Air Force Cadets See Religious Harassment

5stringJeff

Sep 15, 2003
Puyallup, WA
Part of me just wishes the AF Academy would straighten itself the hell up - it makes the other academies look bad.

Another part of me is saddened that Christians would make such remarks.

Another part of me is upset at the one-sidedness of the story.

-----------------------
By ROBERT WELLER, Associated Press Writer

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. - Less than two years after it was plunged into a rape scandal, the Air Force Academy is scrambling to address complaints that evangelical Christians wield so much influence at the school that anti-Semitism and other forms of religious harassment have become pervasive.

There have been 55 complaints of religious discrimination at the academy in the past four years, including cases in which a Jewish cadet was told the Holocaust was revenge for the death of Jesus and another was called a Christ killer by a fellow cadet.

The 4,300-student school recently started requiring staff members and cadets to take a 50-minute religious-tolerance class.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20050419/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/academy_religion

gop_jeff said:
Part of me just wishes the AF Academy would straighten itself the hell up - it makes the other academies look bad.

Another part of me is saddened that Christians would make such remarks.

Another part of me is upset at the one-sidedness of the story.

-----------------------
By ROBERT WELLER, Associated Press Writer

AIR FORCE ACADEMY, Colo. - Less than two years after it was plunged into a rape scandal, the Air Force Academy is scrambling to address complaints that evangelical Christians wield so much influence at the school that anti-Semitism and other forms of religious harassment have become pervasive.

There have been 55 complaints of religious discrimination at the academy in the past four years, including cases in which a Jewish cadet was told the Holocaust was revenge for the death of Jesus and another was called a Christ killer by a fellow cadet.

The 4,300-student school recently started requiring staff members and cadets to take a 50-minute religious-tolerance class.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20050419/ap_on_go_ca_st_pe/academy_religion

My brother in law graduated from there and taught there---he calls em a bunch of in-breds.

gop_jeff said:
Like they'll be able to defeat 18-20 years of brainwashing with a 50-minute class.

MissileMan said:
Like they'll be able to defeat 18-20 years of brainwashing with a 50-minute class.

What exactly are you calling "brainwashing?"

And are you aware that the military has been giving 50-minute training classes for sexual harassment for years?

gop_jeff said:
What exactly are you calling "brainwashing?"

And are you aware that the military has been giving 50-minute training classes for sexual harassment for years?

I'm pretty sure that the number of people who were raised to believe that groping and bottom pinching were acceptable behavior is pretty small, so a 50-minute class to explain what's acceptable and what's not would probably be sufficient in most cases.

Having concepts like intolerance, racism, etc. drummed into kids' heads over their entire childhoods would constitute brainwashing in my book. And would take considerably more effort to break.

MissileMan said:
Having concepts like intolerance, racism, etc. drummed into kids' heads over their entire childhoods would constitute brainwashing in my book. And would take considerably more effort to break.

Aside from William Joyce, are such concepts drummed into kid's heads any more? I mean, public schools are paragons of political correctness, so wouldn't such ideas be nearly extinct by now?

BTW, I'm not trying to argue for intolerance, racism, etc. I just don't see where it's being preached on a daily basis.

gop_jeff said:
Aside from William Joyce, are such concepts drummed into kid's heads any more? I mean, public schools are paragons of political correctness, so wouldn't such ideas be nearly extinct by now?

BTW, I'm not trying to argue for intolerance, racism, etc. I just don't see where it's being preached on a daily basis.

You don't see it taught institutionally anymore, but I'll guarantee that there are thousands of kids getting a daily dose at home.

MissileMan said:
You don't see it taught institutionally anymore, but I'll guarantee that there are thousands of kids getting a daily dose at home.

...worse...I'd speculate hundreds of thousands are being brainwashed into thinking:

Homosexuality is perfectly normal and natural
Throwing Money at social issues 'fixes' them
Women and Men are the same

-=d=- said:
...worse...I'd speculate hundreds of thousands are being brainwashed into thinking:

And that, at school, at taxpayer expense!

-=d=- said:

So by your reasoning, it's worse that someone gets taught to accept another individual who is homosexual or teaching that men and women should have equal rights than it is to teach someone to hate all non-whites. :poop:

MissileMan said:
So by your reasoning, it's worse that someone gets taught to accept another individual who is homosexual or teaching that men and women should have equal rights than it is to teach someone to hate all non-whites. :poop:

www.hop.com

Please visit that site...order and use their products...come back re-read what I replied with, then form a logical reply if needed.

-=d=- said:
www.hop.com

Please visit that site...order and use their products...come back re-read what I replied with, then form a logical reply if needed.

If you can interpret what you wrote any other way, please explain it.

MissileMan said:
If you can interpret what you wrote any other way, please explain it.

If I were speaking, it'd be slowly:

Homosexuality is NOT perfectly normal and natural
Throwing Money at social issues Does NOT 'fix' them
Women and Men are NOT the same

You took what I wrote...read it...filtered it through whatever filter you use, and suggested I wrote "It's good to hate gay people, and men and women should not have equal rights.."

I wrote NOTHING close to what you suggested.

-=d=- said:
If I were speaking, it'd be slowly:

Homosexuality is NOT perfectly normal and natural
Throwing Money at social issues Does NOT 'fix' them
Women and Men are NOT the same

You took what I wrote...read it...filtered it through whatever filter you use, and suggested I wrote "It's good to hate gay people, and men and women should not have equal rights.."

I wrote NOTHING close to what you suggested.

What you wrote was "worse" (than kids being given daily doses of racial hate, etc.) "is kids being taught that homosexuality is normal", etc.

You alleged that a kid being taught homosexuality is ok is worse than a kid being taught racial hatred. I did not suggest you said it was ok, but that you wrote you thought it was worse.

MissileMan said:
What you wrote was "worse" (than kids being given daily doses of racial hate, etc.) "is kids being taught that homosexuality is normal", etc.

You alleged that a kid being taught homosexuality is ok is worse than a kid being taught racial hatred. I did not suggest you said it was ok, but that you wrote you thought it was worse.

I think it's 'worse' that kids are taught the things I listed...yes. I think I'd be hardpressed to decide if I were forced to send my kid to a racist family for a summer, or a homosexual family.

Forum List

Back