Air force or Marines?

This is one thing I will agree on with the Marines, while marching is not something the Navy is noted for or for that matter spends a lot of time doing, I don't think the Marines care much about that when they are calling that Navy Aviator to give them Close Air Support or care much about those Navy marching skills when that Navy SAR crewman is pulling that Marine out of the drink or yelling for that Navy Corpsman. While all those marching skills teach teamwork and look real nice on a grinder or passing in review I sure hope you Marine types are not using that as a argument here as one more reason for that young to join the Marines.

Nope. We've hijacked the thread and interjected you into it.:lol:

And no, I really don't care how well you march. One, I'd probably put myself in for a psych eval if I ever saw any squids actually marching ... in cadence.:eek:

Two, your reasons are exactly right. CAS is my friend. So is the Doc. Never needed SAR.

The purpose of close order drill is to provide simple formations from which combat formations can readily be assumed

move large numbers of troops from one place to another in an orderly manner

provide troops the opportunity to handle individual weapons

instill discipline through immediate precise response to orders

and to instill confidence in leaders by allowing them the opportunity to give commands and drill troops.

In other words, it's not just for the parade.

Nope. We've hijacked the thread and interjected you into it.:lol:

And no, I really don't care how well you march. One, I'd probably put myself in for a psych eval if I ever saw any squids actually marching ... in cadence.:eek:

Two, your reasons are exactly right. CAS is my friend. So is the Doc. Never needed SAR.

The purpose of close order drill is to provide simple formations from which combat formations can readily be assumed

move large numbers of troops from one place to another in an orderly manner

provide troops the opportunity to handle individual weapons

instill discipline through immediate precise response to orders

and to instill confidence in leaders by allowing them the opportunity to give commands and drill troops.

In other words, it's not just for the parade.

laughs, well I will save you the effort on the eval Gunny, the last Marine that made a comment on Navy drilling skills, told me my marching skills made me look like a "shitbird flapping its wings" was the exact quote, stuck with me. So that was my motivation for going into Navy Aviation,to at least make up for the flapping part.

As for the reasons for Marching, your exactly right and you will pardon my short version of the definition as while I knew the reasons for marching, as a Navy Aviator I didn't spend too much time in deep contemplation on the matter. My experience with the Marine Corps was actually a very close one, as I once had a Marine describe my A-6 as the ugliest damn aricraft he had ever had the chance to be up close to but the most beautiful one to see comming over the horizon.

laughs, well I will save you the effort on the eval Gunny, the last Marine that made a comment on Navy drilling skills, told me my marching skills made me look like a "shitbird flapping its wings" was the exact quote, stuck with me. So that was my motivation for going into Navy Aviation,to at least make up for the flapping part.

As for the reasons for Marching, your exactly right and you will pardon my short version of the definition as while I knew the reasons for marching, as a Navy Aviator I didn't spend too much time in deep contemplation on the matter. My experience with the Marine Corps was actually a very close one, as I once had a Marine describe my A-6 as the ugliest damn aricraft he had ever had the chance to be up close to but the most beautiful one to see comming over the horizon.

Everybody thought the A-6 was the ugliest damn aircraft they ever saw.:badgrin:

You wouldn't hear me critiquing your ride though. I'm not much on looking gifthorses in the mouth.

I'd suggest the Navy, but I am biased. Try to get into languages, get the recruiter to get in you for the DLAB (Defense Language Aptitude Battery), if you score well there is no better job in the military IMO. Again it may just be my own bias.

Good people. But I'd suggest the Navy or the Marines depending on what you are interested in. Skip the Air Force.

SO which one is better?
Give me pro's and con's

Asking a vet which service is better (especially the ones on this board) will get you the types of answers you have been getting.... based personal pride of service. Each service has its good and bad points. In the end, you have to decide which (if any) is best for you. Welcome to adulthood! This is one of those decisions adults have to make which have long term repercussions (good and bad).

Asking a vet which service is better (especially the ones on this board) will get you the types of answers you have been getting.... based personal pride of service. Each service has its good and bad points. In the end, you have to decide which (if any) is best for you. Welcome to adulthood! This is one of those decisions adults have to make which have long term repercussions (good and bad).

I have made my decision i just want to know what all of you think. USAF

Don't be coy. If you like arguing with Marines and driving them all over the world just to ensure they share your misery in tin cans bobbing in the water, join the Navy!:lol:

What a load of crap.

I kept asking for sea duty. I was, after all, in the freaking NAV.

But what did I get?

The only sea-duty I saw in my tour was bobbing around in-troops ship with the freakin' Marines waiting for our chance to storm the beaches of SoCA.

So if you want really go to sea to see the world?

Don't take any chances....buy a yacht.

What a load of crap.

But what did I get?

The only sea-duty I saw in my tour was bobbing around in-troops ship with the freakin' Marines waiting for our chance to storm the beaches of SoCA.

HAHA!!:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

LOL...well, I bet Gunny thinks the Marines are the best and Navy's posting name says it all, as does my avatar. The rest are the same.

I find it strange that no "anti-military" folks posted telling you not to even consider joining ANY service.

LOL...well, I bet Gunny thinks the Marines are the best and Navy's posting name says it all, as does my avatar. The rest are the same.

I find it strange that no "anti-military" folks posted telling you not to even consider joining ANY service.

"Anti-military" folks would just be ignored because i have always wanted to join the military and no one could talk me out of it. I might have been confused about what branch but the incentive was always there

What a load of crap.

But what did I get?

Tsk tsk ... probably shouldn't have gone to FMF Corpsman school. Don't know, but there IS a clue in the title.:lol:

You made the right choice kid, just go enlisted and stay enlisted don't be an officer. Mr Bass is an AF officer and if he had to do it again he would have went in enlisted as opposed to dealing with all these snobbish, uppity officers who take credit when its the NCOs who actually run things. We'e supposed to sign paperwork and support the NCOs, not tell them how to do their job.

You made the right choice kid, just go enlisted and stay enlisted don't be an officer. Mr Bass is an AF officer and if he had to do it again he would have went in enlisted as opposed to dealing with all these snobbish, uppity officers who take credit when its the NCOs who actually run things. We'e supposed to sign paperwork and support the NCOs, not tell them how to do their job.

That's ANY service's officers. It's devalued the enlisted rank structure.

Can't believe we agree on something, Charles.

However, if I had it to do again knowing what I know now, I think I'd go for one of the several opportunities I passed to become an officer since I spent most of my 20 carrying one around on my back. If I'm going to do his job, might as well get paid for it.

Oh, and did you miss the part where your boy's in the USMC DEP? :lol:

Forum List

Back