance, there we all sat, knowing that he was swimming to a premature demise. and al gore, that big fat fracus, did nothing.....Nothing !!!

B/c like many of his other lies, polar bears are not endagered. As a matter of fact they are doing better now than they have in a very very long time.

Al Gore's mea culpa for corn ethanol support - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

updated 1 hour 45 minutes ago 2010-11-22T18:29:57

Earlier support of 'first generation ethanol' was about his presidential bid

ATHENS, Greece — In a mea culpa of sorts, former Vice President Al Gore on Monday said he made a mistake in supporting corn-based ethanol while he was in office, admitting he was more interested in farm votes for his presidential run than what was best for the environment.

Thanks Al. It's nice to see, after all these years, after you have been proven wrong or lying on so much of the crap you put out as fact, that you finally have to admit to one truth.

It's nice to know that instead of being a complete and utter lying vomit bag, your just an utter lying vomit bag.

The truth is such an inconvient thing. :laugh2::laugh::lol:

You missed the best part of this story.

Google avaiation biofuels and algae. Then Google Al Gore’s investment into biofuel companies like Abengoa.

Then read this article last week in The Hill, written by none other than Abengoa VP, Christopher G. Standlee:

Then ponder the Federal lands and wetlands bonanza buy-ups in recent years, even pointed out by our very own Michelle Malkin.

Why would the progressive Federal gov’t need so much land? With quotes like this:

The Department of Energy says algae grown on a 15,000-square-mile area, about the size of Maryland, could theoretically meet the nation’s oil needs.

…it’s easy to put this puzzle together.

Gore: On second thought, I was just pandering to the farm vote on ethanol Hot Air

Or,

It was about getting me elected, now it is about making me rich. - Al Gore

Gore: On second thought, I was just pandering to the farm vote on ethanol Hot Air

Al Gore's mea culpa for corn ethanol support - U.S. news - Environment - msnbc.com

updated 1 hour 45 minutes ago 2010-11-22T18:29:57

Earlier support of 'first generation ethanol' was about his presidential bid

ATHENS, Greece — In a mea culpa of sorts, former Vice President Al Gore on Monday said he made a mistake in supporting corn-based ethanol while he was in office, admitting he was more interested in farm votes for his presidential run than what was best for the environment.

Thanks Al. It's nice to see, after all these years, after you have been proven wrong or lying on so much of the crap you put out as fact, that you finally have to admit to one truth.

It's nice to know that instead of being a complete and utter lying vomit bag, your just an utter lying vomit bag.

The truth is such an inconvient thing. :laugh2::laugh::lol:

You missed the best part of this story.

Google avaiation biofuels and algae. Then Google Al Gore’s investment into biofuel companies like Abengoa.

Then read this article last week in The Hill, written by none other than Abengoa VP, Christopher G. Standlee:

…it’s easy to put this puzzle together.

Or,

It was about getting me elected, now it is about making me rich. - Al Gore

All the "Green" evergy crap is all about money and power. Anyone that thinks otherwise is kidding themselves.

No company anywhere is going to work and not turn a profit.

Boy oh boy I am really glad there aren't alot of conservatives involved in science...or technology (There are a few..)

Nothing would ever get done.

Uhhh I hate to point out a simple fact...ummm...but we told you clowns that he was not telling...uhh you know the truth. So now when he admits he was lying ...uhhh...you call us
Luddites? That's rich doofus, rich. WE were correct. You clowns just followed the head Lemming off the cliff. Good job!:clap2::clap2::clap2: That takes real intellectual power to do that....

This..

Proves my point entirely.
Really? Then you can point me to liberals calling for the end of ethanol subsidies like me, a science-hating conservative is doing?

This is not about "science", it's about winning your point.

Using words like "weasel" and "spin" is really not conducive to discourse..is it?

:lol::lol::lol: Really, you have got to tell me what you are imbibing:lol::lol:

Ame®icano;3006524 said:

"The art of the con."

Leftist ideas just can't exist where they have to pay for themselves, can they?

Forum List

Back