Al Bores Movie Bombs at Box Office

jillian said:
Oh...I'm sorry, did you say something?

Thought not.

Truth sucks, huh? :wine:

If Al Bore really wanted to get his movie some advertisement he should buy a spot of Rushs' or Seans' show. At least people would hear about it. The listerners are on their shows

MtnBiker said:
I'm less concerned about how much the movie generates in revenue, but how many people will actually take the moive as gospel.

You know what? Like everything else, people have to be discerning and cull out fact from editorializing.

But I really find it interesting that so many think the issue should be a partisan one. I mean, you're a reasonable person. Please explain to me why so many on the right seem to have a vested interest in saying that there's no such thing as global warming when the scientific evidence makes clear that there is. Now, that doesn't mean I think any more of those on the other extreme of the argument and think we should all move to geodesic (sp?) domes in the desert.

Maybe you can help me with this one.

jillian said:
You know what? Like everything else, people have to be discerning and cull out fact from editorializing.

But I really find it interesting that so many think the issue should be a partisan one. I mean, you're a reasonable person. Please explain to me why so many on the right seem to have a vested interest in saying that there's no such thing as global warming when the scientific evidence makes clear that there is. Now, that doesn't mean I think any more of those on the other extreme of the argument and think we should all move to geodesic (sp?) domes in the desert.

Tell you what Jillian, when these "scientists" can tell me, accurately, how much the next days snowfall will be - I will consider what they say the weather will be like in 20 years

jillian said:

I'll give it a shot---maybe one of the only liberal issues that is clearly recognizable is gobal warming. Get everyone scared to death of an impending catasrophe if they don't vote liberal.
I think conservatives can agree that maybe we are in a natural warming cycle but to attribute it all to man is going overboard to make political hay.

dilloduck said:
I'll give it a shot---maybe one of the only liberal issues that is clearly recognizable is gobal warming. Get everyone scared to death of an impending catasrophe if they don't vote liberal.
I think conservatives can agree that maybe we are in a natural warming cycle but to attribute it all to man is going overboard to make political hay.

Thank you. I appreciate that. I think it's clear that temperature is cyclical. But I also think it is clear that we are exacerbating the cycles that exist in nature and are creating an inhospitable environment for life on the planet.

Maybe if people on both sides of the aisle actually stopped playing politics on this one, we could arrive at a reasonable middle ground.

It is normal weather patterns. I have seen many times folks from the National Hurricane Center saying we are in the same pattern we had in the 50's and 60's

20 years ago the enviro wackos were screaming global cooling

:bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3:
Abby Normal said:
An Inconvenient Truth (2006)

Weekend Total $1,331,508
Weeks 2
Screens 77
Weekend screen avg. $17,292
Cumulative box offic $1,912,482

**Btw, it's showing at 77 screens, not 4.
This is the second weeks release. The numbers must have just come out. I'll continue comparing it to X-Men.
rottentomatos.com said:
X-Men 3
Week #2 Rank: 2 Weekend Gross: $34,350,000 Theatres: 3,714 Per Theatre: $9,249 Cumulative Gross: $175,681,162
So compared to X-Men, Al Gore's movie did twice as well were it was shown. That means, assuming theatres charge the same ticket price for all movies, and the theatres where Truth was shown also had X-Men, that roughly twice as many people would go see Truth. For the first weekend, when people had the choice to see both, the ratio was 3 to 1 in Truth's favor.

Also, Abbey, thank you for demonstrating my point. AS you can see, the first weekend the movie was only shown at 4 locations. The second weekend it was shown at 77. Next weekend, it will probably be shown at a few hundred theatres, and then on June 16th, it will be in a couple thousand theatres. As you can see, the film is being rolled out slowly, not the usual nationwide release. That's why it didn't pull in tens of millions on its first weekend.

red states rule said:
The first week is usually a films best week. This dog is going down faster then a Bill Clinton intern.

Leave it to libs, when they get their ass kicked they still claim they win.
1. I'm not a liberal
2. The movie is doing amazingly well for a limited release. Based on how well it's doing on a limited release, I am willing to predict at least 50 million nationwide.
3. You scenario only applies to nationwide releases. This is a limited release that's going to be slowly rolled out. What you're saying is totally irrelevant.

Mr.Conley said:
:bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3: :bang3:

This is the second weeks release. The numbers must have just come out. I'll continue comparing it to X-Men.

So compared to X-Men, Al Gore's movie did twice as well were it was shown. That means, assuming theatres charge the same ticket price for all movies, and the theatres where Truth was shown also had X-Men, that roughly twice as many people would go see Truth. For the first weekend, when people had the choice to see both, the ratio was 3 to 1 in Truth's favor.

Also, Abbey, thank you for demonstrating my point. AS you can see, the first weekend the movie was only shown at 4 locations. The second weekend it was shown at 77. Next weekend, it will probably be shown at a few hundred theatres, and then on June 16th, it will be in a couple thousand theatres. As you can see, the film is being rolled out slowly, not the usual nationwide release. That's why it didn't pull in tens of millions on its first weekend.

1. I'm not a liberal
2. The movie is doing amazingly well for a limited release. Based on how well it's doing on a limited release, I am willing to predict at least 50 million nationwide.
3. You scenario only applies to nationwide releases. This is a limited release that's going to be slowly rolled out. What you're saying is totally irrelevant.

Keep using "X Men" as your guide. Both films are fantasies after all

I hope you libs do this "well" on election day

Keep losing and keep chanting your winning

jillian said:

I have not be convinced at all that whatever global warming exsists is the direct cause of human activity and therefore could be slowed or reversed by human activity.

I really have no problem with the idea of alternative energy sources, conservation of fuel. Those are and will be good things for our nation. But not to extremes that would be damaging to our economy. I have no faith that other nations will put in place the same restricitons on their energy use, thus potentially putting the U.S. a disadvantage in the world economy. It is that scenario that mostly concerns me.

And I do wonder if that is the motivation for some on the global warming front.

red states rule said:
Keep using "X Men" as your guide. Both films are fantasies after all

I hope you libs do this "well" on election day

Keep losing and keep chanting your winning
So... you want to actually post a rebuttal next time.

I mean the point is that you are trying to prove my position invalid afterall. However, in order to do this, you need to actually post a response that shows my arguments are invalid. Of course, since you probably are unable to find where I am wrong (because I'm not wrong) then you can just resort to catcalls and red herrings like your last post.

Just a suggestion

Mr.Conley said:

I mean the point is that you are trying to prove my position invalid afterall. However, in order to do this, you need to actually post a response that shows my arguments are invalid. Of course, since you probably are unable to find where I am wrong (because I'm not wrong) then you can just resort to catcalls and red herrings like your last post.

Just a suggestion

You just keep thinking people actually give a damn what Al Bore has to say.

You keep thinking this fantasy film is actually going to accomplish something

Who am I to bust your bubble? The movie stinks and it will fade faster then Jhn "I served in Viet Nam" Kerrys' war record

Mr.Conley said:

Just a suggestion

i understand your position to be:

al's political commercial and the x-men are both films

both will make money

you say eventually 50 mil because of the limited realease scenario

you are not a liberal

yikes ya got us

MtnBiker said:
I have not be convinced at all that whatever global warming exsists is the direct cause of human activity and therefore could be slowed or reversed by human activity.

I really have no problem with the idea of alternative energy sources, conservation of fuel. Those are and will be good things for our nation. But not to extremes that would be damaging to our economy. I have no faith that other nations will put in place the same restricitons on their energy use, thus potentially putting the U.S. a disadvantage in the world economy. It is that scenario that mostly concerns me.

And I do wonder if that is the motivation for some on the global warming front.

You make a fair point. I can't speak to what extremists want. I think there are extremists on both sides who are equally damaging and irrational.

I think the starting points for an agreement and for action that is for the good of the country instead of just for political points on either side lies in the things you're comfortable with. alternative energy sources and conservation. We've known since the debacle of the '70's that we shouldn't be beholden to OPEC -- that they're dangerous and play with our need (not to mention the fact that if we get off oil, we can tell them to take a hike. Right now, we're just funding them so they can fund terrorist organizations).

The manner in which we seek alterntives to foreign oil should, for there to be an agreement, take into consideration preservation of the environment. Russell Train, who was Richard Nixon's EPA Director (and who used to be a life-long republican), has spoken a great deal about those things that should be done.

I also agree that if we can't compete in a global economy, we're hurting ourselves in the longrun, so it's not that I think corporate interests should be ignored. But, by their very nature, corporations are amoral and care only about their bottom line, so they should never have been allowed to be the sole driving force behind energy policy (though they should have a voice and speak up if energy policy is OVERLY burdensome).

So, being that rational people on both sides of the aisle can see that some changes are in order, why shouldn't we force our representatives to start working together, at least on THIS issue. After all, Republicans and Democrats all have kids. I'd like the world I leave to my son to be a little better, not worse.

manu1959 said:
understand your position to be:

al's political commercial and the x-men are both films

both will make money

you say eventually 50 mil because of the limited realease scenario

you are not a liberal

yikes ya got us
That's all I've been trying to say. The movie is and will make money. For some reason, people are so partisan that they won't recognise reality.
red states rule said:
You just keep thinking people actually give a damn what Al Bore has to say.

You keep thinking this fantasy film is actually going to accomplish something

Who am I to bust your bubble? The movie stinks and it will fade faster then Jhn "I served in Viet Nam" Kerrys' war record
They give enough to prefer seeing it to X-Men 3, which is quickly becoming one of the highest grossing movies of all time, by a 2 to 1 margin when given the choice. That's more than significant.

I don't know whether the film will accomplish something. I really hope it does accomplish something, but that's not what I'm trying to say. I'm saying that your claim that the movie is failing fiscally is 1. wrong 2. stupid

I'm going to wait until I actually see the movie before passing judgment.

Mr.Conley said:
That's all I've been trying to say. The movie is and will make money. For some reason, people are so partisan that they won't recognise reality.

They give enough to prefer seeing it to X-Men 3, which is quickly becoming one of the highest grossing movies of all time, by a 2 to 1 margin when given the choice. That's more than significant.

I don't know whether the film will accomplish something. I really hope it does accomplish something, but that's not what I'm trying to say. I'm saying that your claim that the movie is failing fiscally is 1. wrong 2. stupid

I'm going to wait until I actually see the movie before passing judgment.

Have a good time. Given the numbers (avg ticket price $10) you should not have any crowd to fight and should be able to find a good seat

Please do not snore to loud during the film

Mr.Conley said:

glad to be of help

Mr.Conley said:
So you admit defeat.

Not at all. You go and have a good time. Keep the snoring to a minimum please

Make sure you ride your bike to the movie though

red states rule said:
Not at all. You go and have a good time. Keep the snoring to a minimum please

Make sure you ride your bike to the movie though

See your posts are totally unrelated to proving or disproving my argument. You obviously have nothing else to contribute to the debate so instead of hurling your puny insults please either admit that you are wrong or stop posting in this thread.

Forum List

Back