Ah, Starbucks!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Annie, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    I am a coffee fiend, I admit it. I drink way too much of the stuff. Because of that, I tend to like weak coffee, which Starbucks is not. However, my excercise regime includes a 2 mile walk to Starbucks at least 3 times a week. I usually get an 'iced coffee', black-regular stuff. Cheap as Starbucks can be. Now the lattes are about 75% more expensive, imagine doing that on credit! :fifty:

Think about it, $4000 in Starbucks over 10 years! That could seriously impact what career choices you make:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/06/17/AR2005061701226.html?nav=rss_nation

2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    Anyone in western WA who goes to Starbucks is either a) a Californian, b) an idiot, or c) both.

Starbucks is the most expensive of any coffee shop anywhere. I don't go to Starbucks locally unless I'm metting someone there, and then I only get drip coffee. For my regular drink (16 oz no-foam latte), Starbucks wants $3.50. The place I go to, which is a locally owned shop, charges $2.00. And between my house and the freeway, a three mile drive, there are no less than 17 places to get a latte. That includes three Starbucks, all within about a square mile of each other, which, for some reason, people keep going to, even though there are other coffee shops (and stands) that are quicker and cheaper. Boggles my mind.

3. ScreamingEagle

ScreamingEagle Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,158
    I bought a Starbucks Barista for home because the $3 latte grandes (even at my local favorite non-Star coffee shop) were really adding up. It cost about $300 but it paid for itself in about two months months because you can make a 16 oz. latte for about 30 cents. And you can use the coffee of your choice too.

I don't like putting up with egotistical Starbucks coffee clerks that think you must order your latte a certain way. This one guy kept insisting I say grande latte instead of latte grande. I told him there is no way I am going to learn a foreign language just to order a cup of coffee in America. That po'd the euro snot.
    :cof::salute:

4. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    I don't have the time to make my own... and the $2 I spend on a latte, while it adds up, is an incredible value.

But I agree... Starbucks baristas/baristos can be pretty stuck up. But I have met a few who are nice.