Airport Security, Mucking Forons!!!

AtlantaWalter

Nov 8, 2003
small cave outside Atlanta
Sooner or later, people will just refuse to fly because it's not worth the hassle to put up with people with 8th grade educations and a little power!!!!

Weapons in luggage will now bring hefty fines
By Laura Parker, USA TODAY
WASHINGTON — When Mojdeh Rohani flew home to Boston after her wedding last fall, security screeners at Baltimore-Washington International Airport found a silver-plated cake serving set in her carry-on bag. She had forgotten that she had the utensils, which were a wedding gift.
Officials allowed her to check the bag and take a later flight. She didn't think of the incident again — until she got a notice from the Transportation Security Agency, fining her $150 for her oversight.

"I wasn't told I could get fined for this," Rohani says. "There was no sign at the airport. I think $150 is a lot of money for something that wasn't intentional."

A year ago, the TSA quietly began assessing fines against airline passengers who violate security policies. But it wasn't until this week that it issued guidelines that specify which of the thousands of passengers who turn up every day with knives, box cutters and other banned items will be fined.

"Attitude" is listed among the "aggravating factors" that can result in a fine. Other criteria include the type of item, evidence of a passenger's intent and history of previous violations. Civil penalties now range from $250 to $10,000.

Passengers attempting to carry firearms on board, loaded or unloaded, face the highest civil penalties as well as possible criminal prosecution. Since February 2002, the TSA has seized more than 1,650 guns from airline passengers.

TSA spokesman Mark Hatfield said Thursday that he was unable to disclose the number of passengers who have been fined so far because the agency's legal department computers are temporarily inaccessible. The new guidelines were posted Wednesday on the agency's Web site.

At least 800 people had been fined through last October, according to a California lawyer who spoke with TSA's chief counsel on behalf of Susan Brown Campbell, a Los Angeles attorney who was fined $150 for having a steak knife in her briefcase. Campbell, who like Rohani was stopped at BWI, says she forgot she had the knife, which she used to cut apples and cheese.

Each day, the TSA intercepts more than 15,000 prohibited items at airports across the USA. Since February 2002, TSA has confiscated more than 3 million knives and more than 57,000 incendiary devices such as fireworks, TSA Assistant Administrator Tom Blank told Congress last week.

U.S. Rep. Peter DeFazio of Oregon, the ranking Democrat on the House aviation subcommittee, which oversees the TSA, questioned how the guidelines could be uniformly applied. "Where do they draw the line if they are confiscating that many items every day," he says. "Judging attitude is extraordinarily subjective. ... Unless they felt it was intentional, then the person should be given a warning."

DeFazio says he has arrived at airport checkpoints carrying his mustache scissors and has been allowed to mail them to himself. "The TSA could be in trouble for not equally applying the law," he says. "They didn't fine me for my mustache scissors, but they did fine someone else for a cake knife."

Campbell initially wanted to contest the fine in a hearing before an administrative judge.

"I got a call back from an attorney at TSA. He went on to be very, very intimidating, asking if I knew ... that the penalty could be up to $10,000," Campbell says. She asked for a hearing in Los Angeles; when it was scheduled for Baltimore she chose not to pursue it. But she hasn't paid the fine, and last week she got another notice from the TSA: The fine had been increased to $300.

I just flew this weekend, down to the American Renaissance conference outside of D.C. (pro-white gathering and speakers, fine time). Of course, I had to remove my shoes to get on the plane, as all of us seem to have to do nowadays. I always think, well, that's Jewish influence for you: were it not for them, we'd be flying safe. I always wonder how many other people understand this. Luckily, at the conference, most did. It's a shame more people don't see what's going on.

im a white hater now huh?
we got to get this one straight. im an equal oportunist. i hate everyone the same. doesnt matter the color. im anti everything

breath deep william...lets not hyper-ventilate...it too bad you blame all that ails the world on race...but its good to here that you got out of Ny for awhile..even if it was just to DC

Although I believe the security needs to stay tight, like it has been, carefully scrutinizing people and their items, including taking off their shoes, I believe that it's ridiculous that they're fining people for violating the rules many months in the past. If they're going to fine people, that's good, because they should be punished somehow, but the rules and potential fines should be listed clearly for everyone to see. I also don't believe that people can use the "oh, I didn't remember that was in there" excuse and get away with it, because it's just that...an excuse. Who is to say whether it really was forgotten or not? We, for hte protection of society, cannot be so careless and naive to just let that happen. I'm glad that they're confiscating everything illegal that has been found.

I'm glad that they're confiscating everything illegal that has been found.
arent they selling that crap on ebay or something like that?

welcome to the board too!

". I'm glad that they're confiscating everything illegal that has been found." (quote babygrlxlove)

I'm thinking that fingernail clippers and the toy rifle from a GI Joe doll might be pushing the envelope as far as "illegal" items go.
There used to be such a thing as common sense in this country.

BTW, welcome, welcome babygrlxlove!!!!! Good to have you here.

When I said that I'm glad they're confiscating illegal things, I didn't mean to THAT extent. By illegal things, I mean things that are ACTUALLY illegal or dangerous, like a big pair of scissors...I mean, who really needs them in their carry-on?! GI Joe stuff is a BIT much, but I meant things within the realm of common-sense illegal stuff.

I don't remember and I don't recall have been used time and time again throughout our history. either people forget things or they don't. If they don't then we need to go back to the iran contra hearings.

welcome to the board Bgirl

Originally posted by babygrlxlove
When I said that I'm glad they're confiscating illegal things, I didn't mean to THAT extent. By illegal things, I mean things that are ACTUALLY illegal or dangerous, like a big pair of scissors...I mean, who really needs them in their carry-on?! GI Joe stuff is a BIT much, but I meant things within the realm of common-sense illegal stuff.

I understood what you meant. It's just that you give a moron who was flipping burgers last week a security job at the airport and a wee bit of POWER and they show their ignorance and total lack of common sense. They probably think they are "cute" and have fun screwing with people when in actuality they are demonstrating their own ignorance. I remember reading last yaer where they confiscated a Medal of Honor from some old guy because they didn't know what it was but it was metal and looked dangerous. If I'd have been him, I'd have been put in jail for assault and battery on an idiot!!!! Another guy had been to a gun convention and had a pistol lapel pin that they took away because it was a GUN!!! No fucking common sense, just morons who can screw with people and make them miss their flights if they argue.

America used to be a great country!!!

"Since February 2002, the TSA has seized more than 1,650 guns ... more than 3 million knives and more than 57,000 incendiary devices such as fireworks."

Hell, imagine what was getting through pre-9/11!!!!

It is often taken to extreme though. Knitting needles taken from old ladies, inch long nail clippers, and so forth. Meanwhile 120 proof alcohol and cigarette lighters are still permitted....

And in First Class they get steak knives....

Some of the security procedures seems a little odd too. Like in Aussie when in transit. They scan everyone who gets off the plane before they enter the transit lounge but not before they get back on.
Meanwhile in Duty-Free you can buy a diggeridoo(sp?) which bears a stunning resemblence to a bloody big club (which along with walking canes are banned) :p:

Forum List

Back