Air Force getting bids for defensive lasers on fighter jets

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
QuoteThe US Air Force (USAF) has issued a request for proposals (RFP) related to its efforts to field a laser-based self-protection system for its tactical combat aircraft. The laser will be housed in a supersonic flight-capable pod to be developed under the Laser Pod Research and Development (LPRD) contract. The RFP, posted by the Air Force...

Next Big Future: Air Force getting bids for defensive lasers on fighter jets

Lasers would be a lot cheaper then bullets and missiles.

• Banned

The objective of LANCE is to perform research and development activities necessary to design, fabricate, and deliver a reliable, ruggedised high-power laser (with excellent beam quality and compact design) for integration within an aerodynamic integrating structure for use during flight testing on tactical aircraft for self-defence research during Phase II of the Self-protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) Advanced Technology Demonstration (ATD)

High-power laser capabilities will be demonstrated during Phase II of the SHiELD ATD. The specific objectives of the laser subsystem are to:
1) develop/enhance innovative state-of-the-art laser designs, fabrication techniques, and operating approaches;
2) design/build a compact, ruggedized high-power laser that minimizes beam quality degradation under the stressing flight conditions of high performance tactical aircraft;
3) quantify performance of the subsystem to include key laser parameters (e.g. laser output power, electrical-to-optical efficiency, power stability, beam jitter, power in the bucket) under representative flight conditions; and
4) support integration of the laser subsystem within SHiELD's aerodynamic integrated structure while maintaining laser performance during test and demonstration.

This is fucking cool! I now agree that the Military funding should be increased slightly!

QuoteThe US Air Force (USAF) has issued a request for proposals (RFP) related to its efforts to field a laser-based self-protection system for its tactical combat aircraft. The laser will be housed in a supersonic flight-capable pod to be developed under the Laser Pod Research and Development (LPRD) contract. The RFP, posted by the Air Force...

We SHOULD have lasers on our second generation space shuttle for getting rid of space junk.

The objective of LANCE is to perform research and development activities necessary to design, fabricate, and deliver a reliable, ruggedised high-power laser (with excellent beam quality and compact design) for integration within an aerodynamic integrating structure for use during flight testing on tactical aircraft for self-defence research during Phase II of the Self-protect High Energy Laser Demonstrator (SHiELD) Advanced Technology Demonstration (ATD)

High-power laser capabilities will be demonstrated during Phase II of the SHiELD ATD. The specific objectives of the laser subsystem are to:
1) develop/enhance innovative state-of-the-art laser designs, fabrication techniques, and operating approaches;
2) design/build a compact, ruggedized high-power laser that minimizes beam quality degradation under the stressing flight conditions of high performance tactical aircraft;
3) quantify performance of the subsystem to include key laser parameters (e.g. laser output power, electrical-to-optical efficiency, power stability, beam jitter, power in the bucket) under representative flight conditions; and
4) support integration of the laser subsystem within SHiELD's aerodynamic integrated structure while maintaining laser performance during test and demonstration.

This is fucking cool! I now agree that the Military funding should be increased slightly!
But your a democrat, you like perverts in little girls bathrooms.

We SHOULD have lasers on our second generation space shuttle for getting rid of space junk.
So far the tech issue is from turbulence. The focus mirrors get out of whack during flight. If they solve this issue, it is the only thing between this tech and viability! I hope they solve it!

So far the tech issue is from turbulence. The focus mirrors get out of whack during flight. If they solve this issue, it is the only thing between this tech and viability! I hope they solve it!
I have spent some time working on the issue myself, to no avail! If any one can solve it is my boy Ernie, he will defeat it if he lives long enough. He is sitting in his barn right now working on it!

The Navy is looking to put them on sharks. Their heads specifically.

That would be interesting. Of course, how would you control the sharks?
You have much bigger problems than controlling sharks with that idea! Does any one know any thing about science, like water refracts light?
Refraction would be no problem. Besides being able to control sharks, the real problem is the murkiness of ocean water, which would scatter the light before it got very far. It would loose most of it's power after a few dozen meters.

That would be interesting. Of course, how would you control the sharks?
You have much bigger problems than controlling sharks with that idea! Does any one know any thing about science, like water refracts light?
Refraction would be no problem. Besides being able to control sharks, the real problem is the murkiness of ocean water, which would scatter the light before it got very far. It would loose most of it's power after a few dozen meters.
Just what do you think refraction is? Scatering of the light there by causing loss in strength. I think you are also missing how the laser is constructed and trying to fit that on a shark among other issues. I tell you what you figure out how to put it on sharks I will contiue with the turbulence issue.

Uber cool

bb4.jpg

What is the power source? Are they a pop-up weapon or are they meant for use under water?
Iodine capsules are the power source and a high powered laser would not fit on a shark It will not and can not work under todays designs and there is the whole water issue of refraction and absoption. It is fantasy, no one is putting real money in such a sceme!

Forum List

Back