AIG is taking the US to court

Truthmatters

Diamond Member
May 10, 2007
http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/business/20aig.html?_r=1&hp

A.I.G. sued the government last month in a bid to force it to return the payments, which stemmed in large part from its use of aggressive tax deals, some involving entities controlled by the company’s financial products unit in the Cayman Islands, Ireland, the Dutch Antilles and other offshore havens.

A.I.G. is effectively suing its majority owner, the government, which has an 80 percent stake and has poured nearly $200 billion into the insurer in a bid to avert its collapse and avoid troubling the global financial markets. The company is in effect asking for even more money, in the form of tax refunds. The suit also suggests that A.I.G. is spending taxpayer money to pursue its case, something it is legally entitled to do. Its initial claim was denied by the Internal Revenue Service last year.

Good,I'm glad. Our congress critters are trying their hand at mob rule. They need to be told they aren't going to get away with it.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/20/business/20aig.html?_r=1&hp

A.I.G. sued the government last month in a bid to force it to return the payments, which stemmed in large part from its use of aggressive tax deals, some involving entities controlled by the company’s financial products unit in the Cayman Islands, Ireland, the Dutch Antilles and other offshore havens.

A.I.G. is effectively suing its majority owner, the government, which has an 80 percent stake and has poured nearly $200 billion into the insurer in a bid to avert its collapse and avoid troubling the global financial markets. The company is in effect asking for even more money, in the form of tax refunds. The suit also suggests that A.I.G. is spending taxpayer money to pursue its case, something it is legally entitled to do. Its initial claim was denied by the Internal Revenue Service last year.
good thing all you guys were so willing to give these guys all your moneyif you hadnt done so, they wouldnt have the funds to now be sueing your ass
LOL

it would be really funny if it wasnt also sueing MY ass, and i was against bailing out ANYONE

Good,I'm glad. Our congress critters are trying their hand at mob rule. They need to be told they aren't going to get away with it.

I just love this ... and not in a good way ....

So ... it's okay for the congress to fuck up and give them a ton of our money, then for them to turn around and be sued for even more of our money? Why do you think I, a long time Dem, would rather deal Bush Jr. still?

That would be because you, kit, unlike most Dems still have a functioning brain.

Thanks ... sometimes I wish I could just be a blind follower of some party ... it's bothersome because I don't agree with Republican stances on most issues, but the Dems are just being complete morons now. It's like they don't even have a stance anymore, and without a stance and brain ... what the hell do they have now?

The least experienced most untested and untried president in the entire history of the country. You hire an incompetent ignoramus you get an incompetent ignoramus.

Pertty much. Once he brought up his "educational" status I knew he was actually a moron (well before but that just re-enforced it). As I say "never hire an educated person to do any real work", the more they talk about what school they go to, the more they flash their degrees ... the less they really know.

Just a reminder to you partisans seeking to pin this mess entirely on the current administration?

Bush II gave the first two rounds of cash to AIG.

I know how inconvenient that might be to any of you who have the capacity to think beyond your prejudices, but there it is.

Just a reminder to you partisans seeking to pin this mess entirely on the current administration?

I know how inconvenient that might be to any of you who have the capacity to think beyond your prejudices, but there it is.

Where has anyone said differently about Bush starting this? Oh and the second one he procured, but passed it to President Obama.

Ed, the drum a lot of us are beating actually agrees with you. What were also saying though is two wrongs don't make a right and the shit that is happening now is not "change". Or you could argue that it's change for the worse..........

Want to bet? AIG just told the American Citizen that he is a loser. Just fork over the money, we are going to do whatever we like. Right now, they are telling the people that work at AIG not to wear or display company logos, for their own safety.

The American Citizen has realized that he has been the victum of major thievery, and is mad as hell. And will continue to be angry. The kind of anger that leads to major changes in the political and economic structure of this nation.

The least experienced most untested and untried president in the entire history of the country. You hire an incompetent ignoramus you get an incompetent ignoramus.

Your incompetant ignoramous created the present situation, and you are all for continuing the idiocy that got us where we are today. The upshot of this is that there is going to be some very strong laws demanded and passed concerning what corperations can and cannot do, even as to regard to compensation for their management. And there will be significant increases in taxes on the rich, with increased attention on how and where the money flow is. Offshore accounts will be penalized, one way or another.

Letting the economy crash would be even more distasteful than what we have to do to try to right the errors of the previous admin. We learned that in the First Great Republican Depression. However, we can fix this so the people that created this debacle do not profit from it. And we can address many of our nations very real problems while doing that.

Forum List

Back