Al Gore a product of white male privilege?

I think Al Gore is a product of something that once floated down the mighty rivers of British Columbia on their way to the sawmill myself. But that's just me.

Right wing pro-Republican trolling is not needed, lol, are there any *REAL* conservatives here or just plain old Republicans? the two are not the same and can be mutually exclusive.

Last edited:
Charlie, I said he was a product of class priviledge. Any wealthy person is going to have priviledge, doesn't matter what color they are.

The overwhelming majority are white by far.

I can't disagree, but if Al Gore's father were black, he'd still have class priviledge.

You think Jay Z's sending his kids to NY Public Schools ? You think Jordan did ? You think Cuban did ? And do you think that their children will go to public universities either ? It's highly doubtful. And what do all those men have in common ? Wealth, power and influence. Their races are illrelevant because of the underlying color of money, green.

see, this is why I hate wingnut blogs, regardless of whether they're right or left wing.

Privilege ALWAYS has certain benefits. Some like Gore and Daddy Bush actually work for those benefits. Some like Baby Bush don't.

Mostly, I'm wondering why you're worrying about this now since the current occupant of the white house is neither white nor a son of privilege.

At some point, people have to suck it up, accept that it can be helpful to have money, contacts and privilege... and then work your butt off anyway and see how far you can go.

That's life .. you can moan and whine about it or get out and do something for yourself.

see, this is why I hate wingnut blogs, regardless of whether they're right or left wing.

Privilege ALWAYS has certain benefits. Some like Gore and Daddy Bush actually work for those benefits. Some like Baby Bush don't.

Do you agree that being a white male was and still is a huge privilege?

Mostly, I'm wondering why you're worrying about this now since the current occupant of the white house is neither white nor a son of privilege.

Indeed Obama isn't a child of privilege, but he and other blacks don't have the privilege of attending college without people thinking some more qualified white guy had to miss out for them to attend.

The point of this thread is that white male who argue against affirmative action on the bais that it gives blacks privilege over white males ignore the privilege they have and those amongst them that have already used it, like Al gore and Dick Cheney for example.

Depends on your social/economic status... If you're born white and poor, you don't have a lot of privileges. If you're born black and rich, you do.

Indeed Obama isn't a child of privilege, but he and other blacks don't have the privilege of attending college without people thinking some more qualified white guy had to miss out for them to attend.

Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they do. *shrug*

But do you really want to make the argument against affirmative action?

The point of this thread is that white male who argue against affirmative action on the bais that it gives blacks privilege over white males ignore the privilege they have and those amongst them that have already used it, like Al gore and Dick Cheney for example.

Again, if you're born poor and white, you don't have ANY of the privileges that poor blacks can get. If you're born rich and powerful, whether you're black or white, you get the perks of that status.

You think Jesse Jackson Jr. got his seat in Congress because he was such an extraordinary young man? Or do you think who his daddy was helped as much as who Bush's daddy was helped?

At some point, people have to suck it up, accept that it can be helpful to have money, contacts and privilege... and then work your butt off anyway and see how far you can go.

That's life .. you can moan and whine about it or get out and do something for yourself.

I'm trying to process how such a common-sense post escaped from jillian's keyboard.

Anyway, I actually do appreciate some of the founding fathers' anti-privilege sentiment in this regard... it may well have been that Merry Ole England was too tied to it, and they wanted to reform it a little. Virginia was basically second-born sons who never would have gotten a thing back home, but showed some spunk here. George Washington, given his birth, would have been a very modest-ranking man in the British armed forces, but here, he became the goddamn General of the Continental Forces. Pretty fuckin' cool, eh? I don't go nuts with my populism, but I like to see it ride a little...

I say, "Give excellence a fighting chance." That's nowhere near the egalitarian idea that "everyone is special", so nobody get any ideas that I'm PC. If excellence isn't shown, well, OK, just move on.

Last edited:

Depends on your social/economic status... If you're born white and poor, you don't have a lot of privileges. If you're born black and rich, you do.[/quote]

Bullocks, even white convicts get jobs over blacks who are qualified and have no convictions, its not solely about economic status, white privilege goes beyond that.

Sometimes they don't. Sometimes they do. *shrug*

But do you really want to make the argument against affirmative action?

What do you means sometimes? The Bass knows many black officers in the military who complain that everytime they got a command slot or promotion the white officers passed over assume its affirmative action when in reality the military is the most merit based organization in the country. Whats bad is that these white officers assume that the blacks who get the command slot or promotion is less qualified than they are, though they don't even know a damn thing about the qualifications of those blacks. Affirmative action isn't the cause for that twisted type of thinking, white supremacy is. When white officers receive a promotion or a command slot they don't have that burden of people doubting whether they were truly qualified, its automatically assumed they are and why? Because they're white and its practically instilled in people that whites are the gold standard of everything.

Again, if you're born poor and white, you don't have ANY of the privileges that poor blacks can get. If you're born rich and powerful, whether you're black or white, you get the perks of that status.

No what you fail to realize is the hypocrisy of these privileged white males, they argue against affirmative action because they assume it gives blacks privilege over white males like themselves which is funny, considering the fact that people like Bush Jr entered college because his father was an alumini, in short Bush Jr was a legacy admission and legacy admissions have more preference over affirmative action applicants. In fact over 90% of legacy admissions come from privileged white families, but these same politicians who argue against affirmative action on the basis that merit should take precedence ignore this and even send their own children to colleges as legacy admissions. The white students that are denied assume it was some AA black who took "their" spot when in reality its likely statistically to have been a legacy admission.

You think Jesse Jackson Jr. got his seat in Congress because he was such an extraordinary young man? Or do you think who his daddy was helped as much as who Bush's daddy was helped?

Jesse Jr admits having privilege but unlike the privileged white males in this country he isn't against affirmative action and arguing for merit, in other words he's no hypocrite denying people something when he benefited from preference.

Forum List

Back