"Ain't it awful"

Nice red herring C...Frank. Stay on point an answer these questions: After 2/26/93, how many troops died in response to WTC attack #1; and how much treasure did Clinton squander in response to WTC attack #1?
Next Question: How much safer our we today, as a direct consequence of Mr. Bush's War on Terror?
BTW, wouldn't someone whose house burned down make sure to take precautions in the future?

We are quite a bit safer with the policies booooooooooosh implemented.

You are a pre 9/11 fool. You want to go back to reacting to attacks instead of stopping them before they happen.

In short, a liberal. A liberal, like today's current moonbats that are not to be trusted with nat'l security.

Might as well open a bar and hire Cindy Sheehan as your bouncer.

Ah, the name calling has begun; how typical. Rational responses will be addressed; emotional ones, hysterical ones and silly name calling will be ignored.
We are safer because we have not been attacked again? Prove a negative, it is very hard.
As to my grammar, or use of language, I'm proficient, not perfect. Though when I write to or for an audience of substance, I do read over my words, edit, spell check and rewrite. In this forum, why?
Well, I'm off to buy a Washing Machine for my youngest; the one in his condo has gone bye bye. Later I will review this thread to see what names I've been called and enjoy reading the usual talking points sans evidence - the heart of neoconservative 'thought'.

Just once it would be nice if someone, anyone, who defines themselve as a conservative would define a serious problems (such as health care) and suggest real world solutions.

I am not a conservative but will nevertheless accept your invitation.

Healthcare has been regulated by the government since 1840.

But , in spite of that, it was substantially affordable before 1965, before the Medicare/Medicaid wet into effect.

Accordingly, the answer, my friend, is blowin' in the wind, ....get government at all levels the fuck out of healthcare

Let the invisible hand of the FREE MARKET regulate healthcare or forever hold your peace and pay the consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The free market can do a good job in many industries but it has draw backs.

Look what the free market did to the financial markets.

To increase profits the free market insurance companies deny access to higher risk individuals. You cannot blame them. The high risk and high cost individuals are then dumped on the government. (us) The government subsidizes the profits of private insurance companies by taking on the people they refuse to insure.

The government could refuse to take these individuals on but no country in the world does.

Nice red herring C...Frank. Stay on point an answer these questions: After 2/26/93, how many troops died in response to WTC attack #1; and how much treasure did Clinton squander in response to WTC attack #1?
Next Question: How much safer our we today, as a direct consequence of Mr. Bush's War on Terror?
BTW, wouldn't someone whose house burned down make sure to take precautions in the future?

I can't answer the first part but I can respond to the second, first with a question of my own then the answer.
1. Are you intel? If not then you honestly have no actual idea whether we are safer or not, only an uninformed opinion based on (sic) expert and media talking points.
2. Not necessarily, here's why. Bush II inherited a military and Intel community that had been essentually cut in half. (The cuts started after the Cold War by Bush Sr (at the end of his presidency)and accelerated and intensified during the Clinton years). Most moneys for Intel were funneled towards wire and away from Humanit (Humanit is much more expensive). Hell the CIA were using mostly old, outdated 386 and 486 computers with as few as 12 people per computer. Their intranet was so antiquated most had to use personal encrypted e-mail to pass info back and forth. Was Bush II responsible for this state of affairs? No, he started to correct it immediatly. Considering the changes going on in world politics and international relations after the Cold War was Bush I and Clinton complicit? Yes but not criminally, they both were acting/reacting to the needs of the moment and lacking any ability to read the future (no suthsayers in the White House) they proceeded along what appeared a logical course for the time.

Ringel05,
I'm unsure who you addressed in your post above, but I will respond.
I am sure of one thing, we are no safer today than we were on Sept. 10, 2001 or Feb. 25, 1993 - the world is a dangerous place and each day we do nothing to ease tensions it becomes less safe.
We will never be safe, there are always risks and dangers. Both can be mitigated but never eliminated, and that is the point I'd like to make.
Bush II exacerbated the tensions and thus created greater animus towards our nation by the peoples in the ME. He and those who served in his administration, in particular Cheney and Bolton, are bullies. They operate with the mind set that might makes right and the end (as defined by their jingoistic ideology) is justifed by what ever means benefits the United States. Worse, the United States, in the minds of neoconservatives, is not our people, or our Constitution, or even the rule of law; rather, it is business, profit, wealth and power.
If not for oil why would we care if the Iraqi people suffer under dictatorship? Are we the police force for the world? Sen. Goldwater (a REAL conservative) thought not.
But I digress. The only way to mitigate the hate against us is to understand why we are hated, and to change our behavior. That does not mean we surrender to terror, or cower in the face of adversity, it simply means we think of new ways to interact with others who share the world with us.
There's time to kick some ass and time to make peace; we need wise leaders who are strong, not bullies too dumb to know the difference.

Last edited:
Ringel05,
I'm unsure who you addressed in your post above, but I will respond.
I am sure of one thing, we are no safer today than we were on Sept. 10, 2001 or Feb. 25, 1993 - the world is a dangerous place and each day we do nothing to ease tensions it becomes less safe.
We will never be safe, there are always risks and dangers. Both can be mitigated but never eliminated, and that is the point I'd like to make.
Bush II exacerbated the tensions and thus created greater animus towards our nation by the peoples in the ME. He and those who served in his administration, in particular Cheney and Bolton, are bullies. They operate with the mind set that might makes right and the end (as defined by their jingoistic ideology) is justifed by what ever means benefits the United States. Worse, the United States, in the minds of neoconservatives, is not our people, or our Constitution, or even the rule of law; rather, it is business, profit, wealth and power.
If not for oil why would we care if the Iraqi people suffer under dictatorship? Are we the police force for the world? Sen. Goldwater (a REAL conservative) thought not.
But I digress. The only way to mitigate the hate against us is to understand why we are hated, and to change our behavior. That does not mean we surrender to terror, or cower in the face of adversity, it simply means we think of new ways to interact with others who share the world with us.
There's time to kick some ass and time to make peace; we need wise leaders who are strong, not bullies too dumb to know the difference.

Sorry, I was responding to you. Your response answered my first question, no you're not Intel and yes (unfortunately) you are responding with regurgitated (sic) expert opinions and media talking points.
Blaming Bush II, et. al. for why we are hated is a modernist cop out (not defending Bush per se). Understanding of cultural norms/pardigms/economies, basic human nature and historical resentment of peoples against "the big dog on the block" has more to do with the problem. Realizing that there are many peoples out there who's intire goal is to destroy us and all we believe in plus the economic push and pull between nations means your statement concerning mitigating hate is pollyannish at best. It has no basis in cold hard reality.
Yes we do need strong/wise leaders though we haven't had any for a while, including the current one.

A real world solution to national security? That's pretty easy. Where are the threats, and why are we threatened? Once defined, enlightened leaders can structure a foreign policy appropriately. We can refrain from calling our adversaries evil, seek common goals and work towards peaceful and mutually beneficial solutions.
You know, it's not as if a terrorist attack on our country was unexpected, it was the stuff of novels and made for TV movies for years before 9/11.
George W. Bush did nothing to prevent 9/11 and his actions subsequently have only exacerbated terrorism world wide. Rather than strengthen our defenses, Mr. Bush has squandered them, along with the lives of over 4,500 members of our armed forces.
Jingos, because that's what today's conservatives are, see the world through a very narrow lens, I suspect, because at their core they are scared. Fear of those who look different, worship a different way, fear of change, and especially fear of ideas that challenge them to question their beliefs.

Yeah, we did that after the first WTC attack.

How'd that work out for us?

It worked rather well, the perps are in prison for life. Did you ever wondered why the WTC was a target just 36 days after Clinton assumed office? Or have you ever considered the phrase, "fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me"? Simple little things but the consequences of not thinking critically are huge.
Jingos, as I think of neoconservatives, are too narrow of mind and too arrogant to govern or to debate. Consider the posts above, one, suggests I'm too lazy to work and expect a handout - she's wrong on both counts - and another who implies the policies of George W. Bush in reaction to the WTC attack of 9/11 were superior to that of Clinton's reaction to 2/26.
What evidence is supplied to support the later assertion? None. There never is evidence supplied to support neoconservative ideology, it is all based on emotion of which hate and fear are two of their favorites.

Really? Perps?

World Trade Center, 1993 Terrorist Attack: Information from Answers.com

Conviction—and continuing questions. The trail of investigation would eventually lead to Ramzi Yousef, who authorities believe was in the van that delivered the explosives to the WTC. With him was Eyad Ismoil. Also implicated in the bombing, along with Salemeh and Ayad, were Ahmad Ajaj, Mahmoud Abouhalima, and Abdul Rahman Yasin. On March 4, 1994, a jury found Salemeh, Ajaj, Abouhalima, and Ayad guilty on 38 counts, including murder and conspiracy, and the judge handed down multiple life sentences.

Yousef fled the country, and engaged in other terror plots before he was captured and brought to the United States from Pakistan in February 1995. He was sentenced to life plus 240 years. As of 2003, Yasin had not been captured, and was believed to be in Iraq. In October 1995, Sheikh Omar Abdel Rahman, a blind Egyptian cleric who taught at mosques in Brooklyn and New Jersey, was sentenced to life imprisonment for masterminding the attack. But some observers wonder whether the roots of the 1993 WTC attack run much deeper.

The fact that Yousef is the nephew of Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, a top figure in al-Qaeda, suggests a strong connection between the 1993 conspirators and the group who ultimately brought down the towers eight years later. After the September 2001, attack, it was the opinion of many investigators and analysts inside President George W. Bush's administration, that the perpetrators of that attack had a state sponsor—Iraq.
A number of details, including the fact that Yousef was traveling on an Iraqi passport, as well as the date of the 1993 attack—the second anniversary of the U.S. liberation of Kuwait in the Persian Gulf War—furthered suspicions of Iraqi involvement in the 1993 incident. Mohammed was later involved in masterminding the terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center in 2001, and was arrested in Rawalpindi, Pakistan on March 1, 2003....

• Thanks
Reactions: 007
Yes Annie, it worked rather well. Perfect, no, but little in life is. I stand by my post wherein I suggest Bush&Co (and the neoconservative ideology spelled out in Project for a New American Century) is wrongheaded and has made us less safe. That said, I agree thourghly with Ringel05 when he criticizes me for a "Modernistic" cop out.
In response I defend myself by admitting Bush was only the latest of three generations to fail to understand the culture; mistakes were made in 1920 when GB was given control of Iraq by the League of Nations and by each and every President of the United States and PM of the UK since that time.
The why is easy: OIL. But this is not the place for a history lesson, it is the place for a discussion on "what now".
As I stated, Bush&Co made matters worse; Obama has changed course, to use an old metaphor; sadly, the conservative wing of the Republican Party wants to put us back on the course that lead us to where we are today.

Yes Annie, it worked rather well. Perfect, no, but little in life is. I stand by my post wherein I suggest Bush&Co (and the neoconservative ideology spelled out in Project for a New American Century) is wrongheaded and has made us less safe. That said, I agree thourghly with Ringel05 when he criticizes me for a "Modernistic" cop out.
In response I defend myself by admitting Bush was only the latest of three generations to fail to understand the culture; mistakes were made in 1920 when GB was given control of Iraq by the League of Nations and by each and every President of the United States and PM of the UK since that time.
The why is easy: OIL. But this is not the place for a history lesson, it is the place for a discussion on "what now".
As I stated, Bush&Co made matters worse; Obama has changed course, to use an old metaphor; sadly, the conservative wing of the Republican Party wants to put us back on the course that lead us to where we are today.

I think you'd be surprised, I agree the ultra-right-wing (Neo-cons as many label them) do seem to want a continuation of the same path you are objecting to. Typical conservatives (Republican, Libertarians and independents) I believe have learned some lessons along the way. Granted there is still the "big stick" mentality though moderated once again with "speak softly" approach.
To be honest Bush & Co did not specifically make matters worse so much as their actions (and miss-actions) brought it out of the darkness, an unwanted but ultimately unavoidable circumstance. As this happened more media attention is focused, we are inundated with information, people's perceptions are molded (based on their own personal paradigms) by what they see and hear, sides are drawn and suddenly everything looks bleak.
(Ask yourself this: What is it the news media sells, what's their motivation - clue: follow the money).
Don't misunderstand, did our actions provide a rich source of recruitment for our enemies, temporarily yes but if not then something else would eventually occur insuring the same situation, it was an occurrence waiting to happen.
The main problem is this - the enemy acts, we respond, he acts, we respond, we learn how to counter, he changes/adapts tactics and acts, we respond/learn/change tactics and counter, he starts utilizing multiple tactics, we find ways to counter. It's a vicious cycle.
While invading Iraq was not the smartest thing we ever did, it did have one positive side effect (if you could call it that). It eventually focused our enemies efforts and assets primarily in one place, a key tactic in destroying or weakening your enemy to a point where it is difficult if not impossible to continue the fight. The other problem is we committed ourselves to a fight (Iraq) that took assets away from what we were doing in Afghanistan and while we eventually destroyed our enemy in Iraq the Taliban was rebuilding in Afghanistan.
BTW other than oil what will be the next global currency that nations and peoples will fight over? With populations growing and resources static or dwindling this might eventually become the most expensive commodity on earth - usable water.

I have, as you suggest, asked myself how the media impacts current events and I've concluded it's impact is the best of and the worst of; an informed citizenry is necessary for a democratic republic to thrive. 24-7 news does inform and educated; yet, it no longer (if it ever did) stands apart from current events, it excelerates events, changes them as well as the players and the observers.
Elected officials and media moguls understand this very well, and use the dissemination of information to benefit themselves (yes, follow the money is good advice).
My problem with the 'conservative chic' (those "typical conservatives" you note above) is they are generally anti-intellecutual. I see very little critical thinking and even less honest evaluation/examination of core beliefs. It has become a philosophy filled with platitudes whose talking points are generally (mostly) based on emotion and not reason.
I spend some time listening to Limbaugh, Hannity and Dobbs and other 'leaders' of the "typical conservatives" speak (Gingrich, Palin, McConnell, Steale); such an activity requires active listening, for each in their own way, has mastered the art of sophistry. Now, I'm not suggesting the other side is not similarly motivated to employ invalid arguments to deceive, but it does appear to me that the motivation is different. And that is why I reject both the neoconservative ideology as well as those I see as adopting conservative ideals (the conservative chic). Objectivism is to me a rejection of the liberal paradigm which is the foundation upon which our great nation was founded, a rejection of the social contract encapsulated in the Preamble to (our) The Constitution.

Morning Yank, how are U?
I always feel safer flying now that I get to see everyones feet unshoed at the airport, don't you?
And I feel so safe going to NFL and MLB games after my sandwhich has been crushed by security. The NFL now hires 'security' to pat down every fan, never have they looked in my field glass case to see what was there. I suspect the security is more to prevent people bringing in their own beer. The stadium wants to sell 8 oz of beer for $10 and don't really give a damn that drunks at NFL games are a greater threat than a terrorist - there's a hell of a lot more drunks than terrorists.

Hey there Wry! I agree with you wholeheatedly. There was a 60 Minutes episode where a former head of the TSA stated that most of the security measures in place to day do nothing more than attempt to make people feel safe. These measures have not and do not actually make us any more safe.

I have, as you suggest, asked myself how the media impacts current events and I've concluded it's impact is the best of and the worst of; an informed citizenry is necessary for a democratic republic to thrive. 24-7 news does inform and educated; yet, it no longer (if it ever did) stands apart from current events, it excelerates events, changes them as well as the players and the observers.
Elected officials and media moguls understand this very well, and use the dissemination of information to benefit themselves (yes, follow the money is good advice).
My problem with the 'conservative chic' (those "typical conservatives" you note above) is they are generally anti-intellecutual. I see very little critical thinking and even less honest evaluation/examination of core beliefs. It has become a philosophy filled with platitudes whose talking points are generally (mostly) based on emotion and not reason.
I spend some time listening to Limbaugh, Hannity and Dobbs and other 'leaders' of the "typical conservatives" speak (Gingrich, Palin, McConnell, Steale); such an activity requires active listening, for each in their own way, has mastered the art of sophistry. Now, I'm not suggesting the other side is not similarly motivated to employ invalid arguments to deceive, but it does appear to me that the motivation is different. And that is why I reject both the neoconservative ideology as well as those I see as adopting conservative ideals (the conservative chic). Objectivism is to me a rejection of the liberal paradigm which is the foundation upon which our great nation was founded, a rejection of the social contract encapsulated in the Preamble to (our) The Constitution.

Wry,
I think that was a response to my post.. If I may make a suggestion, look at the bottom right of the post, locate the "quote" button. Everyone knows who you're responding to.
Thanks.
I completely disagree with the assessment that the typical conservative is anti-intellectual, however why and what constitutes a typical conservative is individually relative, hence what I believe is the source of the contention. Once again it is a paradigm issue. The anti-intellectual accusation is disingenuous at best and I believe the source of that accusation emanates from the Intellectual Elitists, those that promote what has been called "intellectual fascism". This is then picked up by those groups of people (in this case the leftists and social liberals) as ammunition for their own form of sophistry.
It is indicative of mass generalizations applied to groups (used on both sides) to "demonize" each other. The left's arguments and contentions concerning the right are no less emotionally driven than the right's arguments and contentions against the left. That is observable fact. Each side claims the moral high ground and uses any and all means to prove this but in doing so fails to realize they have ceded that high ground by utilizing such arguments, i.e. it closes the door to honest and productive discourse.

They make my socks feel dirty.
I think we have more to fear from over worked and stressed out air traffic controllers, the sky filled with too many airplanes and an industry economically stressed and cutting corners (do we really need to change the oil, mentality).
Now, though I'm a self described progressive, I do hold some reactionary ideas. Wouldn't it be nice if the US still had passenger rail roads with twenty-first century technology?
Our nation is in demise, not because we lack resources, physical or mental, but because a power elite (insurance and oil, tire and battery cartels) benefit from the status quo.

Morning Ring...my post above was in response to Yank.
Let me ponder your most recent post, and I'll get back with a response, maybe tomorrow. Today is my (and my wife's) 35th Wedding Anny, and I need to get a move on. We're heading to the coast for lunch, some beach time and a nice dinner.
We live about 30 miles from the coast (actually east of Berkeley, two sets of hills from the ocean, so the high here will be close to 100, at the beach it will be around 70).
Take care, I appreciate a real debate and thank you for posting an honorable opposition. I do listen (or read and think about other views when I'm not called names).
Wry.

It seems the hoi polloi of conservative Republicans and conservative independents are bereft of ideas. Never have I read a post from this class which suggests thought, all (and I'm not engaging in hyperbole) of their comments are negative.
They, as a group, never define problems - though they always blame (fill in the blank, liberals, Democrats, progresssives, women, non-whites, immigrants, Muslims, Jews) and never accept responsibility for problems or errors.
Typically they post the daily talking points, propaganda, lies, half-truths and rumors issued by leaders of the Republican Party (and The Dear Leader of the Republicans seems to be Rush Limbaugh).
Just once it would be nice if someone, anyone, who defines themselve as a conservative would define a serious problems (such as health care) and suggest real world solutions.

Listen s0n.....what can I say?? We conservatives are in the zone what with the news these days..................in fact, its hysterical time for us!!!
Consider.....................

> 1,000 banks to close in next year:eusa_clap:
> Obamacare in the toilet:D:D:D
> Below 50% approval rating for Obama:lol:
> Fed official yesterday says, "Unemployment rate closer to 16%":shock:
> Majority of economists predicting hyperinflation next year.:eek:
> 70% prefer fewer services and lower taxes
> Obama at minus 14 approval rating ( strongly approve vs strongly disapprove):funnyface:
> 74% think the job market is worse now than a year ago:eusa_shhh:
> Obama pwns self with beer summit.:lol:
> 41% consider themselves "conservative". 21% consider themselves liberal.:woohoo:
> Cash for clunkers = epic fail.......and now folks find out they owe taxes on purchases!!:oops:

My gay MSPaint Photoshop has been working overtime in recent months!!! And who knew??!!! Who could have possibly expected this guy to be such a fcukk up so quickly. Certainly not me.........at least, not this fast!!!

> Obama now perceived as breaking multiple campaign pledges by independents:eusa_liar:

Ive been telling all my lefty pals not to plan a drive into the mountains in the fall...............

980619631_ed8827aeb3_b-13.jpg

and back in February, I was a bit dejected even with the words of Mr Limbaugh so self-assurred that this epic decline would come quickly. I was dubious but as he says now..................

rush.jpg

Morning Ring...my post above was in response to Yank.
Let me ponder your most recent post, and I'll get back with a response, maybe tomorrow. Today is my (and my wife's) 35th Wedding Anny, and I need to get a move on. We're heading to the coast for lunch, some beach time and a nice dinner.
We live about 30 miles from the coast (actually east of Berkeley, two sets of hills from the ocean, so the high here will be close to 100, at the beach it will be around 70).
Take care, I appreciate a real debate and thank you for posting an honorable opposition. I do listen (or read and think about other views when I'm not called names).
Wry.

First off CONGRATULATIONS!! 35 years of marriage is an achievement to be proud of (in this day and age). My wife and I just had our 20th, married late, I was in my 30s she was mid twenties (yup, I'm a cradle robber :lol:).
Secondly, enjoy your day and stay cool!!!

Let the invisible hand of the FREE MARKET regulate healthcare or forever hold your peace and pay the consequences!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right.... like the deregulated banks - THAT'S who we want doling out life and death treatment - greedy & corrupt CEO's. Oh wait... that's what's happening now... Do you people pay attention at all???

regulation of the banking industry is different than creating a government run bank .....

he was not advocating deregulating the medical industry he was advocating removing the gofernment run portion of the medical industry .....

Forum List

Back