Air your issues, be heard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shattered said:
My only complaint is that I have seen *some* Mod bias, that I think is extremely unfair. Mods are not supposed to attack, but I frequently see one Mod specifically attacking 2 users at every single given opportunity..

Everything else here rocks.

Any attacks by a moderator should and will be addressed. I have asked the mods to lower the heat a bit when engaging in a debate, and to seek assistance from another mod should there be issues. They are free to lash back if someone attacks them, but I do expect them to hold themselves to a higher standard as a moderator and not abuse their power.

dilloduck said:
I was thinking of making one long post but I guess this thing will sorta grow on its own soooo---

1--It's a private board---yours--don't feel guilty to do whatever you want

2--Your original set up and rules are great----if someone wiggles thru the loopholes but are obviously pushing the limits just warn em a few times and then ban em----a reason is not necessary

3--I have no idea how your mod system works but it seems like you have a lot of em. If you do, then you have too many bosses for regulars to try to adjust to.

4--Mods should have no special status----just the right to warn. Any complaints about mods should go though you or a person you select.

5--Rep power should be limited to one point for everyone---even those with neg rep. People feel intimidated by mods with banning power and the ability to put a big slash in your rep.

6--Too much secrecy. I'm getting all these PMs asking me whats going on. ME?--I have absolutlely no idea but obviously something is happening "up there" because everyone knows it. May be filling us in might calm things down.

7--If a mod chooses to take on a debate they should be fair game for any response and be held responsible to the same rules as everyone else.

8--When in doubt, always resort to suggestion #1.

9--choose your assistants wisely and you may even want to call them assistants because that is really what thier function should be.

10--decide for yourself the real purpose for this board---(is it to make money, collect a large following,be a bastion of free speech?)--and then stick to it.

1- Thank you, that's exactly what I'm doing

2- Users who break the rules will be banned. Those who don't can remain. The mods and myself will decide when that line has been crossed.

3- There are 11 moderators and myself. With people posting throughout the day and night we would like to have ourselves covered. There are times when 4 or 5 mods are here together and times only one. I feel we have adequate coverage for the current size of the board.

4- Mods have special status as I trust them to look out for the best interest of the board. This includes warning, closing threads, moving threads and sometimes banning users. All complaints about mods should be directed to me.

5- I thought about removing the rep system but then decided against it. It's just a 'fun' tool that allows a little more interaction between members. It's not meant to be taken seriously. If someone is getting abused or feels there is a problem with the rep system, contact -=d=- or myself and we will have it stopped.

6- There isn't anything happening up 'here'. John has elected to leave the board. Everything else remains the same. Nothing is being hidden from the members that I am aware of.

7- I sort of covered this in my prior response. The rules still apply here. If a mod flames someone then they should expect it in return and not use their power as a debating tool. I'm hoping this won't be seen anymore with the mods, but should it happen they will be held to the same standards.

8- ok

9- I believe I have chosen wisely. I have much faith in the moderators I have chosen. We are human like everyone else, and always look to improve, but I think the mods normally work in the best interest of what I have asked them to.

10- The purpose of this board has been and always will be the same - to allow users the freedom of speech to engage in debate and have their point of views and opinions heard.

freeandfun1 said:
For what it is worth...

1) Too many mods know each other personally. Sets up and uneven playing field. When I say personally, I don't just mean on USMB. I mean off USMB too.

2) It should take more than one mod to be able to ban anybody.

3) Mods should be held to the same standard. They aren't. I've seen Mods flame but then threaten to ban if anybody flames them.

4) NOBODY should be allowed to have more than one ID. Not even Mods.

5) Perhaps a warning system should be established like I have seen on other boards. The warnings are not made public and if you recieve a certain points in the warning system, you automatically receive a time out and if it continues, the system automatically bans you. Here's an example of how one site does it:

Something along this line... can be modified.

6) Make some of th more articulate liberals Mods too so they can help reign in those libs that come in here just to start crap. The conservative mods are quick to jump on people like WJ, but we don't have a liberal Mod and so the libs are not able to "police themselves".

7) Decide what it is YOU want this site for, let everybody know and then let them decide if that is the kind of site they want to belong to.

1- I believe 2-3 of the mods know one another personally off the board but after that I believe everyone else has met here. I don't think the playing field is uneven, because I don't see it as 'mods against members'. Everyone should use and enjoy the board for the same reasons. I can be contacted directly if someone has an issue with a moderator or feel moderators are 'ganging' up on them.

2- It more or less does take more than one mod to ban anyone. I have authorized the mods to ban anyone that is a nuisance and has broken the rules - but I personally review EVERY ban. I have overturned quite a few bannings that I felt were unwarranted, and have left most in place. I try to give a fair shake to all that come here and I'm confident even a few liberals would vouch for that.

3- See prior posts. I will not tolerate a mod starting trouble then threatening members when they pounce back. I feel this problem was addressed with the mods and I don't expect to see this as an issue down the road.

4- Nobody is allowed a 2nd ID, mod or not. There are no duplicate moderators that I have detected and if I did they would face the same punishment as anyone else that tries to do the same.

5- There is a 'hack' for vBulletin that allows for moderator tools that perform similar functions that you speak of. I very well may implement that down the road, but I have neither the time nor the money right now to invest in another project.

6- I am VERY happy to announce that Isaac Brock has accepted a mod position with the board effective immediately. Yes, he's a liberal, but perhaps one of our smartest members, extremely well spoken and quite fair with everyone he encounters.

7- That's exactly what I'm doing right now. I feel this is best for the board but I'm not naive enough to believe I'll be pleasing everyone.

Trinity said:
I have a question for you Jim, why did you ban your own brother?

I have a question for you that you are free to answer via a direct PM to me.

What in the world thinks you are entitled to hear any damn explanation at all as to what happens between me and my family?

dilloduck said:
No I was merely suggesting we stick to the topic at hand rather than make snide comments about other posters. And I agree---what happened to your brother, Jim?

I'll reiterate my question to you, what makes you think I owe you an explanation as to what transpires in my family? This is about the USMB, not personal issues.

Trinity said:
Well considering Gabby doesn't really exist, I guess I don't feel to bad about my snide comments. Now let's see how long it takes before I get banned for this post!

She does exist, at least to those of us bright enough to speak with facts.

You won't be banned. I promised I would allow members to speak their minds and I plan on honoring that.

dilloduck said:
Gabby doesn't exist? Interesting.

I've addressed this elsewhere and countless times through various other avenues.

THERE IS EXACTLY ZERO PROOF TO BELIEVE GABBY IS ANYONE OTHER THAN SHE CLAIMS. BELIEVE ME, I'VE LOOKED INTO IT AND FOUND NO ISSUES.

I fel this was worth repeating for all to see once and for all.

Mr. P said:
Well Jim here's my part..Post #7, 8, 10 and 13 all have one thing in common, MODS.
All the comments made are true reflecting some Mods are a MAJOR problem.
It's time for a little selective house cleaning, or training, IMO.

I think Free hit a home run in post #13.

I am working with the moderators to make this a more pleasant place for everyone. I have no specific issues with any of the moderators. We all make mistakes from time to time, and the mods do as well. We usually correct ourselves and move on. It's just an online message board and these are who I have chosen to help me run things.

GotZoom said:
I have been on this board for just under 3 months and thoroughly enjoy it. I can certainly understand people being upset if ther are "fakes" posting on the board. Maybe I'm wierd, but I really don't care. I enjoy the banter. It makes your mind sharp and helps you refine you arguments and opinions for when you discuss them in face-to-face situations.

My only suggestions for change would be:

1. This was mentioned earlier. I have seen a few instances where a mod would make a point about something; someone would disagree, and there would be threats of banning. If anyone is above this, I would think it would be a mod. You are a mod, I assume, because you have shown yourself to be someone with integrity and a good head. To immediately threaten this kind of action because someone disagrees with you should be beneath you.

2. I don't think this is something the admin can fix but I still see it as a problem. Too many people take disagreement with their thoughts and posts as a personal attack upon their being. This is a discussion board. I said this in another post. If I say you are being stupid, I'm not saying you are stupid in life. You make a stupid statement, I will tell you I think it's stupid. I didn't say you were stupid so don't assume that and react accordingly. You came to this board, knowing what is is about. You know that there will be people with different ideas and thoughts. You know there will be people that disagree with you. So why are you suprised when it happens?

1- Agreed 100%. I have spoken with the mods and I don't believe we'll see this happen again.

2- Thank you, couldn't have said it better myself.

dilloduck said:
Will do------Jim, ban me if you want but I think the biggest problem with this board is all the arguing going on with you and those around you. I like the place a lot but if y'all can't get along up there you can't expect any of us "down" here to help you. I hope you can work it out to save the board for all those who love it.

There was one argument. One member decided to leave. There is no more arguing amongst mods that I am aware of. Not every mod thinks identically, but they are bright and mature enough to resolve through differences.

no1tovote4 said:
Jim has a strong group of Moderators backing him up. There are some I would go to with an issue (don't often get them as I simply can't get upset over words on a Messageboard), others that I wouldn't. Even the topmost position needs help in order to get things done...

Nobody can do it alone.

Thank you.

And the entire staff has helped me with this board throughout, with no pay of course. They assist because they like the board and would like to see it stay around.

Trinity said:
Now, one simple question people! I asked my brother
to do away with my connection to the board, he
refused! why? maybe something to do with the 13,000
plus post, it probably wont look too good!

The posts were in fact removed, and it ended up being a LOT more than 13,000. Not only does every post get deleted, but any THREAD started by a deleted user gets removed as well - that means every post after the initial post is gone as well. I have no idea how many posts altogether were removed, but I would guess around 30,000 or so?

krisy said:
I'm wondering why there is an "inner circle"on the board? Are some people more valuable and special to the board than other,or is it just basically a click? Just wondering. Some of things I am hearing are games my 10 year old wouldn't play on someone,and if true,I'm pretty disappointed. I always thought a lot of the board and really liked the people here,even the ones I disagree with. I don't think it's a big secret that some of the new characters are a bit wild,or almost taunting to get a response. I know some Libs do that,but they are regulars and I'm pretty sure they are real(Bullypulpit for example). Like I said,if any of this is true(and I'm sorry,but not fully convinced),it's makes the board as useless as talking to a wall.

My suggestion-quit playing games,it's backfiring.

It was never a game. THERE ARE hidden forums on this board. One was initially created for just a few people, and then they would ask if they could invite someone, and it sorta grew from there for a time. This practice was stopped when I offered the silver and gold memberships.

freeandfun1 said:
Not true. There is even a thread in inner circle where it is discussed on whom should be invited to join the inner circle.

From a thread in the inner circle...

Yes, it is true. Like I already stated, this all changed when the paid memberships were offered. I really don't appreciate you copying and pasting stuff from hidden areas of the board either.

krisy said:
Fair enough,but I know not everyone in their is a paid member,but it is jim's board. Maybe most but not everyone.

Of course not everyone is a paid member that is in there, there were plenty in there before the paid memberships were offered. Not one member has been admitted to that area by me without being a paid member since.

freeandfun1 said:
Frankly, all this rep crap is BULLSHIT... There Jimmy, there's a suggestion... get rid of it!

I discussed with the mods and we comtemplated eliminating the rep system but felt we should leave it in place as the members that use the system properly and enjoy it outnumber those who abuse it. Again, anyone should contact myself or -=d=- if they feel they are being abused via the rep system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back