Ahok got so many flowers after losing election

grbb

VIP Member
Oct 15, 2016
After election loss, City Hall flooded with flower boards and Ahok mobbed by fans expressing thanks and sympathy (PHOTOS) | Coconuts Jakarta

His approval rating is 70%
He is well known to stop corruptions.
People think he is unbeatable

Yet:

He is a christian in 80% muslim majority province.
He's very rude. He swears a lot. Okay he swears more than american. You got the fucking point?
He joked about people lying using Al maidah 51 not to pick him. Basically he said, if you don't pick me, you're fine. I set up my program to still benefit you long after I am gone. So if because of anything, say you are lied to by using Al maidah 51 or whatever, you don't pick me, that's fine.
Someone removed the word "by" from his text and spread it. It now looks like if you're lied to by Al maidah 51 and many people think he is accusing a letter in quran as "lying".
People straightened up the issue. However, his opponents try to use this to discredit him.
Al maidah 51 is a letter from quran that says that muslims cannot pick non muslim "wali". The word wali can means allies, friends, or leaders.
Obviously this isn't practiced by most muslims. Muslims routinely pick non muslims for many leadership position as CEO, managers, friends, and stuff. However, many religious leaders argue that this mean they can't vote for christian governors. And only Jakarta governor. The same muslim political parties have no compunction advocating non muslim leaders on other places.
Many muslims, from outside Jakarta, wage demonstrations. Cops decided that Ahok should go to trial. Usually politically motivated cases like this are postponed till election is over. Ahok tried to bring an egyptian ulama to testify that it's okay to pick non muslim governor. After all, quran was written long before democracy and it didn't mean that. The egyptian ulama is blocked by Indonesian ulama, that's most likely "well bribed".
On election day, 30% of muslims pick Anies, a moderate candidate. Ahok got 42% votes. 95% of protestants pick Ahok. Ahok lose elections.
Many are dissapointed that he lost. He did a great job. He fought corruption well. So they send flowers.

Forum List

Back