Air your issues, be heard

Discussion in 'Announcements and Feedback' started by jimnyc, Jul 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    I want to know what the members have issues with here on the board. Criticism? Things you would like to see changed or added? Problem with the way the board is ran/moderated?

This is your chance to voice your opinion in a public venue. I'll leave this open for 3 days or so at which time I will lock the thread, then I'll respond to all inquiries or questions.

This is about the board overall and the direction for the future. This is not a thread to discuss issues with specific names. Let's keep this mature and allow all input and see if we can acoomodate or make changes to make this a better place for everyone.

2. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    So who will be the first to place their head on the public choppin block?..Not Mr. P..

This should be PM stuff Jim..

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Quite a few people have been pm'ing mods and admin. in the past couple of weeks. I think Jim is quite right to give everyone a chance to respond to the query, then Jim can answer in whatever manner he thinks is best.

Having mostly agreed with things around here, for nearly 2 years, on and off, :laugh: I will say he does not hold grudges for disagreeing with him and this will give him and all of us a chance to see what is working and what is not.

I'm sure there will not be repercussions to anything positive or negative posted, within the framework included in his post.

If you want changes, say so! You may not get them, but heh, that's life. If you like how things are going, ditto!

4. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    No, this shouldn't be PM stuff. And nobody will be on the chopping block for offering their opinion on what might be wrong with the board or for suggesting what might make it better.

I am publicly offering the members an opportunity to have their say in shaping this board as we move on. Nobody should have any fear in speaking up if they like this board and would like to continue coming here.

Although, if there is anyone that would prefer to PM me their thoughts, I will obviously listen via that avenue as well. But I would rather it all be in one spot where everyone can witness the points getting addressed.

5. Mr. P

Mr. P Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +618
    Thanks, I'm smart enough to sit this one out.

6. jimnyc

jimnyc ...

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +246
    What you're smart about in this situation eludes me. If you, or anyone, fear retaliation for posting your thoughts about the structure of the board, you are mistaken. That's ok if you choose not to participate but I don't want there to be any doubt in the minds of those that might want to speak up and see some changes made.

7. archangel

archangel Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    I believe moderators should limit their posts...and when they do post they should refrain from exercising ban authority...it is not fair to those who do not have the power...Iv'e noticed that alot of people figure out how to pat the mods on the back in order to receive positive points...and some who lose control and speak out against a mods posts... they risk being banned...so if mods could no longer ban for comments they receive on their posts...it would level the playing field....just a comment...hope it helps.
    ps: I will admit to patronizing mods from time to time...sometimes for fun...sometimes for points...sometimes to keep from getting negatives and sometimes because they deserved it...guess we all are human!

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Shattered

Shattered Guest

Ratings:
    +0
    My only complaint is that I have seen *some* Mod bias, that I think is extremely unfair. Mods are not supposed to attack, but I frequently see one Mod specifically attacking 2 users at every single given opportunity..

Everything else here rocks.

9. Said1

Said1 VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +937
    Those shy about sugggestions might feel more confident if others offer their opinion first. This isn't personal, it's supposed to benefit everyone.

Also, Comrade needs to post more. Just My humble opinion. :D

10. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    I was thinking of making one long post but I guess this thing will sorta grow on its own soooo---

1--It's a private board---yours--don't feel guilty to do whatever you want

2--Your original set up and rules are great----if someone wiggles thru the loopholes but are obviously pushing the limits just warn em a few times and then ban em----a reason is not necessary

3--I have no idea how your mod system works but it seems like you have a lot of em. If you do, then you have too many bosses for regulars to try to adjust to.

4--Mods should have no special status----just the right to warn. Any complaints about mods should go though you or a person you select.

5--Rep power should be limited to one point for everyone---even those with neg rep. People feel intimidated by mods with banning power and the ability to put a big slash in your rep.

6--Too much secrecy. I'm getting all these PMs asking me whats going on. ME?--I have absolutlely no idea but obviously something is happening "up there" because everyone knows it. May be filling us in might calm things down.

7--If a mod chooses to take on a debate they should be fair game for any response and be held responsible to the same rules as everyone else.

8--When in doubt, always resort to suggestion #1.

9--choose your assistants wisely and you may even want to call them assistants because that is really what thier function should be.

10--decide for yourself the real purpose for this board---(is it to make money, collect a large following,be a bastion of free speech?)--and then stick to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.