Airforce or marines?

Im new to this and i would like to see if nebody could help me out with the pros and cons of USAF vs. USMC

First, take the A.S.V.A.B. , but DONT sign anything. You will be put under allot of pressure to do so. Take the test and go to recruter from all branches and see who has the best to offer. All branches have allot to offer thees days. Check them all out

But keep in mind when you talk to each recruiter, they have a quota to fill just like a car salesman. They will blow smoke up your ass to get you to sign on the dotted line. Not saying to avoid military service. I admire and respect our armed forces and have a nephew headed to his second tour in Afghanistan. When he signed up, he thought he was going to Alaska or South Korea. Uh-huh, sure.

Im new to this and i would like to see if nebody could help me out with the pros and cons of USAF vs. USMC

First, take the A.S.V.A.B. , but DONT sign anything. You will be put under allot of pressure to do so. Take the test and go to recruter from all branches and see who has the best to offer. All branches have allot to offer thees days. Check them all out

But keep in mind when you talk to each recruiter, they have a quota to fill just like a car salesman. They will blow smoke up your ass to get you to sign on the dotted line. Not saying to avoid military service. I admire and respect our armed forces and have a nephew headed to his second tour in Afghanistan. When he signed up, he thought he was going to Alaska or South Korea. Uh-huh, sure.

Bull shit.

His permanent duty station could be in Alaska or South Korea but in the Army you spend most of your time on deployment or in training, and you will hardly spend any time in Alaska or South Korea.

Good advice there. The other option is to go the officer route. Look at any of the service academies (USAFA for AF, USMA for army, USCGA for coasties, USNA for navy and marines) or start at a regular college (4 year) and look for your local OSO (officer selection office) after you begin.

ROTC or NROTC are good options too. If you meet the qualifications and get selected, your college is totally paid for plus a monthly stipend. You graduate an officer and serve the same number of years they paid for in college. The academies are much harder to get into.

Bull shit.

My son is a senior in high school. I've been to the recruiters with him and listened to their spiel. I have family and many friends who have been in the military or are active duty who have given me the heads up on recruiters. I even personally know a recruiter thru Scouting. My experience differs from your opinion. Their bottom line job is to get kids to sign up. Are they lying when they tell you about all the possibilities available to you? No. Can they promise you those when we have active wars on two fronts? No. When my nephew came home saying he was going to be driving trucks in either Alaska or South Korea, I told my wife he would end up in Afghanistan.......which is exactly where he went and is going again. He bought into the dog and pony show and received something else. Like I said earlier, I have nothing but respect and admiration for our armed forces, but these kids who are talking to recruiters need to walk into the situation with their eyes wide open. A recruiter is going to tell him all the cool stuff and little if any of the bad. What salesman is going to tell you that it's a great truck for four wheeling other than the lousy suspension?

He shouldn't have gone into it expecting to not deploy. Let this be an example of how you shouldn't even consider military service of any sort if you absolutely don't want to serve in a combat zone. You most likely will and nobody will have any sympathy for you if you have a problem with that.

Bull shit.

My son is a senior in high school. I've been to the recruiters with him and listened to their spiel. I have family and many friends who have been in the military or are active duty who have given me the heads up on recruiters. I even personally know a recruiter thru Scouting. My experience differs from your opinion. Their bottom line job is to get kids to sign up. Are they lying when they tell you about all the possibilities available to you? No. Can they promise you those when we have active wars on two fronts? No. When my nephew came home saying he was going to be driving trucks in either Alaska or South Korea, I told my wife he would end up in Afghanistan.......which is exactly where he went and is going again. He bought into the dog and pony show and received something else. Like I said earlier, I have nothing but respect and admiration for our armed forces, but these kids who are talking to recruiters need to walk into the situation with their eyes wide open. A recruiter is going to tell him all the cool stuff and little if any of the bad. What salesman is going to tell you that it's a great truck for four wheeling other than the lousy suspension?

I'm beginning to wonder about this guy anyway. Unless something has changed recently that I am unaware of, if one is familiar with the Marines one knows they don't call their battle dress/work uniforms BDUs, the Army does.

He shouldn't have gone into it expecting to not deploy. Let this be an example of how you shouldn't even consider military service of any sort if you absolutely don't want to serve in a combat zone. You most likely will and nobody will have any sympathy for you if you have a problem with that.

Deploying in the Military is like being a criminal and having to serve some time behind bars, it comes with the territory and is something to be expected. If you absolutely do not want to deploy, do not join the Military.

Last edited:
Bull shit.

I'm beginning to wonder about this guy anyway. Unless something has changed recently that I am unaware of, if one is familiar with the Marines one knows they don't call their battle dress/work uniforms BDUs, the Army does.

Huh ? And who the fuck are you that I have to impress ? Believe it or not, I dont give a damn.

Bull shit.

To a degree, there is some Pie in the Sky. My nephiews Recruter flat out told him that the first thing he will think when he gets to boot campo is "What the hell am I doing here" And the bonuses and all that are for real now. It is not easey, but its not as bad as it is made out to be.

Huh ? And who the fuck are you that I have to impress ? Believe it or not, I dont give a damn.

Impress? No. Be knowledgeable of military terms, specifically something as common usage as what Marines call their uniforms? If you were Navy, yes.

Last edited:

Impress? No. Be knowledgeable of military terms, specifically something as common usage as what Marines call their uniforms? If you were Navy, yes.

Who said I was in the Marines ? How about we post up DD214's ? Na, That is not wise. What Base were you on ? Was it Who needs ME ? Ware did you serve ?

Last edited:

Who said I was in the Marines ? How about we post up DD214's ? Na, That is not wise. What Base were you on ? Was it Who needs ME ? Ware did you serve ?

:eusa_eh: You need to get a grip.

Sadly, we lost two Airmen in Germany today. Shot dead by a 21 year old dirt bag from Kosovo.

Just goes to show that even when you think you may be in a safe duty station, anything can happen.

May they, RIP!:salute:

Forum List

Back